Raiding Partys and Defending

Post your tips, ideas for improvements, requests for new features, etc. here
iceburn
Noob

Raiding Partys and Defending

Post by iceburn »

I had a Idea of having a Defenders bonus if you kill a raiding player on your own turf you would get a bonus xp or something like that. This might keep higher level players in there home citys so that lower level players would not getting slaughter when a raiding party comes though.

I am pretty new to all this so I don't even know if something like that is possible, just an idea.

AndrewCarr
Spamalot

Post by AndrewCarr »

xp bonus for in town kills would be nice. I still think an xp bonus for killing ppl above easy difficulty is good, and possiblty losing xp for killing those easy and below.
Lindon Erithar
and
Quickie Mart the <a href='http://www.cultofokie.com'>Okie Ambassador</a>

Alexiagold
Looking for group

Post by Alexiagold »

Any form of exp penalty will REALLY suck. Trust me if implemented I promise you my sorc will never be more than effortless to you, because then I know every time I die, you lose exp, every time I win, I get exp. :D I'd favor an exp bonus for defenders as well as a large exp penalty for attackers, perhaps double the current death penalty if you die in an enemy town. This would make players a lot smarter about raiding and not just bind in Avendall and come down to NS and harass us, constantly respawning and coming back 8) .

Celorn
Relic Raider

this has been discussed in other threads...

Post by Celorn »

Even though this is a duplicate thread, I will have to post again - there definately has to be an incentive of some kind to defend your home town, getting XP is best imho, add a gold bonus even better, and give defenders a bonus aura would be cool too... though the NPC bards and clerics buff friendly PCs sometimes, but not always (is that a bug?) so if that is more reliable then that would be enough - then people may even heal and defend friendly NPCs.

---
-Celorn/Jain-

AndrewCarr
Spamalot

Post by AndrewCarr »

Yeah, killing things now for 11 xp so i guess that would be a bad idea. But i still like the xp bonus, since that's what i really want right now :)
Lindon Erithar
and
Quickie Mart the <a href='http://www.cultofokie.com'>Okie Ambassador</a>

Heydeive
Noob

Player Killing

Post by Heydeive »

The defense xp bonus is a good idea. :twisted:

Consider to involve certain areas of war perhaps at faction frontier territories where players get xp for killin each other.

This would give the faction wars some heat and also give some high lvl players a challange and reason to party. :twisted: :P :shock:

Bob
Newbie Helper

Post by Bob »

Highly exploitable if done wrong.

Celorn
Relic Raider

yes...

Post by Celorn »

The exploitability was talked about as well.

You'd have to wait to award XP bonus until the enemy respawns, but something would have to be done to disallow a rival faction member to bind to an enemy faction rift...

---
-Celorn/Jain-

Knightwing4
Looking for group

Post by Knightwing4 »

Hmm.. i just thought of a fun idea:

Invading the headquarters
The Invaders:
Objective: To invade the HQ, kill the king, and bring back his royal items
Reward: A nice load of XP or a free lvl
Story: You've decided to invade the kingdom, and either great glory awaits you, or great shame and punishment
How it works: As an invader, you must kill through mobs of units that gradually grow in power, finally reaching the king (Level 40), there will be units sprinkeled throughout with true seeing (the king will have it). When you get the king dies, get his items (undroppable), and run back to your own faction's king!

The defenders:
Objective: To stop them from killing your king!
Reward: A decent load of XP (scaled to lvl), obtained by ... (ideas devs? i don't know what's in your power)
Story: You're kingdom's being invaded! Go help them, hurry!
How it works: As a defender, if you kill someone in the 2nd area or later (not in the first area, to prevent exploits by newbs just running in and dieing), you get the xp as if he were a NPC you were fighting x20 xp (as if you just killed 20 of that NPC type, because it equals out when you figure time it took to running back and time took to kill him. No dishonor in dieing.

