Cannot Re-install NWN Diamond Edition

User-to-User support and questions to the Developers and DM team.
Belsky
Noob

Cannot Re-install NWN Diamond Edition

Post by Belsky »

I was getting a "No Disk Error" in loading and transition screens when logging in the other day. So I uninstalled NWN and attempted to re-install. Now when attempting to install from either copy of my Diamond edition DVD, the buttons in the Autoplay window are blank and unclickable. Also if I run the setup.exe it displays the NWN logo, runs a progress bar, then gives me an Information error window with an 'i' in a bubble and no additional text, and the installation is not successful.

I am using WinXP. I have run regedit and removed all keys pertaining to nwn.exe and nwmain.exe. Also, I have upgraded my DirectX to version 11.

Any ideas to get me back up and running would be greatly appreciated. I would like to avoid re-imaging.

Thanks!

Lokey
-2 Penalty in Daylight

Re: Cannot Re-install NWN Diamond Edition

Post by Lokey »

Didn't know dx11 was supported on xp. Neither 10...but the issue is something else. Besides, nwn uses OpenGL for graphics and miles for sound (ok it can use dx sound too) :)

Remove the BioWare/NeverwinterNights keys in registry (location and securerom at the least--also note SpeLLinG). setup.exe is probably the right thing to run, oh open remove programs and make sure there's no nwn detritus there first.

See that you can get the readme/something else small off the disk properly. Check the size of %temp% (installer will need a couple gigs free on your system partition because, you know, windows). Check for malware (win sec essentials, malware bytes, whatever's hip--but skip registry specific stuff because it generally doesn't do anything but make a mess).

Patching is omigod fun, need to know localization first.
Tep wrote:I login and there's a dwarf to kill. You can't ask for much more than that.

Alkapwn wrote:NC has the most amazing melee build there is. Its a friggin unstopable juggernaut of pain.

mining
Absentee Ballot Dev

Post by mining »

Belsky wrote:I was getting a "No Disk Error" in loading and transition screens when logging in the other day. So I uninstalled NWN and attempted to re-install. Now when attempting to install from either copy of my Diamond edition DVD, the buttons in the Autoplay window are blank and unclickable. Also if I run the setup.exe it displays the NWN logo, runs a progress bar, then gives me an Information error window with an 'i' in a bubble and no additional text, and the installation is not successful.

I am using WinXP. I have run regedit and removed all keys pertaining to nwn.exe and nwmain.exe. Also, I have upgraded my DirectX to version 11.

Any ideas to get me back up and running would be greatly appreciated. I would like to avoid re-imaging.

Thanks!
Do you need to have a disc in your computer while you play?
Bargeld wrote:Overall, I think most would agree that a pure rogue is probably the worst build on the server.

Belsky
Noob

Post by Belsky »

Do YOU need one in the drive to play? I have not needed a disk in the drive for the 3 years I have been playing.

mining
Absentee Ballot Dev

Post by mining »

Belsky wrote:Do YOU need one in the drive to play? I have not needed a disk in the drive for the 3 years I have been playing.
Neither, thats why I'm curious about
I was getting a "No Disk Error" in loading and transition screens when logging in the other day.
Bargeld wrote:Overall, I think most would agree that a pure rogue is probably the worst build on the server.

Lokey
-2 Penalty in Daylight

Post by Lokey »

I vaguely remember this coming up before, but I'm not sure it's this http://www.consumingexperience.com/2007 ... ssing.html

Ask around, I know it's hit someone here.
Tep wrote:I login and there's a dwarf to kill. You can't ask for much more than that.

Alkapwn wrote:NC has the most amazing melee build there is. Its a friggin unstopable juggernaut of pain.

DM_Sultan
Dungeon Master

Post by DM_Sultan »

Delete the NWN folder before you try to reinstall the Diamond Edition, too. You'll need to reinstall the 1.69 full update afterwards as well. It's best to download and run the Full updater for 1.69.

To make sure you are clear of malware and spyware that affect your disc access, use this cocktail of programs, all of which have free versions available.
1. Super AntiSpyWare
2. Emsisoft Antimalware
3. AVG Antivirus
4. TDSSKiller (in the case of rootkit viruses)

There are lots of other good ones available, but this will deliver a full knockout to anything you may have picked up that is keeping your disk drives from working properly.

You can also use a really great free utility called Glary Utilities to fix all kinds of registry problems automatically. Just use this one with caution and make sure of what you are changing before you click on okay.

Sultan
Torm the Loyal Fury

Lokey
-2 Penalty in Daylight

Post by Lokey »

Depends on the malware, they're shoving things into device BIOS now (all it needs is a wget to whatever you want to install).

Return to “NS4 Help and Support”