the pm summons are too weak

Post your tips, ideas for improvements, requests for new features, etc. here
CrazedInd
Noob

the pm summons are too weak

Post by CrazedInd »

the pm summon is a little, no a lot, on the weak side. I just got to animate dead, at level 6 (total level, two levels of pm), i get a skeleton archer with 9 hp. Is this supposed to make me not want to choose pm? Just a plea to scale the pm's summons.
Signed CrazedInd

QuickLightning
Pk Bait

Post by QuickLightning »

that was already planned if im not mistaken

Qui
Looking for group

Post by Qui »

I think this is an issue of all the PrCs summons not being done, or put in place, like the Shadow dancers summon with a massive 19 hp. and +1 AB..
"If you are 20 and not yet a communist you lack heart, If you are 30 and you are still a communist you lack rationality" ~ dont remember.

Thanos
Looking for group

Post by Thanos »

Last I heard Deputy Dog was going through all the classes and he made a spread sheet with new improved summons and now he was working on templates for all them. Seems like a pretty big job.

CrazedInd
Noob

Post by CrazedInd »

whoa :shock:
way to go devs :D [/i]
Signed CrazedInd

meatbean
Pk Bait

Post by meatbean »

bah!!! Summons are for wusses any way! Everybody and thier dog has a summons seems like! :lol: J/k.
Pestilence of Clan Freakery, Phil Latio of Clan Freakery, The One of Clan Freakery. Major Pain, Cpl. Punishment.

Acce
Noob

Post by Acce »

Slightly of topic but...

*sarcastic comment start*
No wonder, I'd rather have a summon then a player as tank :twisted: .... as the summon is way better then the player...

Instead of my barbarian I should have made a cleric, then I would be able to summon something that has is of higher level then me, fights atleast as good as the barbarian I have, has more hitpoints will keep me out of trouble and of course AND the big finale... if it dies, just summon another one.

Of course, I'm not talking about that 19hp shadow ;)

*sarcastic comment end*

The prc summons that usually only have one summon per day, should be stronger the the "unlimited" summons that are called witht the spells 1-9

However, I think the summons (1-9) are currently to strong as the classes capable of casting the spells are powerfull even without them (mages/clerics)

dond
Newbie Helper

Post by dond »

i disagree. summons are not anywhere near a replacement for melee types. they also cost a spell slot, and if scribing xp/gold!

you should see how fast faction guards/dragons tear thru summons 9s/gate, yet they can't even hurt a fighter. not to mention a fighter can carry around 200 heal pots...

also, the summons aren't really that bright. the dragons that cost a cleric a domain decides to spend 10 rounds or so casting daze and magic missile at the target....

prc summons should be dependant on how many lvls of the prc you have, and not the fixed summon line as summons i - ix. they should also last longer (turns as opposed to rounds like gate).

on a side note, anyone tried out the epic summons? (caster ones as well as epic fiend and shadowlord)

Qui
Looking for group

Post by Qui »

another problem is the PrC summon that are 1 a day need to be treated like familiars.. in that they grow relative to the lvl of the user. but because it a PrC u cant have it grow relative to the number of lvls a char has in that PrC but rather it shoudl grow relative to its total number of lvls....
"If you are 20 and not yet a communist you lack heart, If you are 30 and you are still a communist you lack rationality" ~ dont remember.

Thanos
Looking for group

Post by Thanos »

Qui wrote:another problem is the PrC summon that are 1 a day need to be treated like familiars.. in that they grow relative to the lvl of the user. but because it a PrC u cant have it grow relative to the number of lvls a char has in that PrC but rather it shoudl grow relative to its total number of lvls....

They could grow at the prc level but the should start out at a much higher level. If the min level is level 8 before you can be a shadowdancer then the first summons they get should be 8 + prc level. The sumons for shadowdancer and blackguard should be long lasting they are supposed to be vassals or servents. Like a mages familiar.

ATI
Spamalot

Post by ATI »

No kidding summons are stupid..but they are effective meatshields, which are good to have when fighting off 5 spirit steals and 2 blood drinkers at once. However, My lvl 17 cleric has a AB of 37 when buffed completely...barbarians...I have no clue, but the bad part....hit me with mord's and suddenly my AB goes from 37 to a terrible 21...lame a hoy.

However, fighters don't attack as fast, as my cleric does, which is a little unfair if you ask me....Fighters/barbarians should be given something that makes them better for fights...maybe make special lvl 12 items for fighters and barbs only that give them haste 3x a day (only one per char) to symbolize the fighters and barbarians excellent combat skills? Or if haste is too scary for some of you (which i know it will be) maybe items that have special AB bonuses. Or, make unique power items that when activated by fighters and barbarians, they get +4 ab and +1d6 damage from lvl 12. These things would help barbarians and fighters solve the problem of clerics fighting better than fighters and barbarians...

Personally though...clerics always have been better fighters than barbarians and fighters, it just takes the right combination of feats and domains... it even works like that in PnP and regular NWN. Fighters and Barbarians need items that help solve the gap a little bit, with items and also with better weapons for them only. I'm sure this is being worked out though...so :D
I've tried fire, i've tried faith, and i've tried force, all I have left is hope.

Acce
Noob

Post by Acce »

ATI wrote:
....but the bad part....hit me with mord's and suddenly my AB goes from 37 to a terrible 21...lame a hoy.

Yes, that's the price for being a cleric :) .
(Only referring to mobs now) In my experience, in most mods (still partially limited in NS4), there're usually not "that" many mobs that casts dispell, mords, banish etc. to even out the differences between straight melees with casters. This means that in general, the cleric is a generally better class to pick then a straight melee. The power difference becomes even more evident on low magic worlds.

Most mods seem to follow a design where it's possible to level up to high levels without needing to fight other spellcasters (unless good gear is sought for), then at high levels it gets a little tougher. Seem to be like that on NS4 too (as the mod is currently designed to ~lvl 20, the high level areas would be the faction capitals where some spellcasters acutally are present.)

Anyways, I guess the developers are aware of this now :)

Midori
Noob

Post by Midori »

Get 30 levels of pm and you get a nice lesser demilich ;)
Grace, honor and nobility;
show these beforehand.
But when the battle begins,
attack with terrifying swiftness,
be the Diamond Shark,
relentless and ruthless.
- Passage 127, Verse 42, Lines 16-20

Return to “NS4 Ideas and Suggestions”