Aftermath

For general role-playing or tales and stories of your NS characters. In-character only!
cRaZy8or5e
PKer

Aftermath

Post by cRaZy8or5e »

Judgement stood at the battlement above the East Gate of Daeron, peering through the smoke of the still burning farmsteads in the Daeron outskirts. At regular intervals along the eastern wall stood the defenders of Daeron; Fists of the North, CLAD crusaders, Silver Striders, Daeron militia, and free riders from the length and breadth of the Northern Lands, from Daeron to the Melencia Forest. They all peered intently to the west, looking for any sign of advancing enemies.

A shadow flashed across the plains. So speedy was his passing, the displaced air created small whorls and counter whorls in the blowing smoke. Others nearby began readying their weapons, but Judgement saw a flash of brilliant white and a flowing black cape. It could only be the knightrunner Ricky Bobby with the supernatural speed of a monk.

“Stand at ease my friends, it is no foe that advances towards us.” Judgement stated to those around him in a soft but commanding voice.

Postures eased, bowstrings went slack, slings and crossbows were unloaded.

Ricky’s voice boomed from the causeway leading up to the gates “OPEN THE GATES! I BRING TIDINGS!”

The gates were unbarred and the monk entered. In a flash he appeared on the battlements, the brilliant white of his helm now close enough to show that it was marred by bloodstains, scratches, dents, and flashburns. His magical robes were in no better shape. Supposedly impervious to stain, they looked as if someone had removed a shoddy red-brown dye from their original shades of blue, white, and black. Physically he looked even worse than his accoutrements. The man had been running the length and breadth of Aetheria, fighting at every turn, resting little, dying and returning from the rift, and throughout it all enduring unimaginable pain. His eyes were two orbs that despite the new hope stirring in them, eminated a weariness that had a physical affect on all that looked upon them.

He saluted the cleric, “Wilds Warden Mcninja sends word from the outer security screen that the enemy appears to be withdrawing back through Windale and Beryn.”

“Praise Tyr!” Judgement gasped almost shocked at the obvious relief in his own voice. He turned to one of the Coalition Paladins, “Go to the inner defenses, get reports from Fist Daefaroth and Strider Twig, ask if their security sweeps have found Daeron clean of any hidden or—“ and here he almost spat “-shadow dancer foes. Make haste—“ and then noticing an approaching figure, “—wait young man. Cleric Fist Pepe, Warden of the South Gate is coming from the inner defenses.”

“Hail Brother!” called Pepe, helm removed from his head, weapons sheathed, the grin of a man who has survived unimaginable horrors stretched across his handsome features.

“Hail Brother” said Judgement, Pepe’s infectious grin beginning to creep into dour judgement’s own features.

Pepe walked up to them, and gestured to the sun shining over head, and the blue skies, “excellent day to be on the battlements, I must say.” and as if to emphasize his statement he took a deep cleansing breath, stretching his arms out to either side as if to embrace it all.

“Well as you seem to be in a mood to jest with us and keep us waiting on what tidings you bring, I will make known to you the joyous news that I’ve just received. Our enemies seem to be withdrawing from our lands. Have the security sweeps of the streets of Daeron come back with a ‘clean dispatch of health’ for Daeron?”

Pepe frowned, “Well, shadows flitted from hiding place to hiding place, one crazy little gnome actually had disrobed in his attempt to breach our defenses, one wonders if the dancers of Garagoth had broken into the striders own stash of psychedelics. The Headquarter’s Gate Warden, Strider Ainuloce, the dragon, sat on him though. This of course brought a swift end to his perfidious jaunt through our once pristine streets.” At the mental image, many on the battlement chuckled.

“Fist Daefaroth, CLAD Singer Glory, and myself made a tour of every street, lane, dock, walkway, sewer, hovel, and gutter. By the blessings of the Forest, the Light of Justice, the inspiring songs of Glory, and Fist Daefaroth’s unsurpassed ability to pierce the shadows and ken all that is hidden has allowed us to pronounce Daeron cleansed of enemy presence.”

A cheer went up from those standing there in response to his news, and Pepe smiled and cheered along with them.

