Nuub questions...

User-to-User support and questions to the Developers and DM team.
unimar
Noob

Nuub questions...

Post by unimar »

...or questions from a nuub, depending on how you look at it :)

I got alot of questions, but can't remember them all. So will post them when I suddenly remember them. I have tried using the search engine and reading through most of the changelog, but can't seem to find the answers I was looking for.

1) Being a cleric I wondered if Divine Power (lvl 20+) and Haste stacks? (For a total of 5 attacks, three at the most AB)
2) Seeing AC is a huge matter here, I wonder how the heck a plate user gets high AC?
3) What exactly is the summon bonuses to a pet; like focus, race, domain, etc.
4) I do want a barbarian at some point, but the one I've build so far is quite embarrasing to play because he dies all the time. Any good advices conserning barbarians would be much appreciated.
5) I am not sure yet, but thinking of making a sorc too. But reading their high lvl spells on the wiki, they don't seem to get spells with massive damage. Tbh, they seem a bit weak on high levels. Would it be nessesary to specialize in e.g. evocation and take feats like Empower and Maximize spells to make them viable?
Ozora - Cleric

~ Carebear 4 Life ~

Alkapwn
PKer

Re: Nuub questions...

Post by Alkapwn »

first off you will find most answers here
http://www.nsrealm.com/ns4wiki/index.php/Main_Page
1 yes
2 divine shield, EpicMageArmor, Bardsong, Tumble, race tokens, good gear, etc. etc...AC doesnt really matter that much more so DR. Somethings will just hit you no matter what (namely me :))
3 http://www.nsrealm.com/ns4wiki/index.php/Summons_Guide
4 Understand DR
5 no comment

- that fufills my newbie help requirement for the year
::DD:: Minister of Hatemongering and Enemy Carpaccio
:MADD: Resident SlackMaster and KittenPuncher

Rainswept
Newbie Helper

Post by Rainswept »

unimar wrote: 5) I am not sure yet, but thinking of making a sorc too. But reading their high lvl spells on the wiki, they don't seem to get spells with massive damage. Tbh, they seem a bit weak on high levels. Would it be nessesary to specialize in e.g. evocation and take feats like Empower and Maximize spells to make them viable?
I suggest to all new players they should start NS4 with fairly simple melee/archery builds. The server has so very many changes that just learning how different the basic stuff is becomes complex enough, without having to figure out changes to oh so many spells.
Chernobyl_Glow wrote:the players in AO/RK are evil two headed trolls in real life who kick their dogs and speed through school zones
Shamedmonkey wrote:I can feel myself get stupider.

VagaStorm
Developer

Post by VagaStorm »

unimar wrote: 1) Being a cleric I wondered if Divine Power (lvl 20+) and Haste stacks? (For a total of 5 attacks, three at the most AB)
Divine power only gives a bonus atack if you would get one if you had fight bab, so if, at lvl 20, you have 15 ab, you will get a bonus one, if you have 16 like a propper cheese cleric should, you dont. your ab is still increased to that of a fighter.
Best Regards
VagaStorm

Why would I want to count 12 hours twice? I’m perfectly capable of counting to 24, and while we’re at it, can someone go shoot named time zones. GMT+x is all we need!

Amoenotep wrote:if you die to harper that just means your build sucks.

unimar
Noob

Post by unimar »

Thanx for the answers people. I am fully aware of the wiki, and have studied most of it comparing it to the changelog and such. Could have been more clear about that, and more clear in some of the questions.

Anyway, someone willing to enlighten me regarding Damage Resistance? I seem to miss the big picture here.

@Vaga: 1) I am aware of the mechanic about Divine Power. It was a DP + Haste stack question which alka answered. Thanx :)

3) I have read the summon guide, numerous time :) Wondered if anyone knew the exact stat bonuses like +1 str, dex, and con every 1/5 lvl. +1 Good domain. +1 Outer race. Etc.

@alka: 5) Why no comment? Am I completely wrong or right? Feel free to brag if your main is sorc and imbaroflownkkthxbye with him.

@rain: 5) Thank you for your concern. Who say I ain't already got a simple melee/archer? This was a question about sorcerers :)

6) Is is possible to counter spell a Greater Dispelling or similar in any way?
Ozora - Cleric

~ Carebear 4 Life ~

MLoki
Relic Raider

Post by MLoki »

Sorces explained;

In PvP they will be able to do enough damage 9 out of 10 times. When you run into a dragon form or Barb that likes to chug you will not be able to kill them with damage. However, the versitility of a sorc makes them decent in PvE as long as you aren't trying to solo. You can counter ANY spell as long as the mob is actually casting it and not just using a special ability that mimics a spell. No real way to know the difference except through experience. Most of the time you will buff the party then sit back and throw AoE spells until you are out then be begging for a rest while running around trying not to die.
Amoenotep wrote:i want your toon to be useless :)

rocketkai
Pk Bait

Post by rocketkai »

