New comp runs NWN like crap

User-to-User support and questions to the Developers and DM team.
Rickdawg84
Noob

New comp runs NWN like crap

Post by Rickdawg84 »

So I bought a new laptop a while back because I thought my 8 year old comp finally crapped out. Figured out one of my sticks of RAM went bad and was causing the whole problem, but I kept the laptop anyway.

The specs on my laptop blow my desktop away yet it runs NWN way worse. Anyone else have issues with newer comps not running this game as well?

Following are my comp specs...

Desktop-
AMD 64X dual core 2.2 gig
2 gig RAM (was 4 gig)
Radeon x1650 series (think 512 mb RAM)
Windows XP

Laptop-
Intel i7 quad core 2.2 gig
8 gig RAM
Radeon HD 6490M (512 mb RAM)
Windows 7

I've heard that Windows 7 does not run this game well. Could that be my issue? Not very knowledgable of computers :-)

Daral0085
Newbie Helper

Re: New comp runs NWN like crap

Post by Daral0085 »

I run on win7 with no problems.
Bargeld wrote:It's been shown in past relic events even, if NC actually has a decent amount of players involved, they will win.

Rufio
PKer

Post by Rufio »

That is more than enough to run it on full settings. How does it run in singleplayer? For multiplayer, If your desktop had a direct wired connection to the internet and your laptop is running wireless, you might be noticing more lag. Wireless just isn't as good for online gaming.

I just moved into a new apartment and can't get a cable to my desk, so I am having to play wirelessly. That combined with the shoddy internet connection here has been giving me awful lag lately.
Sebastian (TSS) Doc - Rufio of (TSS) - Dagr (TSS)
Raijin {FoN} - Arcadia {FoN} - Geb {FoN}

Ajantis.
Spamalot

Post by Ajantis. »

Run as administrator, sometimes that is enough, or at least a good start.
Temet Nosce

We follow the righteous path, the path of Helm.

Opie Crimeria
Noob

Post by Opie Crimeria »

I thought there was another thread that covered some of the issues w/ W7.

I know most of my problems were due to video card drivers. I have ATI 4770 running. A driver version borked the card for NWN. I run ATI V10.6 now and do not have too many problems.

I think 'shiny water' and another high end option still cause me problems.

Rickdawg84
Noob

Post by Rickdawg84 »

Thanks all for the help. I have not tried playing in single player. I am hardwired with my laptop though so it shouldn't be wireless lag.

I have been running it as admin. If I don't, it won't even start the game.

I also have tried turning down the graphics settings. That doesn't seem to fix it.

I will look into the video card driver idea.

Thanks again!

Nyeleni
Relic Raider

Post by Nyeleni »

Have you tried running it in the compatibility mode for windows xp?

I run it with windows 7 too, and I get some weird lag then and again if it gets new graphic elements. Like opening a loot bag, encountering a mob, etc.
Aiya Mielikki! CELEB ALCONTARI CUYO ANANN!

For the Glory of Torm! Clericus Liberatus Anno Dominis - Gloria Triadis!

mining
Absentee Ballot Dev

Post by mining »

You need to go in your .ini and set CPUCoreAffinity (or something) to -2 or something or it runs horribly.
Bargeld wrote:Overall, I think most would agree that a pure rogue is probably the worst build on the server.

Lt.Mad.Joe
Noob

Post by Lt.Mad.Joe »

I had a similar problem when I got my new computer, what I had done was copy the game file to the new computer with a External hard drive. It was very slow and very laggy, so I did a new install with the disks and now it works fine. I run it on windows 7

Its probally not a exact fix but it worked for me.. Good Luck I know how fustrating it can be :(
Walnut--Judas--L'Rhul

VagaStorm
Developer

Post by VagaStorm »

I just got a new laptop, and the game ran realy bad til i installed an older ati driver. I could log in, but it was like 1 or 2 fps, and I couldent see neither npcs or my self...
Best Regards
VagaStorm

Why would I want to count 12 hours twice? I’m perfectly capable of counting to 24, and while we’re at it, can someone go shoot named time zones. GMT+x is all we need!

Amoenotep wrote:if you die to harper that just means your build sucks.

Amoenotep
Lord DM Supreme

Post by Amoenotep »

a bit older drivers are usually the better ones. i rarely update my vid drivers when they are available.
Mask, Lord of the Shadows
Gruumsh, One-Eye
amoenotep@hotmail.com
----------------------------------

Nyeleni
Relic Raider

Post by Nyeleni »

mining wrote:You need to go in your .ini and set CPUCoreAffinity (or something) to -2 or something or it runs horribly.
it's nwnplayer.ini and client cpu affinity :).
Aiya Mielikki! CELEB ALCONTARI CUYO ANANN!

For the Glory of Torm! Clericus Liberatus Anno Dominis - Gloria Triadis!

Rickdawg84
Noob

Post by Rickdawg84 »

So I think I figured it out. In the nwnconfig.ini document, there is an area that lists your video card. The default that was on my doc was some RDDRP Chain blah blah blah. I replaced this with my video card name. The fps seems to have cleared up some. But at the same time, there is only around 10 people on the server right now.

Regardless, I was having the same problem as Nyleni. When new graphic elements would appear, it would lag bad. It still lags, but it is not nearly as bad as it was.

Just hope my desktop doesn't crash for good anytime soon. Then I'll be stuck on my laptop for good.

Lokey
-2 Penalty in Daylight

Post by Lokey »

Hope that isn't some combo vid setup, those are beyond horrible for nvid, for ATI it's cut your losses now because it'll never work without writing your own drivers.

Client affinity has some warble to it I forget, it should handle multi-core ok unless a specific way old gen cpu, which you don't have. But then win7, I'm not savvy to the specific ways that's broken.

Up the cache sizes, but I think it's limited to some stupid amount of texture caching like 16MB.

If you bother to post specifics of how the game lags especially in some single player module that's available to everyone, people will actually be able to help if they feel like it.
Tep wrote:I login and there's a dwarf to kill. You can't ask for much more than that.

Alkapwn wrote:NC has the most amazing melee build there is. Its a friggin unstopable juggernaut of pain.

Amoenotep
Lord DM Supreme

Post by Amoenotep »

if its a new install on a new pc, be sure to run the config setup in game..it'll read your pc stats and you can make adjustments for it in the .ini if need be.
Mask, Lord of the Shadows
Gruumsh, One-Eye
amoenotep@hotmail.com
----------------------------------

Return to “NS4 Help and Support”