Timer on transition

Post your tips, ideas for improvements, requests for new features, etc. here
Amoenotep
Lord DM Supreme

Re: Timer on transition

Post by Amoenotep »

sounds like someone has a faster trans time than you and really took advantage of it..also see:monk=speed so..u got outran
Mask, Lord of the Shadows
Gruumsh, One-Eye
amoenotep@hotmail.com
----------------------------------

Rufio
PKer

Post by Rufio »

That is a pretty out-there lag theory. To elaborate on what tep said, it sounds like they transitioned faster and hopped back to the map you were transitioning from while you were still in your loading screen. Essentially they made two transitions to your one and ended up on the other map. Sometimes if people transition really slow I'll jump back to the last map thinking they transitioned back and loose them as well.

I just liked the timer idea so yo don't have to chase people in and out of transitions rapidly like that trying to guess which side they are on. It is one of the more annoying escape tactics.
Sebastian (TSS) Doc - Rufio of (TSS) - Dagr (TSS)
Raijin {FoN} - Arcadia {FoN} - Geb {FoN}

Daral0085
Newbie Helper

Post by Daral0085 »

It is one of the more annoying escape tactics.
I agree. I use that trick on occasion, but it's not satisfying even if it works, and it's really annoying when somebody else uses it and gets away from me. I much prefer hipster cheese to transition cheese.
Bargeld wrote:It's been shown in past relic events even, if NC actually has a decent amount of players involved, they will win.

mining
Absentee Ballot Dev

Post by mining »

Daral0085 wrote:I much prefer hipster cheese to transition cheese.
I'll bet you do.
Bargeld wrote:Overall, I think most would agree that a pure rogue is probably the worst build on the server.

Nyeleni
Relic Raider

Post by Nyeleni »

report wrote:
mining wrote:I think he's trying to say that the 'fix' would cause no lag, and prevent people from trans hopping like a derp. Its interesting, and maybe worth considering.

Exactly, I'll trow in an example from real game: a cot pally monk steals a relic from rk, a wizard/sd with 110 spot damages it to "near death" , untill the cot start going in and out between lake and gatehouse map , many times until it disappears from the screen.. I am not 100% sure how this trick works but i suppose it has something to do with lag. Probably it increases general lag and puts the spotter in a condition he has not time to do the spot check giving the "rabbit" time to zone back accumulating lag and delay to move behind a wall or a ramp. Guess who was the cot?

A cot pally monk doesnt have hide or move silently - at least no one I would know of... I think you have your facts wrong, as usual...

Although I'm still in favour of implementing a cool down for transitioning.

Amoenotep wrote:sounds like someone has a faster trans time than you and really took advantage of it..also see:monk=speed so..u got outran
Actually having a much slower transition helps too. Wouldn't be first time I see my hunter disappear from sight, as he or she thinks I'm ahead of them.
Aiya Mielikki! CELEB ALCONTARI CUYO ANANN!

For the Glory of Torm! Clericus Liberatus Anno Dominis - Gloria Triadis!

Lokey
-2 Penalty in Daylight

Post by Lokey »

Sorry, forgot to mention my loathing of this sort of meta-gaming.

Even though it's not a huge hit on the server in general, I'll be happy to delete the vaults of people that do as described above.
Tep wrote:I login and there's a dwarf to kill. You can't ask for much more than that.

Alkapwn wrote:NC has the most amazing melee build there is. Its a friggin unstopable juggernaut of pain.

Eldaquen
Newbie Helper

Post by Eldaquen »

One of the things that affects your load time is the amount of other programs running on a players system. If your having issues keeping up with people through transitions try reviewing what programs are running while you are playing, and reduce the number of them to only what is absolutely necessary.
Murphy's Law:
Nothing is as easy as it looks.
Everything takes longer than you expect.
And if anything can go wrong,
It will, at the worst possible moment.

hond
Looking for group

Post by hond »

A cot pally monk doesnt have hide or move silently
always tought that monk have access to hide/move silently....must be wrong...

Nyeleni
Relic Raider

Post by Nyeleni »

Sure they do, but that build needs the skill points somewhere else. Besides you really don't need hide and ms to be succesful, you have a high ab, high ac and very high saves.

