Favored enemy

User-to-User support and questions to the Developers and DM team.
random31
Noob

Favored enemy

Post by random31 »

What are the best favored enemy groups to tak in NS4 ?

thanks

Amoenotep
Lord DM Supreme

Post by Amoenotep »

player races
Mask, Lord of the Shadows
Gruumsh, One-Eye
amoenotep@hotmail.com
----------------------------------

random31
Noob

Post by random31 »

Do elf, dwarf, halfling, human, gnome cover player races, or do you need more to get the subraces?

Planer or Giant for example.

thanks

CrazyJ
Relic Raider

Post by CrazyJ »

Human, Elf, Dwarf, and Half-Orc get probably 95% of the players.

Dwarf, Outsider, Giant, and Elemental are all very useful for PvM as well... and Outsider helps against a lot of the higher-level summons.

Binkyuk
Absentee Ballot Dev

Post by Binkyuk »

i think you underestimate the number of halflings around. definitely include them (i'd put human and halfling 1 and 2 in fact, as most SDs are those, so a higher spot bonus against them is useful)

MLoki
Relic Raider

Post by MLoki »

I would agree with adding Halflings since Favored Enemy also helps you with Spot and Listen. My usual choices are Human first then perhaps Half-Orc and Dwarf since they help you with PvP and PvM then Elf and Halfling. If you are going for Bane of Enemies you should be getting at least 5 choices anyways and that only leaves out Gnome and Half-Elf as player races. I believe the base race includes the player subraces as well and these choices will also help you while fighting Amazons and Epic Dwarves.

If you are more concerned with PvM you may want to stick with Human, Giant, Half-Orc, Outsider, and Elemental since that is what you will be running into most often while leveling.

MLoki

random31
Noob

Post by random31 »

thanks for the input...

All I have fought so far is undead..are they so wimpy it is a waste to take as a favored enemy?

TY
Light a fire for for some one and keep them warm for a night....Light someone on fire and keep them warm for the rest of their life.

CrazyJ
Relic Raider

Post by CrazyJ »

SO FAR there are no undead beyond about CR 23. It is expected that that will change at some point...but if you're not a cleric or paladin, you'll probably end up deciding that non-undead are easier to kill.

Binkyuk
Absentee Ballot Dev

Post by Binkyuk »

weeell, you might find the bonus useful vs undead summons, so it might not be a complete waste. but yes, as a ranger you'll find levelling on undead slower than most enemies, so will probably just avoid them pvm.

Cthulhu Drega
Newbie Helper

Post by Cthulhu Drega »

isnt the shadow plane mostly undead?
"There is no great genius without some touch of madness." - Seneca

"There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line." - Oscar Levant

kgb
Wheres the donation box?

Post by kgb »

I would like to get a clarification from devs and players esp. those who have been to planar areas about Favored Enemies.

I imagine the most useful Favored Enemies for Bane would be player races mainly Human, Halfling, Elf, Dwarf and 1/2 Orc.

Some questions:

Q1. Does Human cover the sub-races such as Aasimar, Earth Genasi, Githzerai etc or are some or all classed as Planar or even Elemental?

Q2. Are the Efreets in the cave all classified as Elementals?

Q3. Am I correct in assuming Sunken Isle denizens are Elves and those in Amazons are 1/2 Orcs?

Q4. In the planar areas are Spirits/Guardians/Djinn, Tempests, Stalagmites etc classified as Elementals or Planars?

Q5. Are Xag-Ya aberrations like Beholders or are they Planar?

I know these seem like basic questions but I would like to take advantage of the limited amount of Favored enemies by selecting the right ones for NS4.

Please if you have any other insights into the Bane of Enemies discussion I would appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks in advance
Tres Nawt {CLAD}, Tres Baf {CLAD}, Tres Leyana {CLAD}, Tres Q'sara {CLAD}

Image Image

P. Fricebottle
Addict

Post by P. Fricebottle »

Listed in importance...

• Human
  • Elf
  • Dwarf
  • Half-Orc
  • Halfling
  • Outsider
  • Gnome
  • Undead

Those are my guesses. RK is mostly dwarves, and Dwarf Home is a popular leveling area as well.

Humans gets over half of the PvP classes as well as numerous others from Bandits to NS Guards.

Elves have numerous sub-races as well, but I'm not certain how much you will find in PvM.

I don't know why people always think theres not many halflings. In nearly every fight I run into halflings, from Thunderstone to Pielo Ashe to Cade Thorngauge.

Half-Orc self-explanatory, Half-Ogre is the most popular race for scythe builds.

Outsider and Undead will get many summons as well as quite a few PvM, like in Halls of the Dead.

Kirg
Newbie Helper

Post by Kirg »

Interesting Fricebottle. And don't forget the PvM aspect against halflings. There is a whole area with them behind closed doors.

I still prefer to take Undead and Outsider before elf or gnome though, as you won't run so many times into a PvP situation where it might help. And the first mentioned are mostly crit. immune too, thus the extra damage helps a lot.

kgb
Wheres the donation box?

Post by kgb »

Kirg wrote:Interesting Fricebottle. And don't forget the PvM aspect against halflings. There is a whole area with them behind closed doors.

Am I correct in assuming Kirg is referring to the Molemen on Earth Plane beyond the Tower entrance? Aren't molemen gnomes and not halflings?

Also on the positive plane what are the Xag-Ya and Aoa? Aberrations, magical beasts, outsiders?

It would be nice to have this information in the wiki for players considering rangers.
Tres Nawt {CLAD}, Tres Baf {CLAD}, Tres Leyana {CLAD}, Tres Q'sara {CLAD}

Image Image

P. Fricebottle
Addict

Post by P. Fricebottle »

kgb wrote:
Kirg wrote:Interesting Fricebottle. And don't forget the PvM aspect against halflings. There is a whole area with them behind closed doors.

Am I correct in assuming Kirg is referring to the Molemen on Earth Plane beyond the Tower entrance? Aren't molemen gnomes and not halflings?

Also on the positive plane what are the Xag-Ya and Aoa? Aberrations, magical beasts, outsiders?

It would be nice to have this information in the wiki for players considering rangers.

This is why the Wiki is generally the way it is. The Wiki is supposed to be player-run, meaning people who have tested it out update it for other players. Well, most players expect it to already be there for them and its not unless someone else added it.

Return to “NS4 Help and Support”