enhancement bonus' bonus damage bug inquiry

User-to-User support and questions to the Developers and DM team.
Garn
Noob

enhancement bonus' bonus damage bug inquiry

Post by Garn »

so I noticed that there is a certain bug in NWN:HotU 1.69, like without any server-specific changes; I'd like to know if this server has that bug
basically, if a weapon has both an enhancement bonus and a damage bonus of the weapon's base damage type, they won't stack, and i think the extra damage bonus overrides the enhancement bonus but im sure about the part before the comma
i tested this in a charatcer-testing mod(PGCC) that uses 1.69 HotU game mechanics

so say you've got a golden mithril longsword
its base damage type is slashing, it deals 2d10 bonus slashing damage, and it has a +5 enhancement, not attack, bonus
because of this bug, the +5 slashing damage from the enhancement bonus does not apply, but it would apply if it was a warhammer or a spear, and the 2d10 slashing damage was still slashing damage
and if you had an imbued mithril dagger, the +3 piercing damage from the enhancement bonus wouldn't apply because of the 2d6 piercing damage bonus thats also on the weapon
of course in both cases the attack bonuses from the enhancement bonuses still apply

this server does, according to my guy's character sheet, have this bug(enhancement bonus' damage doesn't show up on the sheet, but AB boost does), but I'm not entirely sure after looking at the combat log
I also asked another guy who uses a morningstar if the bonus damage from his enhancement bonus showed up on his character sheet, and he said yes
if this server does have this bug though, it means that morningstars, halberds, and scythes do some more damage than other weapons, and I'm not sure about weapons with extra melee damage types as an added weapon property, but maybe those are stronger too
this is because the enhancement bonuses give bludgeoning-piercing or piercing-slashing damage, which aren't overriden by individual bludgeoning, piercing, or slashing damage flares on the weapon itself

also another other related question: given the above, does tymora's smile's bludgeoning damage bonus not work for bludgeoning weapons with an enhancement bonus, or is that bonus applied to your skin or something?

Tarias
Noob

Re: enhancement bonus' bonus damage bug inquiry

Post by Tarias »

You are correct that an enhancement bonus does not stack with a damage bonus of the weapon's base damage type. However I'm not sure this is a bug? It's quite well document that enhancement bonuses work this way, see for example the nwn wiki article about enhancement bonuses: http://nwn.wikia.com/wiki/Enhancement_bonus.

You are also correct that this makes many of the mixed damage type weapons do more damage, since for example a morning star's enhancement bonus will add bludge-pierce, which will stack with the added bludge or added pierce damage on the weapon because those aren't damage bonuses of the weapons base type. All of this applies to weapons with an extra melee damage type as well, as it essentially turns them into these double damage type weapons. Note that scythes are pure slash weapons on this server, so they are in the "weaker" category when it comes to damage types.

As for Tymora's smile specifically I'm not sure, but my understanding is that most effects like that, other examples being bard song and aura vs alignment, add bludge damage on the character sheet, but actually provide extra damage of the weapons base type that stacks with other sources of extra damage. Don't quote me on this last part though, I'm sure mining could provide an even more detailed answer, as I've learned most of what I know on this topic from him (and the wiki).

MrAsimov
Pk Bait

Re: enhancement bonus' bonus damage bug inquiry

Post by MrAsimov »

This is not a bug. Typically different damage amounts of the same damage type do not stack, whether they are physical or elemental, only the higher damage is applied. So just as when your weapon does 2d8 fire damage and you cast 2d4 flame weapon and only the higher of the two is actually used in combat, the bonus damage on the weapon is greater than the enhancement. The reason weapons with two damage types get the enhancement bonus damage to which you refer added, is that it doesn't stack with a single damage type because it is being considered both types. e.g. Bralk's Might halberd is +3 and does +2d10 slash damage. It is slash/pierce. So the +3 slash damage is lower than +2d10 so it does +2d10 slash damage, but +3 pierce is higher than no bonus pierce damage and therefore it gets the +3 pierce bonus. Whereas the Lorewarden Halberd +5 does +2d6 slash and +2d6 pierce damage. The +5 slash and +5 pierce are both lower than the respective bonus damage on the weapon and therefore you don't get any bonus exept the +2d6 slash and +2d6 pierce.

Things such as bard song, and aura vs alignment, and Tymora's smile are not applied directly to the weapon, which is why they DO stack with other physical damage, and also why they work on any weapon wielded. The damage type while showing on the sheet as bludge damage is actually the base physical damage of the weapon being wielded.
Confusion is just a state of mind.

Return to “NS4 Help and Support”