Advice for epic wizard (or sorc)?

Talk about Neversummer 4 with your fellow players.
Myrdyr
Newbie Helper

Advice for epic wizard (or sorc)?

Post by Myrdyr »

I finally got my wizard to epic levels. He has a dragon knight and greater spell focus in evo, necro, and conj. However, I'm having a heck of a time against Amazons and Ice Giants even with a party member or two to tank for me. There's no way I'm going to take him into the planes without some advice on the finer points of spellcasting.

Currently I buff myself, other party members, and my summon with stat boosts, flame weapon, imp invis, stoneskin, premo, etc. To slow opponents, I use Grease, sometimes Darkness and/or web as well. For damage I use Wail, finger, Isaac's, and Firebrand. What else should I learn to use before venturing into planes?

P. Fricebottle
Addict

Post by P. Fricebottle »

Bigsbies work very well in Halls of the Dead, a lot of creatures have high SR but can bigsbied.

watchwood
Newbie Helper

Post by watchwood »

Yup, spam the bigby.
The DuFresne Family of Malencia
DrunkenGamers.net

Amoenotep
Lord DM Supreme

Post by Amoenotep »

a well placed/planned bigby can help slow opponents so friends can disable them. Finger will be useless at higher lvls as most things can survive the fort saves with no problem. only use 1 or 2 death spells per rest and maximize on hinderance if your with a party. if your alone maximize your disable/max damage spells so your summon can help you kill things.
Mask, Lord of the Shadows
Gruumsh, One-Eye
amoenotep@hotmail.com
----------------------------------

CrazyJ
Relic Raider

Post by CrazyJ »

Yep... at the high levels, Clerics are the only ones with a good fort-save instakill, since most of the planar mobs are immune to death spells, and Implode doesn't get counted as one.

P. Fricebottle
Addict

Post by P. Fricebottle »

Implode bypasses Death Ward, because it can only target one person for insta-death at level 9 while the mage's level 9 Wail has a collossal range. Sounds fair to me.

Implode isn't too great in planes, because a lot of those creatures have really good fortitude. Especially a lot of the Dwarves. If you want to even be succesful at it, you're going to have to invest in the DC. I could give a list of implodeable planar objects though...

CrazyJ
Relic Raider

Post by CrazyJ »

A focused wis cleric can implode his way through most of the elemental planes by the mid-20s with a DK summon tanking.

I was thinking more about Finger of Death than Implode.... Sorcs only get 3 level 9 spells according to the NS wiki... Mord's, Bigby, Time Stop, and I'm out of slots.

P. Fricebottle
Addict

Post by P. Fricebottle »

Oh, in the Elemental Planes a focused cleric can do it no sweat with a few exceptions.

CrazyJ
Relic Raider

Post by CrazyJ »

I just found out that I can handle small groups of Ice Giants at 21.

Grease + Great Thunderclap keeps about 80% of them immobilized most of the time. Haste lets you dodge the rest... wear 'em down by spamming firebrand/etc.

Works better with sorc since you get more spells/day.

JesterOI
Resident Spam King

Post by JesterOI »

Yup, haven't personally tried the new Thunder Clap spell, but from reading the description it sounds fairly beastly, especially since it does dmg now too.
LVL 69 LFGS!!!
The Hasselhoff 4 3v3r!!! Metis n3v3r!!!

Lord of Darkness #1
Noob

Post by Lord of Darkness #1 »

Instead of starting a new thread i will just branch off of this one... Is there any way to get more than 3 diff 9th lvl spells as a sorceror.. If so let me know,, if not Let me know what spells you think are the best for sorcerors to take lvls 5 through 9.... Would be very helpful
Lord of Darkness #1, Guild Master of the {->LOD<-}
"Thunder" Champion of {->LOD<-}
Lord Mey'Ax of {->LOD<-}
Lord Jarl'Axle of {->LOD<-}

JesterOI
Resident Spam King

Post by JesterOI »

9 is EASY.

Bigby's
Timestop
Mord's

Greater Spell Mantle is a good choice too, it has had it's # of spell lvl absorption increased and is Mord's immune.

Mind Blank <--- very group firendly, the weak willed warriors will love you.
Horrid Wilting
Bigby's

7 <--- Evocation heavy

Great Thunderclap
Bigby's
DB FB
Prism Spray
Shadowshield <--- immune death buff, Description says Immune Instant Death Effects, which sounds like Implosion to me, but that needs to be tested. (Instant death occurs from Implosion if fort save failed, therefore logically Shadowshield should protect vs Implosion)

IGMS
G Dispelling
Mass Haste <--- another awesome party buff
True Seeing
Bigby's
Greater Spell Breach (auto-removes protection buffs)

Bigby's
Firebrand (awesome party friendly spell, from description it looks like it should be less effective vs multiple enemies, just like igms, but it doesn't get diluted)
Lesser Mind Blank (use this if you want a substitute for Mind Blank)
Dismissal (bye bye bigby's)
Energy Buffer (nice bug with this one, causes hellball to do dmg with only first dmg type, all tertiary dmg types are auto-negated, this spell p\/\//\/z hellball and weapons with multiple elemental bonus dmgs)
Mestil's Acid Sheath would be a must, but the devs have nerfed this spell to virtual uselessness (on the plus side it gives a meager amount of acid dmg resistance for a finite amount of dmg)
LVL 69 LFGS!!!

Amoenotep
Lord DM Supreme

Post by Amoenotep »

Implosion isn't really a death effect, which is why there is no spell protection from it. its the crashing and smashing of atoms. on a single target now.

Shadowshield is a must against casters...if used properly it will make you immune to more than just instant death effects.
Mask, Lord of the Shadows
Gruumsh, One-Eye
amoenotep@hotmail.com
----------------------------------

JesterOI
Resident Spam King

Post by JesterOI »

Implosion has an instant effect when it works: Death! :P
LVL 69 LFGS!!!

Binkyuk
Absentee Ballot Dev

Post by Binkyuk »

Naw, Shadow Shield's death immunity stops things magically causing your life to spontaneously expire directly and for no other reason. Implosion's *direct* effect is to cause you to become very tiny very quickly and in a very random arrangement - death is just a side effect.

Return to “General NS4 Discussion”