NS5...

Talk about Neversummer 4 with your fellow players.
Matron Emeruasia
Noob

NS5...

Post by Matron Emeruasia »

Well from what I hear.....apparently this module can be uploaded into the new Editing system and converted for use on NWN 2 which sounds good to me! WOOT WOOT!!! I can't wait to see what you guys can do with all the new additions to the Toolset! I am really looking forward to it! Ever since I got on this server I haven't played any others cause I can't stop playing this one. I think by far its the best I seen yet.

So anyway this is me saying thank you to all those who made this server possible! I look forward to the next Gen of NS!

Matron Emeruasia Leader Of House Del'Armgo! (Kris)

I am yesterday, today and tomarrow...I have the power to be born a second time...I am the divine hidden soul who created the Gods and gives spectacular meals to the denizens of the deep, Place of the Dead and heaven hails...lord of the shrine that stands in the center of the earth....for he is I, and I am he.....

DeputyDog
Addict

Post by DeputyDog »

Just a bubble burster. We have to do all the areas over so it will be different:) Maybe less of them since there is a world map travel feature ala Baulders Gate 2.

Critters/items and scripts will import we hope so the playstyle will be almost the same. After we find all the new bugs.

Level cap is at 20 so assume progression will be slow after lvl 5 or so.

Im excited though.
DeputyDog
Founder
Neversummer
gmcever @ gmail.com

https://www.facebook.com/neversummer4

Coralon
Noob

Post by Coralon »

An interesting thing about NWN2 is the server requirements for outdoor areas, an admin for another server I sometimes play on discussed some of the hardware requirements that were bothering him regarding rebuilding his PW. Apparently the memory needs of NWN2 are much higher and may reduce the amount of areas a single server can run due to 32 bit OS memory usage, to fully understand all this you need to know how servers work but suffice to say that NS may well become portalled servers to maintain the scale of the world, unless DD has a nice 64 bit server laying around AND NWN2 comes in a 64 bit ded server version.

Having said all that though I am very keen to see what NS5 becomes.

Lokey
-2 Penalty in Daylight

Post by Lokey »

If NWN2 comes in a 64 bit ded server version...

That's the important bit. Outside of that, 2 gig is the max a 32bit process will use without a specific design we know Obsidian isn't doing.

The other side is we'll have to move files to the client to play. I don't think anyone is interested in downloading hundreds of megs of terrain data everytime we change a hill, add a river or blend a texture so it'll wait until we figure out how to do versioning with those files (we don't know how well they'll compress either, but I suspect the format will be much more compact than NWN1 files, which you can usually compress by a factor of 20 or so).

It'll be a whole new ball game both for building and for playing and the requirements for each. Definitely get used to seeing "soon" again ;)

Oh, release date has been moved to late October now.
Tep wrote:I login and there's a dwarf to kill. You can't ask for much more than that.

Alkapwn wrote:NC has the most amazing melee build there is. Its a friggin unstopable juggernaut of pain.

Coralon
Noob

Post by Coralon »

An aside to all this Lokey is that you can have a 32 bit proccess use up to 3GB of memory by use of a boot.ini switch on windows servers, this is mostly used for large scale email and database servers but will work with most applications. Unfortunately Bioware have not tested the configuration and give no indication if the NWN2 server will be able to make use of the extra gig, which really only equates to an extra 10-15 outdoor areas if estimates are correct. Some RP worlds are planning on small scale releases e.g. lvls 1-5 then 6-10 or 15 and then the final lvls. Good plan that, until the expansions are released and the lvl cap is raised again ;)

I to am interested in how version control and downloads will work, it is a foregone conclusion that there will be downloads as the client requires the heightmap for rendering, but do they just need the heightmap or will they also need the texture files (the big part) much as FPS games do, only time will tell.

DeputyDog
Addict

Post by DeputyDog »

Yea a lvl 1-5 would be the best start to see how it all works.

And the ns4 box is a opteron 146 so it can handle 64 bit if I wanted to throw x64 or vista on it. We will build another one for ns5 by the end of the year for development and initial hosting.