To prevent exploits:
Make the king's room rather large, and make it so that if you log, you come back in the start of the room, thus giving people time to get back
To further prevent it: There should be a person in a No PVP zone that defenders can go to to warp a side-zone close to the king's room, also to prevent camping, you can have no more than one of the kingly items in your inventory at a time

Also, make the items that the king drops only redeemable at a rival's faction, and make it so it makes you especially hated by your faction (so no reason to attack your own king, and if you try to steal the drop, well, now your faction hates you cuz they think you killed the king)

Ideas? Suggestions? An exploit i missed?

Edit: gonna make a new topic

Zodiac
Noob

Post by Zodiac »

At the behest of myself and other players whom at some point have fallen prey to a much higher level characters in our own home towns I think this thread deserves more feedback and a thourough review.

It has come to mine and many others attention more and more recently that despite the very foundation on which this PW is being built actual defending of ones home town never occurs due to low exp drops in the area combined with constraints placed on both buying and selling level 13+ equipment only in avendell. Full PvP is whats drawn me to this PW and I feel that the current class of PvP is a product of lack of both incentive and simple reason to ever come back to your factions home town.

My proposal at the momment is nothing as compicated as a penalty or reward system being put into place as the ammount of work the devs would need to do would be considerable.

A fix as simple as making it so that a shopkeeper in any of the factions hometown capable of Identifying and buying (not selling) level 13 + equipment would give Epic level characters a reason to at least come to the gates of their home town to ID high level equipment and or sell it off instead of making the sometimes arduous trek to avendell.

Example : The Minotaur lich in the highlands just outside Daeron in NC is a freaquent target for anyone interesting in higher level equipment such as imbued mithril or the infamous staff of the dead it drops. A higher level char 15+ would no longer be required to travel to avendell just to have it ID's let alone sold, Provided the player is of NC origin he can simply return to town and talk shop. And (more often then not) be caught in and be called upon to defend his town against a raid.

This is a simple template open to expansion by anyone willing to offer their two cents on the subject.

As for myself the most fun Ive had in weeks was Raiding neversummer city and being challenged by a pair of level 25 + characters defending their home turf!

Kudos to Dark Belodawaste and Ion 'fr for fighting in the name of their faction! I only wish more epic chars would follow in their footsteps.

I encourage everyone and anyone to contribute to this post with their idead and suggestions.

~ Sir Oren Nevelsmythes

Rowbot
Noob

Post by Rowbot »

A suggestion for promoting factional warfare.

Maybe each faction could have a special item of some sort...once you and your allies have captured all the other factions items they can be combined to open up a portal to the planar realms...not sure how to reward players...maybe everyone in the faction recieves an xp bonus dependant on level...with special bonuses to the players who actually captured the item.

Maybe there could be a way of temporarily overthrowing a city...by fulfilling certain requirements...destroy/steal certain placeables/items, kill NPCs.

HealingBreeze
Pk Bait

Post by HealingBreeze »

All in all I like the idea, especially the idea about an xp penalty for killing effortless - though you would need a script that logs who started the fight, to keep effortless from attacking just to make high levels lose xp.

This could single-handedly end the constant noob-slaying that has turned many people away from Neversummer. In order for it to be effective you would need a serious penalty, perhaps 1/2 of your normal respawn penalty?

I know something like that would make certain individuals think twice about spamming Isacc's Greater Missile Storm into a crowd of level 3-5's...

kiros
Noob

Post by kiros »

HealingBreeze wrote: though you would need a script that logs who started the fight, to keep effortless from attacking just to make high levels lose xp.

This is exactly why I am against XP penality. Often, defenders are much lower levels than the attackers. I often go back to the fight "again and again" in the hopes that the attacker will get bored (or injured) and that he will leave (or be killed by NPCs).

I think that "defender bonus" + "Not being able to bind to an enemy rift" + "wait until respawn" is the best solution to promote town defence.
"And now, may I make a right choice to change the evil fate of this unhappy day"
-Aragorn son of Arathorn
### Furion Whitehorn - Cleric (RK) ### Eledril Agurindar - Ranger/Rogue (LA)

HealingBreeze
Pk Bait

Post by HealingBreeze »

Also, there would be the danger of Cleave. That would log you as starting the fight when it was an accident.

Return to “NS4 Ideas and Suggestions”