Overwhelming Critical

User-to-User support and questions to the Developers and DM team.
Frendel
Looking for group

Overwhelming Critical

Post by Frendel »

This seems like it should be a dead issue but I was looking around on the NWN 1 main wiki and it said a few things which seem to conflict with our NS4 wiki and "common knowledge" on our server.

http://nwn.wikia.com/wiki/Overwhelming_critical it says this under the notes: This feat stacks with any massive critical item property on a weapon (including that obtained from thundering rage).

That sounds crazy right?

Our wiki says: Overwhelming critical will not stack with Thundering Rage massive critical bonus. Any weapon that has the property of massive critical will override any bonus you get from overwhelming critical.

http://nwn.wikia.com/wiki/Thundering_rage under the notes it says: The additional damage is implemented as a massive critical item property, one which will not be applied if the weapon already has such a property. (In particular, it stacks with overwhelming critical.)

But on our wiki it says: Thundering rage's massive critical property will not stack with overwhelming critical. Any weapon that has the property of massive critical will override any bonus you get from thundering rage's massive critical property.

http://nwn.wikia.com/wiki/Overwhelming_critical states: Despite the game description, overwhelming critical actually adds an additional 1d6 for a total of (critical multiplier)d6 extra damage.

Our wiki again: When using the weapon chosen, the character deals +1d6 points of damage on a successful critical hit. If the weapons critical multiplier is x3, add +2d6 and if the multiplier is x4, add 3d6.

This is another inconsistency. Does it actually add 2d6 for x2 multipliers and 3d6 for x3 multipliers?

What I'm gathering here is that Overwhelming Critical Massive Critical properties will stack with Weapon Massive Critical properties and Thundering Rage Massive Critical Properties. Weapon Massive Critical Properties should not stack with Thundering Rage Massive Critical properties though.

Would it be possible to ask a very nice Dev or DM to test it out and reply about it please? I tried searching our forums about it and came up with nothing. Thanks for your help.

mining
Absentee Ballot Dev

Re: Overwhelming Critical

Post by mining »

I ran some tests with combat debugging, and I saw Overwhelming Criticals and Massive Criticals applied to the same critical hit. I also saw Overwhelming Criticals and Thundering Rage criticals applied to the same critical hit. So I fixed the notes. --The Krit 18:16, 7 February 2007 (PST)

It means x2 multiplier gets 2d6, x3 gets 3d6, x4 gets 4d6, x5 gets 5d6. The description given for the feat states critical gets 1d6, x3 gets 2d6, x4 gets 3d6. WhiZard 04:08, September 8, 2009 (UTC)

The talk page suggests that Overwhelming Critical and Massive Critical (from item OR from thundering rage) stack, but as you'd expect, TR and item MC don't stack. Interesting find. NWNwiki in general > our wiki for mechanics.
Bargeld wrote:Overall, I think most would agree that a pure rogue is probably the worst build on the server.

DM Ireheart
Dungeon Master

Post by DM Ireheart »

Frendel, you must also realize that the information posted on the wiki is placed there by a player or players of Neversummer4 and can be incorrect or inaccurate. There are times the scripting may be changed, but unless someone changes it on the wiki, it will continue to show the incorrect information. Always take information found there with a grain of salt, or in some cases, with a few million grains of salt. :twisted:

frogofpeace
PKer

Post by frogofpeace »

Very interesting - nice catch.
Three years of nursery school and you think you know it all.
- Dr. Michael Hfuhruhurr

Shadowalker
Relic Raider

Post by Shadowalker »

*anticipates a flurry of new wpn master and other 'hitter' builds
Twig (TSS) - Twig [CLAD] - Twigs -Fury- - SyNfully Rotted Twig - Twig'lee -Down Under- - Twig'zilla

Fergus Glonshire [FoN] - Sakij Lovac [FoN] - Zatharus Rivermoon (TSS) - Bumble (TSS) - Body built for SyN

Rufio
PKer

Post by Rufio »

The fact that we can even be picky about these mechanics issues within the ns4 wiki is a testament to the work that has been done there. Sultan is right, the ns4 wiki needs to be read with skepticism, but it is generally accurate.

In the future, if there is any discrepancy about a bioware game mechanic, nwn.wikia.com is always right until proven otherwise. Be sure to check the discussion pages too, you can find more detailed discussions about any strange behaviors there usually.

Also, in the future, if you want testing done on something related to core game mechanics, you can do it yourself offline. I use the "Pretty Good Character Creator" (search for it in the nwn vault). You can quickly set your level and make custom items that perfectly mimic ns4 items within the module for easy testing.
Sebastian (TSS) Doc - Rufio of (TSS) - Dagr (TSS)
Raijin {FoN} - Arcadia {FoN} - Geb {FoN}

DM_Sultan
Dungeon Master

Post by DM_Sultan »

Just to clarify, DM Ireheart is not Sultan, but his comments I do agree with.

Sultan
Torm the Loyal Fury

Amoenotep
Lord DM Supreme

Post by Amoenotep »

All you guys look the same to me....
Mask, Lord of the Shadows
Gruumsh, One-Eye
amoenotep@hotmail.com
----------------------------------

mining
Absentee Ballot Dev

Post by mining »

Amoenotep wrote:All you guys look the same to me....
This would have much more meaning if an empty dark room didn't look the same to you as them :).
Bargeld wrote:Overall, I think most would agree that a pure rogue is probably the worst build on the server.

frogofpeace
PKer

Post by frogofpeace »

This is what the average NS4 player looks like:

- Dr. Michael Hfuhruhurr

DM Ireheart
Dungeon Master

Post by DM Ireheart »

Hey! Where did you find my senior picture? :shock: :wink:

Glory07
Pk Bait

Post by Glory07 »

I'm seeing sexism here. :wink:
Glory

CLAD TSS FURY

"WHERE BEFORE I SAW UNCERTAINTY AND WALKED WITH HESITANCY, NOW I SEE OPPORTUNITY AND ADVENTURE. THE WORLD IS BROKEN--CAN I FIX IT ALL?

frogofpeace
PKer

Post by frogofpeace »

Nah, I just like posting pictures of gunther. In fact when nc gets rogues, I will name my first rog/cot Gunther Bikini {FoN}.
- Dr. Michael Hfuhruhurr

DM_Sultan
Dungeon Master

Post by DM_Sultan »

So, Chase, Havok and Yoda all showed back up to the server at the same time. Is this a coincidence or are they all the same person, thereby proving they all look the same?

Just asking . . . .

Sultan (or is it?)
Torm the Loyal Fury

frogofpeace
PKer

Post by frogofpeace »

PRAISE ... Torm?
- Dr. Michael Hfuhruhurr

Return to “NS4 Help and Support”