Global damage spells

Talk about Neversummer 4 with your fellow players.
Red85
Noob

Global damage spells

Post by Red85 »

Has anyone else had any problems with the friendly fire spells. I've noticed its especially annoying for low levels so far (as i'm low leveled). I'm afraid to party with low level mages because most of the spells they have can kill me or at least nearly kill me and I see no point in allying with someone that will either kill me or do absolutely no work because they don't want to kill me. In another case, my brother was having problems in the Ancient Ones faction because the NPCs would kill him when they interfere in a fight (hunting rats). Most of the spells they use are large area spells and are more than enough to kill any low level character. I saw him take nearly 80 damage while killing rats from one of them...

I see this as a way of powering down mages, but so far it seems to be quite a bad situation.

Sagil
Pk Bait

Post by Sagil »

I like the general PvP setting, mages just have to be a bit more careful where to place their area spells. I haven't seen it myself yet, but stupid NPC mages that roast their allies WOULD be a serious problem as far as I see it.. maybe don't give them area affects or only those like firebrand or isaaks that won't hit allies? :shock:
I have opinions of my own, strong opinions - but I don't always agree with them!

Crymsyn
Pk Bait

Post by Crymsyn »

The rules are set for Hardcore D&D rules. This means that casting affects both party members and yourself (in some instances.. i.e. Fireball). It was put in place to make mages a bit more careful with their casting. Let me put it this way: A mage in NS4 can do a lot with a party, and if he can fire off Delayed Blast Fireballs and IGMS without hurting his party or anyone else, it makes a mage a pretty easy class to play, not to mention give them an advantage of all those buffs plus immunity for their party and themselves from the spells that they cast.

It also ruins the PvP factor of the NS4 module. Think back to all of your old Fantasy novels where mages are present. If they are envolved in the battle, their spells don't just magically avoid their allies.
Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward.
For a wounded man shall say to his assailant;
"If I die, you are forgiven. If I live, I.. will.. kill you."
Such is the rule, of honor.

dond
Newbie Helper

Post by dond »

this is mainly a problem for npc allies.
they really like to nuked low levelers :/

Kell Of Neversummer
Pk Bait

Post by Kell Of Neversummer »

Heck, I had that happen in NS3 - open the gate on Avendale 4 with goblins outside and stand there - the elves will get u.

Nemesis Revised
Newbie Helper

Post by Nemesis Revised »

info for DMs:

Is there a way to tweak the global damage thing. I experienced some sexy things about it.

1) I was soloing ash mountains. I did a haste on myself and ran in the middle of a group of baddies (succubus, some tough hounds, etc). Guess what they did? They casted on me (at the same time hitting their group) Then I casted invis. They started killing each other!!! And I was gleefully watching them kill each other one by one. I killed the remaining survivors from that group. Made it alot easier for me to level hehe. I'm not saying this is a bug but maybe you could do some tweaking.

2) I was being chased by a gnoll somewhere in the underdark. I led it into the secret drow raiding post and my npc allies started hitting on them. I casted this level 1 spray to stun one of the gnolls and it worked. My npc allies was able to kill the gnoll. UNFORTUNATELY, after killing the gnoll, they started killing me too! I realized that the spray i casted affected them to switch impressions on me. This was annoying because i had bounded to that area and whenever i die and restart, i get hit by these drow who was affected by my spell. I kep dying like 2 times it was a good thing someone rescued me. Hope you can address situations like this

Return to “General NS4 Discussion”