Earth Guardian... +20 Enhancement?

User-to-User support and questions to the Developers and DM team.
JesterOI
Resident Spam King

Earth Guardian... +20 Enhancement?

Post by JesterOI »

+20 Enhancement on a CR33?
Or has Epic Warding been nerfed now too?

Which is it?

-
LVL 69 LFGS!!!
The Hasselhoff 4 3v3r!!! Metis n3v3r!!!

Core
Looking for group

Post by Core »

This happend to me as well, I think somethings wrong with warding or it's a bug. I just got into a fight where warding was working the first couple hits, and then all of a sudden it went from haveing 1200 points remaining and absorbing the 50 to allowing all damage thru, and nothing of points remaining to speak of.

Kind of annoying when your a pure caster and depend on warding to last more then 2-3 hits. I don't know what causes it, but it's already happend to me as well. When it happend to me though it was a PvP situation against a certain palemaster. Definatly not a pure fighter so no +20 weapon. I dunno what causes it but warding seems broke :(

Yonwe
Glorious Leader

Post by Yonwe »

Earth Guardians actually do have a +20 enhancement on their claws; I didn't help design them, but a logical explanation I can come up with now is that "a giant rock hitting you on the head hurts you all the time."

In a more practical light, we've got to put very high bonuses on creature weapons to make them easier to fight, ironically. Without a wielded weapon, the only other practical ways to increase their AB to an appropriate level is to raise their strength, which hurts you more, or their dexterity, which makes them impossible to hit.
~DM Yonwe
Lolth - Goddess of the Drow
Velsharoon - God of Undeath

Metis
Dungeon Master

Post by Metis »

Just a little correction their claws are +20ab and +5 enchanted, warding has not been changed.

Since reflections went down prime has a lot more people I have seen a couple odd things happen due to the lag and all I can say its probably just that.
"Wheresoever you go,
go with all your heart." - Confucius

JesterOI
Resident Spam King

Post by JesterOI »

+20 is a little much, especially considering that +20 allows it to skip Epic Warding.

Any chance of changing it?
+19 attack bonus with an extra 2 str? (heck could make it an extra 6 or 8 str as long as it is below +20)
LVL 69 LFGS!!!

Metis
Dungeon Master

Post by Metis »

Ab bonus does not affect bypassing shields enchantment so his +5 is all that counts for getting past DR spells not the +20
"Wheresoever you go,
go with all your heart." - Confucius

Binkyuk
Absentee Ballot Dev

Post by Binkyuk »

are you sure about that?
http://www.nwnwiki.org/Damage_Reduction_%28effect%29

The Attack Bonus property on a weapon will work as well as Enhancement Bonus for purposes of bypassing damage reduction - i.e. a weapon with a +5 Attack Bonus will bypass 20/+5 damage reduction.

JesterOI
Resident Spam King

Post by JesterOI »

Metis wrote:Ab bonus does not affect bypassing shields enchantment so his +5 is all that counts for getting past DR spells not the +20

No, that's not correct.

Though, I actually forgot about a bug.

+20/XX reduction is bypassed by +19 and +20 weapons for some reason.
Forget why.

+AB and +Enhancement both penetrate Damage Reduction.

So, basically drop the Earth Guardian to +18AB and give an extra +4STR.
LVL 69 LFGS!!!

Celorn
Relic Raider

Post by Celorn »

why not just kill the guardians faster than they can finish casting? that way you never have to worry about fisticuffs ;]
ImageImage

P. Fricebottle
Addict

Post by P. Fricebottle »

Thats not possible for every party, because they have huge DR and hp. They're the hardest thigns to kill (exception being the boss of course) in the entire plane.

Binkyuk
Absentee Ballot Dev

Post by Binkyuk »

All I hear is 'waah waah waah my build isn't good enough'. I can kill them with my cleric that's 15 levels higher than them so there's obviously no problem! :)

JesterOI
Resident Spam King

Post by JesterOI »

It's not so much the difficulty of the Earth Guardian, it's the principle that they are skipping Epic Warding and shouldn't be.

Celorn wrote:why not just kill the guardians faster than they can finish casting? that way you never have to worry about fisticuffs ;]

The odd time they will stop casting early and KD-bolt you (auto-kd is gay) then start beating on your ground kissing butt.
LVL 69 LFGS!!!

P. Fricebottle
Addict

Post by P. Fricebottle »

Binkyuk wrote:All I hear is 'waah waah waah my build isn't good enough'. I can kill them with my cleric that's 15 levels higher than them so there's obviously no problem! :)

I can't tell wether that was sarcasm, idiocy, both, or none.

Yes, Jester's right. They have a KD bolt attack similar to that of the Undead Sentinels in HoD. They start beating on you after they're done with spells and the like, and one of them is the KD bolt. Its knocked down my 84 disc. dwarf and not so high disc. cleric. If I remember it goes off of Dex AC + Dodge AC, or something along those lines. It lasts for a while, so it makes the problem of beating them down sooner that much more difficult.

CrazyJ
Relic Raider

Post by CrazyJ »

Ranged touch attacks should not be used by any enemy unless some player class also has access to something similar. Right now they're an unbalanced "I win" type attack.

And yes, I have seen Pygmy Cookers (CR 3) knock down EPIC characters!

P. Fricebottle
Addict

Post by P. Fricebottle »

An Undead Sentinel knocked down our pure monk at level 39, I'm pretty sure balance concerning NPCs is out of the picture. The only balance is to make the gear + CR vs. difficulty balance out.

Return to “NS4 Help and Support”