Bargeld
PKer

Post by Bargeld »

True advice, elda... but most programs aren't hefty enough to make a noticeable difference in your trans time. If you have a program open that could potentially have an impact, chances are you already know that you are going to be running slowly because you have both IT and NWN open at the same time.

There are a few of us out there that can be alt tabbing between photoshop and itunes while playing, but usually it's pretty obvious when someone has this advantage. I look at it similar to toons and player logins; start learning who is fast vs who is slow and use that info to benefit you as best as possible. Knowing that someone loads slower or faster than you allows you to win the trans game that is so hated. For example, I am a fast loader, and I am used to loading faster than 95% of the people I come across. I tend to assume that, when I am chasing someone at trans, transing will close the distance gap because they will load slower than me. Say I am right behind someone, already swinging... they trans with me right behind them. My natural instinct is that I will get there first and be waiting for them. So I show up on the other side and don't see anyone. So I stand and wait for them to appear. If they load slower than me, then poof, they will appear and get the beatdown and possibly continue this pattern for a few maps. But lets say I am overconfident and I'm chasing Weasel aliased. His computer actually loads faster than me (gasp!). If he trans'ed back even 1x before I loaded, then I would probably be standing there for a good 5 or 10 seconds waiting for someone to appear. Meanwhile, he is 5 or 10 seconds PAST the other side of the trans, escaping. Knowledge is power ;)

It also seems like an appropriate time for a confession here... I started playing NS4 on a 5 year old laptop. 4 years ago. Once I had Laufer (monk runner SD, was my 4th or 5th toon) I used to get REALLY frustrated that I could outrun someone across a map, only to have them standing there waiting for me when I finally loaded on the next trans. It actually prompted me to buy the computer I have currently. I spent $1100 on a computer so I could play a $20 game that was 10 years old. 4 years later, every time I outrun someone, I think to myself 'that was totally worth it'.

Btw, it doesn't matter if you hade hide/MS. He was stating that he had spot in order to imply that the person definately didn't sneak away. They got away the same as the example I gave above vs. Weasel.
Death Dealers ::DD::
Laufer - Gemetzel - Force - Little Fist - Egil - Torture - Hatshepsu - Nemesis - Hierophant - Supernaut - Flesh Hound - Insurrection - Antithesis - Dead of Winter - Volcanus 2000

Noob

Post by report »

Nyeleni wrote:
report wrote:
mining wrote:I think he's trying to say that the 'fix' would cause no lag, and prevent people from trans hopping like a derp. Its interesting, and maybe worth considering.

Exactly, I'll trow in an example from real game: a cot pally monk steals a relic from rk, a wizard/sd with 110 spot damages it to "near death" , untill the cot start going in and out between lake and gatehouse map , many times until it disappears from the screen.. I am not 100% sure how this trick works but i suppose it has something to do with lag. Probably it increases general lag and puts the spotter in a condition he has not time to do the spot check giving the "rabbit" time to zone back accumulating lag and delay to move behind a wall or a ramp. Guess who was the cot?

A cot pally monk doesnt have hide or move silently - at least no one I would know of... I think you have your facts wrong, as usual...

Although I'm still in favour of implementing a cool down for transitioning.

Amoenotep wrote:sounds like someone has a faster trans time than you and really took advantage of it..also see:monk=speed so..u got outran
Actually having a much slower transition helps too. Wouldn't be first time I see my hunter disappear from sight, as he or she thinks I'm ahead of them.

The trick doesn't need any hide/ms at all. Rather than saying I have the facts wrong "as usual" why don't you admit that you cheat with transgaming when you carry a relic "as usual". The cot was your Eve Silk [CLAD], and you thought you were smart enough with your igms reflect robe, forgot i had bigby melf and ice storm to wreck you, and started transgaming. You are well known around the community to do that.

Nyeleni
Relic Raider

Post by Nyeleni »

Heh, I very rarely use Eve Silk to raid. That I even succeeded, is already a feat, as it isn't the best pally monk CoT running around; I can't even remember when that has happened.
And if you think this is cheating then you shouldn't run around with the AORK :D. I'm not saying you are cheaters (especially HNs are mostly honourable players) but there are quite some bad apples in your tree. But maybe it's only cheating if the other is doing something you don't like, isn't it?

