Can't see toons

User-to-User support and questions to the Developers and DM team.
sknymick
Noob

Can't see toons

Post by sknymick »

Returning after a long absence, and a windows 10 reinstall. Logged in to find my characters all gone, on 3 different accounts. Logged into IRC and somebody assisted me in determining that my account had not, in fact, been wiped, but I have some serious NWN problems. Did a fresh install, and the problem persists. Here are some symptoms:

Login
Can't see toons
Can't select toons
Can create a new toon, but don't know what that would do
Can't see other players icons on the right
But I can see "6/64" on the server tab, so I know they're there.

I'm sure I'm missing some stupid .xls (I know that's an extension that has NOTHING to do with NWN) file or something, but I was hoping someone would laugh at me and tell me how to fix it.

Thanks
Sknymick

Bargeld
PKer

Re: Can't see toons

Post by Bargeld »

Sounds like your login is incorrect. Since there are no passwords or account creations anymore, you wouldn't be told that you are on a new or invalid account... it would just login with 0 toons. Login/account names ARE case sensitive. Also, whenever you attempt a change of logins, you need to cancel the first attempt, and try it a second time. The current login system seems to want to remember your last login and will log you in under the previous login instead of the current one whenever you change your login name. Easiest way to make the suggestion: always try to login twice in a row.

The player icons on the top right are only for people in your party, not the general population, so the 6/64 discrepancy means nothing, unless I am misunderstanding you.

Perhaps a DM/Dev can assist by manually finding the valid account name. They will probably want to know the names of some of the toons (which can be PM'ed once you get in contact with them).
Last edited by Bargeld on Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Death Dealers ::DD::
Laufer - Gemetzel - Force - Little Fist - Egil - Torture - Hatshepsu - Nemesis - Hierophant - Supernaut - Flesh Hound - Insurrection - Antithesis - Dead of Winter - Volcanus 2000

mining
Absentee Ballot Dev

Post by mining »

Bargeld wrote:Sounds like your login is incorrect. Since there are no passwords or account creations anymore, you wouldn't be told that you are on a new or invalid account... it would just login with 0 toons.

The player icons on the top right are only for people in your party, not the general population, so the 6/64 discrepancy means nothing, unless I am misunderstanding you.

Perhaps a DM/Dev can assist by manually finding the valid account name. They will probably want to know the names of some of the toons (which can be PM'ed once you get in contact with them).
The issue is a little more dire than this, unfortunately - the 6/64 discrepancy is with the list of logged in toons.
Bargeld wrote:Overall, I think most would agree that a pure rogue is probably the worst build on the server.

Bargeld
PKer

Post by Bargeld »

Is NWN installed in the 64 bit 'Program Files' instead of x86 one? That could cause wonkiness.
Laufer - Gemetzel - Force - Little Fist - Egil - Torture - Hatshepsu - Nemesis - Hierophant - Supernaut - Flesh Hound - Insurrection - Antithesis - Dead of Winter - Volcanus 2000

Bargeld
PKer

Post by Bargeld »

Did they try the pacth fix thing that is needed on some installations?

I'm just brainstorming here 8)

sknymick
Noob

Post by sknymick »

More (un)developments:

Did a complete re-install. Deleted old folders etc... Patched with the nwvault critical rebuild. Went to log in, and same thing.

I started a new local game, and other than a long hang on the first load screen, everything works fine.

I KNOW this problem is only on my end. DM/Dev's can login using my account and my toons are populated. I can't see "people" logged in when I login, but I can see that people are on.

Perhaps it's some .net issue? Tried installing the .net 4.6.1 and it said I already had it.

Based on current facts (actual game functions fine, only has problem with online) I'm guessing something networky.

After work, I will try installing on my wife's laptop and see. Maybe it's my super horrible AT&T internet.

Thanks for all your brainpower folks.

Sknymick

Bargeld
PKer

Post by Bargeld »

Maybe make sure the entire installation directory has full permissions. Right click the top level of the install directory and go into the Security tab. Check permissions there for all the accounts and make sure they all have full control.

sknymick
Noob

Post by sknymick »

Bargeld wrote:Maybe make sure the entire installation directory has full permissions. Right click the top level of the install directory and go into the Security tab. Check permissions there for all the accounts and make sure they all have full control.
Done, but no joy.

Headed to work. Really appreciate the communal brain power.

Sknymick

Lokey
-2 Penalty in Daylight

Post by Lokey »

Aggressive firewall might have something to do with it. You said you did login, I guess the character you made doesn't show up in your list too?
Tep wrote:I login and there's a dwarf to kill. You can't ask for much more than that.

Alkapwn wrote:NC has the most amazing melee build there is. Its a friggin unstopable juggernaut of pain.

sknymick
Noob

Post by sknymick »

Lokey wrote:Aggressive firewall might have something to do with it. You said you did login, I guess the character you made doesn't show up in your list too?
Correct. I have about 15 toons I can't see. Also, I can't create new ones. I tried that and it gave some strange server message to a DM/Dev as it kicked me off.

Tried turning off the windows firewall (completely) and logging in, but get the same result. Running AVG anti-virus (which I've always run)... Don't think windows10 uses .net, cause I can't see any of them in my windows bits.

This all comes as a result from a recent Windows crash and subsequent fresh install. I'm almost convinced it has to be a wonky driver, but I can't figure which one it'd be.

Skny

Lokey
-2 Penalty in Daylight

Post by Lokey »

What happens when you ran the OC or something single player? Also is it on your c: drive? If not, try a sim-link on C to the location of your install unless it's in Program Files (x86).

Saw a mention of needing to run the installer in compatibility mode too, as well as dx 9c (which it seems you have addressed). Also check your install, for example my /data folder is 3.1 gB (but that's a simple copy, not sure what could be a problem).

So tell us what happens single player. If still weird, try the critical rebuild patch in compatibility mode. Then think about install location and OS wonkiness.
Tep wrote:I login and there's a dwarf to kill. You can't ask for much more than that.

Alkapwn wrote:NC has the most amazing melee build there is. Its a friggin unstopable juggernaut of pain.

sknymick
Noob

Post by sknymick »

Lokey wrote:What happens when you ran the OC or something single player? Also is it on your c: drive? If not, try a sim-link on C to the location of your install unless it's in Program Files (x86).

Saw a mention of needing to run the installer in compatibility mode too, as well as dx 9c (which it seems you have addressed). Also check your install, for example my /data folder is 3.1 gB (but that's a simple copy, not sure what could be a problem).

So tell us what happens single player. If still weird, try the critical rebuild patch in compatibility mode. Then think about install location and OS wonkiness.
OC runs without a hitch. It's installed directly on the C: (C:\Neverwinternights\NWN).

Will try Crit Rebuild in compatibility. It's just so odd that I can actually get to the server screen, but all the toons are missing.

Skny

sknymick
Noob

Post by sknymick »

Realized this still seemed to be hanging open, so I thought I'd "close" it.

Turned out, after 2 fresh installs (that weren't really fresh), I went through all the steps to re-install, and update the .hosts file... It would seem my hosts file had been reset, and after I added the below:

127.0.0.1 nwmaster.bioware.com
127.0.0.1 nwnauth.kr.infogrames.com

Now works like a champ (for a while).

Thanks for putting up with all the angst I caused :)

Skny

Lokey
-2 Penalty in Daylight

Post by Lokey »

I guess nwnx changed the behavior from timeouts since the auth server stopped working? Something to look into.

Return to “NS4 Help and Support”