Stuck in Black Hills. Makesafe disabled, why?

User-to-User support and questions to the Developers and DM team.
Adventurer#1337
Noob

Stuck in Black Hills. Makesafe disabled, why?

Post by Adventurer#1337 »

why did you disable makesafe in black hills??? There are a lot of hills without ramp. It can happen to any player to fall from dragon in one of those, and there is no way to get out by yourself.

Amoenotep
Lord DM Supreme

Re: Stuck in Black Hills. Makesafe disabled, why?

Post by Amoenotep »

lol..with a relic too :)
Mask, Lord of the Shadows
Gruumsh, One-Eye
amoenotep@hotmail.com
----------------------------------

mining
Absentee Ballot Dev

Post by mining »

Because if I provide a "feature" which allows you to save time / get out of dodgy situations, and people start using it to take shortcuts, I start removing maps that it can be used on.

This is not open for discussion, and it is not acceptable to use something put in solely for minimizing the effects of bugs to take shortcuts.
Bargeld wrote:Overall, I think most would agree that a pure rogue is probably the worst build on the server.

Amoenotep
Lord DM Supreme

Post by Amoenotep »

lol..looks like his entry point was on top of that hill0.
Mask, Lord of the Shadows
Gruumsh, One-Eye
amoenotep@hotmail.com
----------------------------------

Alkapwn
PKer

Post by Alkapwn »

yep thats happened to me on 3 occasions in the very same spot. twice with a relic lol i'm glad im not the only one with the worst luck ever :D
::DD:: Minister of Hatemongering and Enemy Carpaccio
:MADD: Resident SlackMaster and KittenPuncher

Lokey
-2 Penalty in Daylight

Post by Lokey »

I don't know if I made it better or worse when I split those two maps into four way back when. I always get horribly lost.
Tep wrote:I login and there's a dwarf to kill. You can't ask for much more than that.

Alkapwn wrote:NC has the most amazing melee build there is. Its a friggin unstopable juggernaut of pain.

Adventurer#1337
Noob

Post by Adventurer#1337 »

mining wrote: This is not open for discussion, and it is not acceptable to use something put in solely for minimizing the effects of bugs to take shortcuts.

My my, lucky we have you saying what's acceptable and what's not. Didn't mean to touch a nerve.
Alkapwn wrote:yep thats happened to me on 3 occasions in the very same spot. twice with a relic lol i'm glad im not the only one with the worst luck ever :D
But still looks like people get stuck in there more than I thought.

mining
Absentee Ballot Dev

Post by mining »

Adventurer#1337 wrote:
mining wrote: This is not open for discussion, and it is not acceptable to use something put in solely for minimizing the effects of bugs to take shortcuts.

My my, lucky we have you saying what's acceptable and what's not. Didn't mean to touch a nerve.
Apologies for it not being clear that using a command (that's designed so that if DMs aren't around you can possibly fix yourself up if you're bugged) for taking shortcuts on certain maps (i.e. sunken, Black Hills) isn't acceptable. For the record:

Using shout for spamming advertisements is not acceptable
Spamming DM channel with advertisements is not acceptable
Attempting to DDOS the server isn't acceptable

Any other really basic things I need to spell out?

Oh, yeah - its not acceptable to go to someone's house and rearrange all their furniture. Sorry I didn't spell that one out for you.
Alkapwn wrote:yep thats happened to me on 3 occasions in the very same spot. twice with a relic lol i'm glad im not the only one with the worst luck ever :D
But still looks like people get stuck in there more than I thought.
Issue from before I implemented makesafe that would be nice to fix. With makesafe. But, because people were abusing makesafe and relics, its now disabled. Such a shame that the few need to ruin it for the many.
Bargeld wrote:Overall, I think most would agree that a pure rogue is probably the worst build on the server.

DM_Sultan
Dungeon Master

Post by DM_Sultan »

Adventurer#1337 wrote: My my, lucky we have you saying what's acceptable and what's not. Didn't mean to touch a nerve.
Well Mining isn't the only one saying it. It is NOT open for discussion. Players abused the makesafe in this area and others and as a result it was disabled. It was discussed amongst Devs and DMs. We didn't ask for opinions on this one because the abuse had to be stopped and it was. If you are caught in a non-makesafe area, you'll have to wait for a DM to help you out. End of explination - not open for discussion.

Sultan
Torm the Loyal Fury

mgrjebbo
PKer

Post by mgrjebbo »

Awesome. Dm/dev smackdown!

Take that, Oh and you'll like it.
Amoenotep wrote:Interesting turn of events.....

Alkapwn
PKer

Post by Alkapwn »

or range all the enemies ,recall on a corner and have a 75% chance of throwing the relic off the ledge and a 25% of bugging it . But what do I know. :roll:
::DD:: Minister of Hatemongering and Enemy Carpaccio
:MADD: Resident SlackMaster and KittenPuncher

weasel423
Newbie Helper

Post by weasel423 »

How about making it so you don't get dropped by dragons on maps that have makesafe disabled?
[IO] is the way to go!

Evil will always triumph because good is dumb
~Dark Helmet

DM_Sultan
Dungeon Master

Post by DM_Sultan »

The answers from staff wouldn't be so blunt if some of the comments weren't so disrespectful in tone.

A couple of the suggestions for improvement presented here are actually helpful, but wading through the bad tone makes it more difficult.

Just FYI, any time a person cops an disrespectful attitude towards a Dev or a DM on these boards, they can expect no support from the staff. We try very hard to be fair in decisions and in server changes. Mining takes that to the extreme. After getting AO jobs in and the other fixes he has done and continues to do, he warrants all our respect. He has mine.

A condescending attitude toward a member of staff is never going to get a positive response.

Suggestions to fix this condition are always welcome and a lot easier to take if they are made respectfully. Thanks for bringing this condition to our attention and thanks to those who offered constructive fixes for it.

Good Hunting and have fun!

Sultan
Torm the Loyal Fury

mining
Absentee Ballot Dev

Post by mining »

weasel423 wrote:How about making it so you don't get dropped by dragons on maps that have makesafe disabled?
This isn't a bad idea, or possibly I can reenable makesafe if you get dropped by a dragon for said map. As per always, potential for abuse - risk v reward here?

frogofpeace
PKer

Post by frogofpeace »

No makesafe = timeout so we can think about what we've done.

Thanks, devs and DM's for keeping the server from slipping into a chaos of murder and mayhem. Oh, wait - thanks devs and DMs for keeping the server in chaos where we can murder and mayhem.
Three years of nursery school and you think you know it all.
- Dr. Michael Hfuhruhurr

Return to “NS4 Help and Support”