If we have to goto a portal system we will. All large scale mmorpgs use thousands of machines so using 3-4 shouldnt be too hard.

Bioware is not doing nwn2. Obsidian is. Bioware may have some input but there wont be any inovation from there end I suspect. They have there own masterpiece in the works.

Dam October. another month to mess with ns4. Thats also the month my new baby girl is due:) In case I havnt told anyone hehe.

Maybe that gives me time to get my boys playing ns4 on their pc.

With the world map system we wont need as much filler area like we have now to simulate travel. Hopefully that will cut down the number of areas enough to keep the thing managable.

I wouldnt expect much of a playable world until next year but hopefully we can get an alpha up and running for some invite only testing by the end of the year. At least we have a nice big team going into this unlike nwn which started with me and slowly added devs and lost devs.

This project will have a better foundation and start of on the right track from the get go.

Until then enjoy ns4 if you can get in:) Perhaps we will have to put a 2nd server up for it to hold all you addicts over.
DeputyDog
Founder
Neversummer
gmcever @ gmail.com

Death Dealer1
PKer

Post by Death Dealer1 »

i was under the conclusion that obsidian has sent out beta versions of its toolsets to pw's on the vaults top 10 worlds.....it was done with the hopes that they would be able to put together worlds with input on how things are working as of now.

from what i hear anyway. :wink:
if i didn't do it...someone else would have.

Flailer
-2 Penalty in Daylight

Post by Flailer »

We solicited ourselves for that, but sadly never heard back...
Flailer
NS Developer

None of us is as dumb as all of us.

Yonwe
Glorious Leader

Post by Yonwe »

It seems like it was only yesterday that out little Deputy was off getting married... gotta respect a man who wastes no time! :wink:

As for an Octobor release giving us "another month" to mess with NS4 as the peak of development, I'm reminded of the Warcraft That Never Was... Obsidian seems to have been doing a much better job than Bioware did, but even just a year ago they said NWN2 should have been out last spring. It doesn't make much business sense to release a major (and delayed) game to a salivating consumer base in Octobor when Christmas is only two months away. My money's on at least one more delay to capitalize on the kids-with-their-yearly-cash phenomenon... but I have (rarely) been wrong.
~DM Yonwe
Lolth - Goddess of the Drow
Velsharoon - God of Undeath

Falazure-
Pk Bait

Post by Falazure- »

i was just wondering if its going to be another faction based or pvp type server ?

DeputyDog
Addict

Post by DeputyDog »

Where did you see that they sent out the toolsets? Ive read the boards on other worlds and no mention that they have the toolset. Dragonlance, ALFA, aventia etc.

Last I heard from bioware and obsidian is that they have no plans to release it early.

Not that it matters it would be buggy as hell anyway lol.

--

We will go pvp of course. Gives it that extra edge of fear that you know you need.
DeputyDog
Founder
Neversummer
gmcever @ gmail.com

Death Dealer1
PKer

Post by Death Dealer1 »

this is off the vault

http://vnboards.ign.com/Message.aspx?to ... t=97335749

and one hall of fame mod maker had to sign a non disclosure agreement to anything pertaining to whatever he might or might not have recieved. but non disclosed sources say that my imagination told me they were thinking of getting a few ppl the toolkit. :wink:
if i didn't do it...someone else would have.

DeputyDog
Addict

Post by DeputyDog »

Nice link. Just emailed the guy. Lets see what we can get.
DeputyDog
Founder
Neversummer
gmcever @ gmail.com

Flailer
-2 Penalty in Daylight

Post by Flailer »

I've sent him a few PMs and emails with no response already. You'd think our top rating in the PW listings would count for something...
Flailer
NS Developer

None of us is as dumb as all of us.

Cthulhu Drega
Newbie Helper

Post by Cthulhu Drega »

october? ha we all know it will be pushed back to christmass time or 1st quarter 07 when has a game ever come out on time
"There is no great genius without some touch of madness." - Seneca

"There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line." - Oscar Levant

Return to “General NS4 Discussion”