hiding exploit?

User-to-User support and questions to the Developers and DM team.
darkl4805
Noob

hiding exploit?

Post by darkl4805 »

How do you see a hiding PC? I tried True Seeing but that didn't work. There was a player tonight running around attacking me with a bow and then instantly hiding so I couldnt attack back. He didn't kill me but it was annoying as hell.

Is this a bug or just a known exploit?

JesterOI
Resident Spam King

Post by JesterOI »

It's not a bug, it sounds like the shadow dancer feat Hide in Plain Sight.

Also True Seeing won't reveal them because that's not what it's supposed to do. It's been edited for NS to work only on magical distortions to your sight.

Point skill points into Spot and Listen to counter people hiding. And, if you aren't an elf, you should turn on detect mode to find them faster.
LVL 69 LFGS!!!
The Hasselhoff 4 3v3r!!! Metis n3v3r!!!

darkl4805
Noob

Post by darkl4805 »

Wow that is seriously annoying and un-balanced. So basically unless you spend points in spot every level a high level hips'er is unbeatable...

You would think a 9th circle spell caster would have some way to detect this.

Kirg
Newbie Helper

Post by Kirg »

well I have too many points for skills anyway... just take those extra points and add them to listen... true seeing enhances that skill btw.

BR

Revenge
Pk Bait

Post by Revenge »

Oh yes that's right, Rogues have to max out both their hide and move silently skills in order to hide from people, while others only need to max out one skill in order to spot them... Gee how incredibly unfair...

Don't forget also that the spotter is the one rolling the opposed check, Which means if you have 35 hide and I have 30 listen, I only need to roll a 5 or better to see you, and I make this check once every single round.

For someone to never ever get spotted by you, they would need to hvae both their hide and move silently skills 20 points higher than yours...

Agifem
Noob

Post by Agifem »

Who has ever spent a single point in any of those skills ? skill points are precious.
A paladin needs Charisma, Strengh, Wisdom, Constitution, and a bit of Dexterity. That does not leave much for Intelligence...

I'm sorry about my bad english, i'm french.
In every lie lies a part of truth.

AndrewCarr
Spamalot

Post by AndrewCarr »

raise your int be 2. There's 40 skill points for you.
Putting them in listen is the best choice imo as it lets you listen thru obstructions like doors and see what mobs are nearby.
Lindon Erithar
and
Quickie Mart the <a href='http://www.cultofokie.com'>Okie Ambassador</a>

Agifem
Noob

Post by Agifem »

Raising a stat is no easy task.
A paladin needs Charisma, Strengh, Wisdom, Constitution, and a bit of Dexterity. That does not leave much for Intelligence...

I'm sorry about my bad english, i'm french.
In every lie lies a part of truth.

JesterOI
Resident Spam King

Post by JesterOI »

Boohoo, people have to change their characters now if they want to be relatively safe from stealth users. Suck it up. The way is there and it's simple. If you don't want to adapt, then die. (Character wise I mean, not in r/l ;) )

Don't want to get pp'd? Use boxes.
LVL 69 LFGS!!!
The Hasselhoff 4 3v3r!!! Metis n3v3r!!!

RahzeL
Noob

Post by RahzeL »

AndrewCarr wrote:raise your int be 2. There's 40 skill points for you.
Putting them in listen is the best choice imo as it lets you listen thru obstructions like doors and see what mobs are nearby.

I'd say both spot and listen are important, if you dont spot them, then they can still sneak you :evil:
****Godfoda of Noyse****
@(-_-)@

AndrewCarr
Spamalot

Post by AndrewCarr »

I'd rather spend points on something like spellcraft(when i take bard lvls) for saves, tumble to max ac, discipline to resist taunts(i think it works for that at least) and disarm.., along with hide/sneak which i generally max anyway. Besides that, with the others complaining about not being able to max all their stats, one i'd said would be the minimum. I'd love max spot/listen/search but they're not mandatory for me, and i don't think they are for others. Then again, if you want your char to spot others, you should sacrifice something for it. Like scouts in SB, even though many expected to be able to spot and still fight just like ppl who couldn't...
Lindon Erithar
and

Shasz
Pk Bait

Post by Shasz »

Gosh, sounds like balance coming into play... you can't max one thing without sacrificing in others... Darnit!

I always put points into listen... it helps against those sneakers, and like someone else said, reveals what's behind doors, and more of the map ahead of you.

True Seeing, I believe, gives you a boost of like 10 to your listen and spot skills, so it *does* help you see people hiding, but doesnt' reveal them.
Rolin Thunderstone - Defender of Ragnar's Kin

Kirg
Newbie Helper

Post by Kirg »

AndrewCarr: Concentration helps against taunt, not discipline but that is very good against knockdown and disarm.

BR

AndrewCarr
Spamalot

Post by AndrewCarr »

:/ i guess i'd go with discipline then. Losing weapons to disarm is a pain(i wish they'd go to your inventory like when armor is "torn away") and knockdown is well... a big problem.
But taunt is always nice to use against high ac people, so that's something to consider for a lot of melees.
Lindon Erithar
and

vadvaro
Noob

some classes get few skill points

Post by vadvaro »

don't forget that alot of classes don't get skill points like wizards with hing int and rogues. for example my cleric gets enough points for 5 or so skills, and my fighter gets enough for about 3. and spot has never been one i felt i should spend points on, what else hides?
catchy phrase goes here

Return to “NS4 Help and Support”