“The fighting was fierce. I confess I saw little of it. Merely shadows at the edge of my consciousness,” here his effervescent happiness seemed to grow strained and a haunted look shadowed his smile, “Strider Twig would transform into that ghastly spider form and spit webs into the swirling darkness, and Daefaroth with that unwavering gaze would fire arrows that would disappear and leave bloodspatters in their wake. I was amazed and a little unsettled as I always am when facing foes that I can’t see.” And then the shadow passed and he was no longer staring back at the frightful memories, “But justice prevailed, the relic cradle remained secure, and our foes were vanquished, praise be to the powers that guide and light our Holy Way.”

And then he turned to those gathered around him and cheered, “Praise the alliance of THE WAY! May justice and balance be brought to all Aetheria!”

“PRAISE THE WAY!” Those assembled on the battlements roared with the time honored response. Everyone began to rejoice, embracing each other, laughing uproariously; some began to sing, some capered about dancing with joy, and still others broke down into tears.

Ricky Bobby, his usually stoic and serene countenance now wet with tears of joy, advanced to his battle brother Pepe and at first gripped Pepe in the warrior’s handshake, hand to wrist. But then Pepe roughly pulled him into an embrace and lifted him off the ground with a roar of exultation.

Judgement looked upon them like a father with overjoyed children during a feast day celebration. He let them enjoy the moment for a brief time and then quietly but forcefully he spoke.

“PEACE brothers and sisters.” The command reinstating the discipline of those present.

He smiled at them all, “This is a truly joyous day, a day that the Gods have bestowed upon us for our righteousness and our discipline. Let us not forget that. Return to your posts, let us look to make sure that we have secured the relics and that the foe is truly gone.”

“I have more to say” interjected Cleric Fist Pepe, “Fist Ricky, if you would be so kind, return to the Wild Warden, the free-rider Doctor Mcninja, and at his convenience request his presence for a commander’s moot in the Command Center.” He turned to Judgement, “Headquarters Gate Warden Fist Uda von Melk and Command Center Warden Sir Ajantis Ilvaster, are already on their way to said moot with the High Marshall at the relic cradle. All the Command Wardens are to meet there and decide upon our next actions.”

Ricky stepped forward, “Your pardon Brother Pepe, Wilds Warden Mcninja, Strider Morales, and myself are all that remains of the outer security screen.”

The others gathered around looked stricken at the grisly news. The celebratory air vanished even as a cloud seemed to appear out of nowhere and cast a shadow over the eastern gate. It had only been a few days since the outbreak of the latest war. The outer patrols that made up the security screens had marched out by the hundreds a couple weeks prior. Now only three of them remained?

Ricky continued as those assembled shared incredulous looks “It was absolute pandemonium from the hill known as Hallowtop throughout the Arnoth Mountains. Windale is know more, Beryn is in ruins, All our outposts lay shriven and overrun. Their complements have been slain or enslaved. The unholy alliance of Dwarves and Dragons fought with us as well as the spider kissers and the Arcanists. The denizens of duskhaven prey on the wounded. The forested slopes of the Arnoth Mountains look to be a blasted land, trees are gone, the very ground is pooled with congealed blood. Flies fill the air and one must cover their mouth with a cloth so that they don’t breathe the pests in. But we prevailed despite the horrific cost. Even now Warden Mcninja makes his way here to report to the High Marshall.” Here a ghost of a smile passed over the grim mien of Ricky Bobby, “Strider Morales is seeing the enemy forces out of here. By your leave, I go to assist Strider Morales in his task.”

“May Tyr have mercy on those souls who do not return from the rift.” Said Cleric Fist Pepe. Judgement closed his eyes and also mouthed a quick prayer for the departed. With that, the two Gate Wardens rendered a quick salute to Fist Ricky to send him on his way. Ricky seemed to fly down the steps and out the gate towards the Arnoth Mountains.

Judgement turned to his second in command and saluted, “Cleric Fist Rozsudek, I leave the East Gate in your capable hands sir.”

Rozsudek returned the salute and turned to the defenders of the East Gate, “To your posts brothers and sisters!”

With that, warriors returned to their posts, and the two gate wardens began to make their way down off the battlements towards the Commander’s Moot and the end of the 7th Relic War.
"Nobody Expects the Northern Inquisition!!!!"
-Blystos Re-

cRaZy8or5e
PKer

Re: Aftermath

Post by cRaZy8or5e »

Zersei TSS removed from the story at her request.
"Nobody Expects the Northern Inquisition!!!!"
-Blystos Re-

Return to “The Bearded Bard II”