Building new comp

User-to-User support and questions to the Developers and DM team.
TGPO
Dungeon Master

Building new comp

Post by TGPO »

BUILD 1
APEVIA (ASPIRE) X-PLEASURE-AL Silver Aluminum ATX Full Tower Computer Case -
Foxconn C51XEM2AA- 8EKRS2H Socket AM2 NVIDIA nForce 590 SLI MCP ATX AMD Motherboard
GIGABYTE GV-3D1-7950-RH Geforce 7950GX2 1GB (512MB x2) GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Dual
SILVERSTONE ZEUS SST-ST65ZF ATX12V 650W Power Supply - Retail
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+ Windsor 2.4GHz Socket AM2 Dual Core Processor Model
Kingston HyperX 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel
2x Western Digital Caviar SE WD2500JS 250GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM
LITE-ON 16X DVD±R DVD Burner Black ATAPI/E-IDE Model SHW-160P6S-04 - Retail
$1,761.92

BUILD 2
APEVIA (ASPIRE) X-PLEASURE-AL Silver Aluminum ATX Full Tower Computer Case -
ABIT AN9 32X Socket AM2 NVIDIA nForce 590 SLI MCP/SPP 190 ATX AMD Motherboard -
eVGA 01G-P2-N592-AX Geforce 7950GX2 1GB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Dual GPU Video Card -
SILVERSTONE Zeus SST-ST52F EPS12V 520W Power Supply - Retail
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+ Windsor 2.4GHz Socket AM2 Dual Core Processor Model
CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit
2 Western Digital Caviar RE WD2500YS 250GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM
LITE-ON 16X DVD±R DVD Burner Black ATAPI/E-IDE Model SHW-160P6S-04 - Retail
$1,639.94

Opinions?
*Computers are alot like air-conditioners. They work great until you open windows*

electrikfuzz050
Noob

Post by electrikfuzz050 »

What are you going to be doing with it? I mean besides playing NWN.

TGPO
Dungeon Master

Post by TGPO »

What dont I do is a better question.

Gaming rig is of course job 1. Followed by video compression, program compiling, linux testing, ect ect. Basicly if it requires computing horsepower I have probably taken a crack at it once or twice, including openMosix and beowolf clustering when I'm doing fourier transforms.
*Computers are alot like air-conditioners. They work great until you open windows*

blay
Noob

Post by blay »

Build 2.

Kromix
Addict

Post by Kromix »

build 2
looks like sirus' rig
Image Image
TGPO wrote: Call me a nazi all you want [...] it wont change the way I approach things.

Amoenotep
Lord DM Supreme

Post by Amoenotep »

wow...build one for me too...
Mask, Lord of the Shadows
Gruumsh, One-Eye
amoenotep@hotmail.com
----------------------------------

Cthulhu Drega
Newbie Helper

Post by Cthulhu Drega »

woot TGPO is gonna buy us all new puters!!!!!!!! woooot
"There is no great genius without some touch of madness." - Seneca

"There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line." - Oscar Levant

electrikfuzz050
Noob

Post by electrikfuzz050 »

Build 2. Def Build 2.

Edit: Get a 24x drive instead of a 16x.

Nemesis Revised
Newbie Helper

Post by Nemesis Revised »

i would say going core duo instead of athlon 64. amd still hasnt solved a few heating issues :(
1%useful posts, 99% spaM

Lorkar1

Post by Lorkar1 »

Nemesis Revised wrote:i would say going core duo instead of athlon 64. amd still hasnt solved a few heating issues :(

Not to mention that the Intel Core Dou is hands down faster than anything AMD has on tap now.

TGPO
Dungeon Master

Post by TGPO »

Depends on the benchmarks you read. Intel is measurably slower passing data from 1 core to the next from the last spec sheet I got my hands on.

Heat I dont worry about, what wasnt in the specs I listed was all the aux cooling on CPU, GPU, and northbridge. Although I will have to wait and measure where to put the extra air movers once I get the box set up.

I'm not above grabbing the tin snips and fabricating the extra mounts I need.

Nemesis Revised
Newbie Helper

Post by Nemesis Revised »

well in that case, amd is the way to go. as long as you provide more-than-adequate cooling. I admit, amd is much cheaper.

but there are other factors to check out aside from the acquisition aspect.

check out warranty available in your area.

- longer warranty

- quick repair time (if it breaks down)
1%useful posts, 99% spaM

Daltian
Relic Raider

Post by Daltian »

Nemesis Revised wrote:i would say going core duo instead of athlon 64. amd still hasnt solved a few heating issues :(

AMD has no problems with overheating. Last 2 years it was Intel that had those problems. If there was no core duo processor I would buy an AMD. But right now, if I was going to buy high end computer it would be core duo. Those things really rock. Also, I would never buy dual GPU video card. Its a waste of money.
This is all coming from a person that owns a computer store, so I would know what I am talking about.

P.S. Dont buy Gigabyte motherboard. The usually work well, but have higher rate of failure then Abit and Asus.
xXenox

Kromix
Addict

Post by Kromix »

Liquid cooling + filters and 1 90 mil fan blowing air out = room temperature cpu and no dust inside the case :D
^^ use a T section instead of reservoir it works great
Image Image
TGPO wrote: Call me a nazi all you want [...] it wont change the way I approach things.

TGPO
Dungeon Master

Post by TGPO »

Update on the comp.

Its built, I went with option 2. So let me give a run down on the build pros and cons.

Pro:
HUGE case. 4 independent drive bays. 1 for 4 5" drive and 3 for 3 3.5" drives. Each of the 3.5" bays is removable with a locking lever so with a flick of a switch you can unmount the bay, mount your drives, and slap it back in.

Side mounted 120mm case fan blows right down onto that monster dual GPU so I dont have to modify anything to get more air to it.

Con:
Damned GPU is so big you cant unlatch one of the 3.5 drive bays and it covers up 2 (of the 7) SATA2 connectors,

Other:
Not sure if this is pro or con, it wont load Windows Vista RC1 with the SATA drivers for XP,2000,2003. I have a few copies of it and wanted to try it ... probably be able to get the drivers from the abit website but its windows and who really cares.

On the plus side Ubuntu 6.10 loaded up and installed with only one glitch. Seems if your using SATA II you have to start the boot with the noapic option. That took about 2 seconds to change and then wham instant FREE 64 bit OS.

All in all it was an easy build and WOW is it fast.

Return to “NS4 Help and Support”