And about having the facts wrong I could dig up your former posts, but I'm too lazy for it. Maybe I'm wrong?

Anyways, I'm still in favour of a cool down on transitions.

PS. And I'm glad for being well known for playing smart... Or should I just wait for a caster to wreck my meleer? Now having mages that is cheese.

Noob

Post by report »

Cheating is disappearing with a relic by abusing of transition lag. You did it with your monk stunner last week iirc. Ran away with a relic, but you wanted to shine and attempted to stun my archer between 2 foothills maps. Stun failed and you started transgame as last resort. (your hp was near death iirc)
You had enough speed to run away with the relic, don't need to play Houdini with the lag (now i'm being nice :) )

Anyway. Im for a more balanced relic game, I wish this could have been applied only to people carrying a relic. (I imagine the mess of a timer affecting level up parties, spawning sabars, efreeti etc..)

Nyeleni
Relic Raider

Post by Nyeleni »

What the heck is transition lag? I think you are mixing two things here which don't belong. Sometimes you just disappear because the other is too slow or too fast to catch you, while you already transitioned or are still in transition. Nothing to do with lag.
Was that a NC char who tried to stun you? If so, I only have one stunner and that is a TC char. Sorry that I tried to shine? I hardly do things for glory while playing, I just tried to survive and have fun. Apparently that is a concept which you don't understand. A runner runs away, it won't wait for you to shoot it down.

And while we are talking about dubious things we do: How many multiloggers have you exactly in AORK? And I think two of you even multilog up to 5 accounts at once? Or am I mistaken?
You really can't accuse me of metagaming while you have a bard or/and a cleric in the background who is only a buffer (prolly not you report, but then again I don't know what chars you use, and don't care). Do you think that is fair? That's why throwing stones while in a glass house is a bad idea...

rocketkai
Pk Bait

Post by rocketkai »

That's why I almost never bothered to chase any raiders that run away with relics. I hate you fast loaders. I need to replace my 5-year old laptop sooner :(
Bargeld wrote:True advice, elda... but most programs aren't hefty enough to make a noticeable difference in your trans time. If you have a program open that could potentially have an impact, chances are you already know that you are going to be running slowly because you have both IT and NWN open at the same time.

There are a few of us out there that can be alt tabbing between photoshop and itunes while playing, but usually it's pretty obvious when someone has this advantage. I look at it similar to toons and player logins; start learning who is fast vs who is slow and use that info to benefit you as best as possible. Knowing that someone loads slower or faster than you allows you to win the trans game that is so hated. For example, I am a fast loader, and I am used to loading faster than 95% of the people I come across. I tend to assume that, when I am chasing someone at trans, transing will close the distance gap because they will load slower than me. Say I am right behind someone, already swinging... they trans with me right behind them. My natural instinct is that I will get there first and be waiting for them. So I show up on the other side and don't see anyone. So I stand and wait for them to appear. If they load slower than me, then poof, they will appear and get the beatdown and possibly continue this pattern for a few maps. But lets say I am overconfident and I'm chasing Weasel aliased. His computer actually loads faster than me (gasp!). If he trans'ed back even 1x before I loaded, then I would probably be standing there for a good 5 or 10 seconds waiting for someone to appear. Meanwhile, he is 5 or 10 seconds PAST the other side of the trans, escaping. Knowledge is power ;)

It also seems like an appropriate time for a confession here... I started playing NS4 on a 5 year old laptop. 4 years ago. Once I had Laufer (monk runner SD, was my 4th or 5th toon) I used to get REALLY frustrated that I could outrun someone across a map, only to have them standing there waiting for me when I finally loaded on the next trans. It actually prompted me to buy the computer I have currently. I spent $1100 on a computer so I could play a $20 game that was 10 years old. 4 years later, every time I outrun someone, I think to myself 'that was totally worth it'.

Btw, it doesn't matter if you hade hide/MS. He was stating that he had spot in order to imply that the person definately didn't sneak away. They got away the same as the example I gave above vs. Weasel.

Return to “NS4 Ideas and Suggestions”