requesting game play advice

Talk about Neversummer 4 with your fellow players.
ran2far
Noob

requesting game play advice

Post by ran2far »

I am having trouble with fighting many of the enemies in NS4 and I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, except maybe my character doesn't have nice enough equipment. I have an aasimar paladin (20th level) and have a hard time beating opponents such as forest giants, gnoll archers, and ancient dire bears. This is troubling since forest giants and ancient dire bears now give no xp and gnoll archers give only about 13.

Last night I teamed up with another player who had a 19th level fighter and noticed he was critting for 60-70 points at a time where 40 points are a rare occurence for my 20th level paladin. I haven't come across many magical swords or armor yet...my character has an AC of 32 and attack bonuses approaching +35 with buffs and current long sword, but just can't seem to hit for much damage (normally bull strengthed to mid 20s on strength).

What am I doing wrong? Just not found the good equipment yet maybe?

Thanks,
-Clark (character Garet Allendt)

r.dressel
Noob

Post by r.dressel »

One of the most unique things about NS is the way the Dev's have set up the resist vs. bonus damage type .. Giants specifically are tough because out of three different types of giants you will find 3 diff resist. try changing weapons. to bludg and pierce ..

You will also have to try to pay attention to what type of damage they are doing to you.. ie if they are using a spear it is pierce damage .. make sure you have some resist to it .. I keep one of each type of shield on my fighter type characters

Gnolls are very weak to pierce .. my favorite weapon against them is the rapier. +the crit range is awsome.

Talk to me in game .. my login is rdressel character names are many but

I am the shadowbringer family mainly. Also feell free to ask help from any of the ledgendary brethren .. alot of them have Brother or sister attached to their names. And they are dressed in gold and black.

Hope that helped!

JesterOI
Resident Spam King

Post by JesterOI »

A good way to build if you ahve the feats is to take no weapon feats except for improved crit 3 times, once for each physical damage. (Once they get the dual damage type weapons fixed this should cost less feats)
Also carry 3 shields, as any class. Even as a wizard wearing a shield is a great idea because it let's you get damage resistance and immunity to any physical damage type for a measely 5% spell failure chance. (Use small shields)
Rogues should ahve no problem whatsoever using large shields, -2 skill check from a large shield while a tower shield would be -10. (going single weapon with a rogue is a great idea becasue your ab is so low to start with that dualweilding is just adding insult to injury)
Also if you DO need those extra 2 skill points that the shield check penalty taeks from you, it's easy enough to just take the shield off via a quickslot.

Archers have it harder, but there is a bow out there somewhere that gives 5/- resist peirce that would help out with your slash resist armor.

Which brings up armor. Sure you can't switch out armor in the middle of battle. However as an archer or other lower str character you can carry robes that resist each seperate damage type, just be sure to know the enemy you are fighting and wear the best robes for the fight.
LVL 69 LFGS!!!
The Hasselhoff 4 3v3r!!! Metis n3v3r!!!

ran2far
Noob

Post by ran2far »

I feel so lame. I just bested two drow city guards to the tune of 84 xp each. Unfortunately, it took me about 7 heal potions and 10 healer kit +12 to survive. These guys were whacking me for criticals in the 40-50 pt range and i couldn't hit them for more than 20 ever. They were rated as 'challenging' but maybe a bit too challenging for a ECL 22 character, lol.

Any suggestions for a good place for ECL 22 to adventure?

Lework
Looking for group

Post by Lework »

Make a cleric, problem solved.

Seeing as Ns4 is a low magic server, buffing classes are 10x better. as a paladin you have no conceal, no super ab, no buffs. just your ac vs their AB. and at lvl 20 most mobs have an ab of at least 25...

Lokey
-2 Penalty in Daylight

Post by Lokey »

Your Pali have enough wisdom to throw some spells? Access to power attack, disarm or knockdown? That busted ability that's still the Bio standard?

Deafening Clang, Holy Avenger (may improve that spell again in some fashion or perhaps specific to Paladin order or something...PnP version--which just keeps on giving lol--can do but not in a way that wouldn't chew through our server horsepower :( ). Pali is a strong class, at least when compared to almost anything besides a cleric lol.
Tep wrote:I login and there's a dwarf to kill. You can't ask for much more than that.

Alkapwn wrote:NC has the most amazing melee build there is. Its a friggin unstopable juggernaut of pain.

Zhorn
Looking for group

Post by Zhorn »

If you want to do some ownage.... then make a Wizard, Sorc, Cleric or even a Druid.

Casters tend to mop up on NS4. It's an unlimited rest world afterall! :)

It's be a different story if rest was limited to every 8 game hours. Or if the crafting of scrolls cost a decent amount of exp or gold.

