Flesh to Stone

Talk about Neversummer 4 with your fellow players.
Binkyuk
Absentee Ballot Dev

Flesh to Stone

Post by Binkyuk »

As this came up yesterday and again 2 seconds ago, maybe some clarification is in order.
Is Flesh to Stone permitted in pvp? I was under the impression that as long as you kill your statue nice and quickly afterwards there's no xp loss and no foul, but Mentarch's words seem to say not.

And as someone will certainly say it's listed in the commandments: it's technically not. it says you're not allowed to exploit it to cause deliberate xp loss.

Mentarch
Dungeon Master

Re: Flesh to Stone

Post by Mentarch »

Binkyuk wrote:As this came up yesterday and again 2 seconds ago, maybe some clarification is in order.
Is Flesh to Stone permitted in pvp? I was under the impression that as long as you kill your statue nice and quickly afterwards there's no xp loss and no foul, but Mentarch's words seem to say not.

And as someone will certainly say it's listed in the commandments: it's technically not. it says you're not allowed to exploit it to cause deliberate xp loss.

These were not my words but those of other/all DMs. See previous discussions and announcements, especially by Netrom, TGPO et al.

Lawyering the NS4 commandments is never a good idea ...

No one should forget than both the Letter and Spirit of the Laws are what matter and what guide all DMs.

And so should they guide the players too. 8)

Technicalities are for lawyers seeking to have their perp-clients go scott free despite being guilty ... or to actually excuse/deny a crime that was actually committed. :wink:
Silvanus, God of Nature

Tyr, God of Justice

Greenbeard Ebonwood, Herald of the Gods

Binkyuk
Absentee Ballot Dev

Post by Binkyuk »

forum seach for 'flesh' and 'stone' turns up nothing. could you be more specific?

i'm not 'lawyering' the commandments, in fact my question doesn't mention the commandments at all. that was an aside to pre-empt an answer i was sure someone would give.

It's fortunate that you mention the Letter and Spirit, as this is exactly what i think are in opposition. The intention of the player was not to cause xp loss, but popular belief is that their actions are against the letter.

As it happens i wasn't either stoning or being stoned in either case, so i don't actually care - i just saw a problem and thought i'd try to solve it. that'll teach me.
i'll climb back under my rock and stop bothering everyone. night.

TGPO
Dungeon Master

Post by TGPO »

Stone to flesh is a known problem, it has been put out in game and in forums several times over the last 2 years.

However any PvP intentionally designed to cause exp loss by another player is well outside the realm of polite and accepted behaviour.
*Computers are alot like air-conditioners. They work great until you open windows*

MLoki
Relic Raider

Post by MLoki »

So then the question might be asked if Flesh to Stone IS permissable in a PvP setting or how can it be used so that it is assured that no xp loss is possible?

MLoki

BTW, I have no intention of actually using this spell and do not have a character capable of even casting it so I ask this for the benifit of others.

Metis
Dungeon Master

Post by Metis »

The bug with flesh to stone is the only way to be sure is to kill them then raise then kill, I have been testing this for the longest time even if you kill someone after stoning them they can still loose xp not exact but almost 50/50 and dont ask why..

/me points to bioware
"Wheresoever you go,
go with all your heart." - Confucius

Lorkar1

Post by Lorkar1 »

Metis, thank you for that clarification. I have been wondering about that for 6 months or so. Nice to have an explanation other than "don't do that". Now speaking about bugs, might someone explain why barter is disabled?

TGPO
Dungeon Master

Post by TGPO »

Barter is disabled for several reasons.

1: There is a way to crash the server using barter (and people were)
2: There is a way to duplicate items using barter (and LOTS of people did)

So to prevent malicious morons, and cheating lazy boneheads, barter was disabled.
*Computers are alot like air-conditioners. They work great until you open windows*

Lorkar1

Post by Lorkar1 »

Well if they say ignorance is bliss. Then when it comes to crap like that, I guess I am truly happy.

Binkyuk
Absentee Ballot Dev

Post by Binkyuk »

perfect answer, thank you.
it seems avoiding xp loss is harder than i thought. i imagine the hassle of having to kill-raise-kill anyone you use flesh to stone on is enough to put anyone off the idea of using it for bona fide purposes.

Falazure-
Pk Bait

Post by Falazure- »

Well i guess this is mainly over me.-Slave- Agony ? i used flesh to stone,thinking that as long as you killed the target they lost nothing,after a few ppl telling me this isnt true.So what to do with a high flesh to stone dc ? i guess just use it for relic defense or in dire need,i usually have raises to accomodate.

but *AS A WARNING* anyone caught in flesh to stone,please DO NOT hit respawn right away,ive tried to go about raising ppl,but they do that way to quickly.

Okie GET
Noob

Post by Okie GET »

back when kst was trying to thrive, i used to stone some of them to make statues for the okie god....... this was a very common practice before DM's were on NS4. Waring guilds would try to stone each other to cause exp lose. all is fair in war. this actually created competition more than the relics ever did.

Amoenotep
Lord DM Supreme

Post by Amoenotep »

it is also why there is a special place in the rules just for that...and bigby+city gaurds, and knocking to near death and leaving for bosses....and a hundred other things that are not condusive to a smooth server.
Mask, Lord of the Shadows
Gruumsh, One-Eye
amoenotep@hotmail.com
----------------------------------

Saya Nightshade
Pk Bait

Post by Saya Nightshade »

So then, is it illegal or not. No one has really said for sure, otherwise i guess as long as who ever uses the spell has plenty of raise deads then there is no problem? If the person that was stoned chooses to respawn before the raise is given then it is on him that he lost exp?
-Slave- Whippet
-Slave- Cinnamon
-Slave- Sharabeth Nightshade
-Slave- Tasha Mondragon
-Slave- Cheyenne
-Slave- Momma J. (Shall return)

Kromix
Addict

Post by Kromix »

dont use it and be safe
Image Image
TGPO wrote: Call me a nazi all you want [...] it wont change the way I approach things.

Return to “General NS4 Discussion”