For 1), the extra attacks from DP and Haste stack, however, only the first extra attack is at the full BAB, the other extra attacks will receives a cumulative -5 penalty for most classes and -3 for unarmed mnk (this change has been there for a while maybe since 1.68)
Last edited by rocketkai on Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bargeld
PKer

Post by Bargeld »

A damage casting sorc is only one flavor of many. If you specialize it correctly (based on what you've said so far, you seem on track) then you will get what you want (damage). But like mloki said, you will be scrambling most of the time and will almost always need a group in order to take the offensive. Otherwise, be prepared (spell-wise) to make a quick get-away if you get caught alone. This may not apply to the other flavors :twisted:

And with regards to summons, no one knows how it works, we just do what the wiki says and end up with better summons :wink:
Death Dealers ::DD::
Laufer - Gemetzel - Force - Little Fist - Egil - Torture - Hatshepsu - Nemesis - Hierophant - Supernaut - Flesh Hound - Insurrection - Antithesis - Dead of Winter - Volcanus 2000

Shadowalker
Relic Raider

Post by Shadowalker »

rocketkai wrote:For 1), the extra attacks from DP and Haste stack, however, only the first attack is at the full BAB, the other extra attacks will receives a cumulative -5 penalty for most classes and -3 for unarmed mnk (this change has been there for a while maybe since 1.68)
So the xtra haste attack comes last with an added -5 ab?
ie epic fighter with primary ab 55 has attacks at 55/50/45/40 add haste for 55/50/45/40/35 <-- this is my understanding of the above post... please confirm or deny
Twig (TSS) - Twig [CLAD] - Twigs -Fury- - SyNfully Rotted Twig - Twig'lee -Down Under- - Twig'zilla

Fergus Glonshire [FoN] - Sakij Lovac [FoN] - Zatharus Rivermoon (TSS) - Bumble (TSS) - Body built for SyN

rocketkai
Pk Bait

Post by rocketkai »

I meant only the first extra attack gets the full BAB. sorry for the confusing part. I have corrected my first post

Lokey
-2 Penalty in Daylight

Post by Lokey »

Extra attacks start at highest BAB then increment down. They ignore 2 weap fighting penalties and some other stuff.

Fighter example: 55/50/45/35/55
Tep wrote:I login and there's a dwarf to kill. You can't ask for much more than that.

Alkapwn wrote:NC has the most amazing melee build there is. Its a friggin unstopable juggernaut of pain.

Mining monk8
Noob

Post by Mining monk8 »

Ok, just my 2cp here,

Sorcs are fairly solid, but for your 1st build I'd suggest a NC cleric with trickery and travel domains. Its fairly cliched, but its pretty easy to make and use.
Sorcerors aren't too hard to get the hang of, just make sure you know how to use expeditious retreat, melf's acid arrow and you can take down ogres easily, if you focus in necro ice efreets die easily, your major difficulties however, will be in the late regions.

As for foci for a sorceror, IMHO conjuration is preferable to evocation for flame arrow, potent summons, and DC grease.

Overall, as a sorceror, in early game you'll find it hard, though you can occasionaly find areas that you'll do well in due to the ability to shoot melf's beyond the foes LoS, middle game your team will love you, you can kill things quite easily, by the 20s you should be breezing through, butthen you're liable to run into far more challenging areas. Please correct me if I'm wrong those with more experience.

Rainswept
Newbie Helper

Post by Rainswept »

Mining monk8 wrote:for your 1st build I'd suggest a NC cleric with trickery and travel domains. Its fairly cliched, but its pretty easy to make and use.
I can think of several reasons why RK'd be a better choice than NC for that starting off. RK is much more central, thus teaching the maps in a much easier way, is about 100 times closer to avendell, is much more likely to have a relic bonus lately, and gives much broader alignment options.
Last edited by Rainswept on Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chernobyl_Glow wrote:the players in AO/RK are evil two headed trolls in real life who kick their dogs and speed through school zones

Mining monk8
Noob

Post by Mining monk8 »

Rainswept wrote:
Mining monk8 wrote:for your 1st build I'd suggest a NC cleric with trickery and travel domains. Its fairly cliched, but its pretty easy to make and use.
I can think of several reasons why RK'd be a better choice than NC for that starting off. RK is much more central, thus teaching the maps in a much easier way, is about 100 times closer to avendell, is much more likely to have a relic bonus lately, and gives much broader alignment options.
Fixed. Thanks for correction.

Rainswept
Newbie Helper

Post by Rainswept »

heh that was an odd typo. I edited my post too, thanks.

Return to “NS4 Help and Support”