Connecting Question

User-to-User support and questions to the Developers and DM team.
Rand
Noob

Connecting Question

Post by Rand »

I was reading this shortcut to connect to the servers:
A handy trick that several players and DMs use is to create a shortcut on your desktop that links directly to the Neversummer server. This allows you to bypass loading screens and Gamespy entirely. To do this, simply create a new shortcut and point it to:

c:\nwn\nwmain.exe +connect ns4.nsrealm.com (For Players)

I tried to connect using the shortcut but is says the that it cannot read address, is there something else that needs to be added to this?

Anicetus
High Brother Anicetus, Legendary Brethren
http://www.legendarybrethren.cjb.net
"It's better to die on your feet than live on your knees"

TheBestDeception
Developer

Post by TheBestDeception »

At the moment, the DNS for Neversummer (nsx.nsrealm.com) is invalid, pointing to the wrong IP address. This is also why the transitions do not work.

Therefore, to get the shortcut to work (which is very handy indeed), simply replace the DNS server with the actual IP address and port (5121 for One, 5122 for Two)
But, it's such a draining job that, until you've DMed on an NWN server yourself, you the playerbase, have got to cut the DMs some slack. - Flailer

Rand
Noob

Post by Rand »

Sweet i got it to work thanks alot thats a handy shortcut
High Brother Anicetus, Legendary Brethren
http://www.legendarybrethren.cjb.net
"It's better to die on your feet than live on your knees"

Flailer
-2 Penalty in Daylight

Post by Flailer »

Btw, for reference, the current IP address is:

Does the IP address currently change or is this static?

Also, got me thinking, as a temporary fix til the transition problem is corrected, would it help to put a local DNS entry in your HOST file that maps the address that NS is trying to use to connect to the other server when you transition? So, if NS4 server one tries to use ns4.nsrealm.com:5122 to connect you to server two on transitions, a HOST file entry of
ns4.nsrealm.com 70.112.231.143
could allow the transition to work automatically again? It just depends on how the devs are mapping the address on transition.
Flailer
NS Developer

None of us is as dumb as all of us.

Return to “NS4 Help and Support”