Netrom.dk
Developer

Post by Netrom.dk »

Or if you just want to have alot of fun, make an assasin., Its wasn't the easiest char to level, but once I learned how to take advantage of the death attack and hide abilities, i've realized i've never had so much fun with any of the other classes :twisted:

Flailer
-2 Penalty in Daylight

Post by Flailer »

Which brings up armor. Sure you can't switch out armor in the middle of battle. However as an archer or other lower str character you can carry robes that resist each seperate damage type

If only there were bludgeon resist robes higher than level 13....
Flailer
NS Developer

None of us is as dumb as all of us.

chu8j
Noob

Post by chu8j »

Don't forget to use Divine Might/Divine Shield all the time. I haven't seen any creature yet that can resist divine damage and the extra ac really helps when monsters start taunting you.

Lokey: It would be really great if Holy Avenger is improved. I was so sad when I finally got the spell at level 14. The greatest spell in the paladin arsenal with the best buffing graphic in the game!!! And then I found out it was essentially a greater magic weapon with less time duration. The two castable dispel magic is simply useless at level 14. Not to mention it became a sword only buff... :( :( :( :( :( :(

edit: typos
Last edited by chu8j on Sun Apr 24, 2005 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JesterOI
Resident Spam King

Post by JesterOI »

Flailer wrote:
Which brings up armor. Sure you can't switch out armor in the middle of battle. However as an archer or other lower str character you can carry robes that resist each seperate damage type

If only there were bludgeon resist robes higher than level 13....

Take weapon finesse, use a bourne mace, and a shield with bludgeon resist?
LVL 69 LFGS!!!

AggieDan
Looking for group

Garet!

Post by AggieDan »

Sharnes Ogden, the aforementioned 19th level Fighter.

Actually, I didn't go into enough detail on my character when I told him about my build... I'm actually an Earth Genasi 12th level fighter / 7th level weaponmaster ([censored] sword).

Whereas Garet Allendt was wielding a longsword, if I recall correctly.

But, keep in mind, I get a +2 STR and +2 CON to my character. And my feats currently consist of the following :

Disarm
Dodge
Expertise
Great Cleave
Improved Critical ([censored] Sword)
Improved Knockdown
Increased Multiplier (Weapon Master feat)
Iron Will
Ki Critical (Weapon Master feat)
Mobility
Power Attack
Superior Weapon Focus (Weapon Master feat)
Spring Attack
Weapon Focus
Weapon Specialization
Whirlwind Attack

Additionally, I wield an imbued Mithril [censored] Sword, which is a keen weapon.

I crit on a 13-20 roll and have a multiplier on my damage on a critical hit of x3. I think my STR is a 26, but can't recall offhand.

In short, I hit hard. But, that's all I do. Will saves are a joke. Were it not for the fact that it was 3 AM, I could have stayed up and run you through the NC area. Lots of undead, evil things there that are perfect for a paladin to sharpen his skills on. Though, if you'd joined the Northern Coalition you could have had access to the Champion of Torm PrC and improved your fighting ability that way as well.

One thing that you are also not taking into account is that gnolls and ancient dire bears both have really high resistance to slashing damage. I used to keep an imbued mithril hammer (being AO I can't really go get one off the dwarf) in my pack for instances where the creature had a high slash resist. I don't worry about it much anymore since even at 50% immunity to slash damage, I can still hit for 40+ HP per attack with 4 attacks per round. And disarm and improved knockdown help my odds of survival.

Also, though, as a paladin, you should be looking for CHR boosting items.

JesterOI
Resident Spam King

Post by JesterOI »

Why not post it like this:

This version of this build was built for ease and fun, so it has 2 less bab than it should if I had built properly.
Fort Saves vs death spells is actually at +36
All other saves vs spells have a +5 due to spellcraft (though it does show up as more, I think that spellcraft +saves are using the modified spellcraft and not the base spellcraft)
Also the bard song increase everything for this guy as well.
I didn't post the skills screen because I messed those up for this character.

Btw, who uses a [censored] sword? Honestly!
If it was dual damage (slash/peirce) and the dual damage actually worked properly in that the attacker uses the best damage type, I could see why.

I hate [censored] swords personally, and slash weapons in general.
I make most of my builds to take advantage of the rapier and warhammer, the epitomies of they're damage types.
LVL 69 LFGS!!!

ran2far
Noob

Post by ran2far »

I really appreciate all the suggestions and help. I'll admit right off that I wasn't trying for an ultimate power build character or anything like that, just something fun to play. Anyway, I'm very new to the Neversummer servers and wasn't up to speed on the way the damage resist bonuses work--that alone has made a big difference.

I have found that a simple enhanced mithril rapier works wonders against the gnolls compared to a similar long sword. And thanks to Holy Bolt for showing me what a great weapon a morning star can be--hitting the giants for 50+ now on criticals which is quite nice.

I think I also messed up the wisdom (I was putting points in charisma instead) and so only have access to 3rd level spells at ECL22. Not exactly the strongest way to build a paladin. Thinking of building a druid next.

-Clark

Lework
Looking for group

Post by Lework »

Yes - A lot of the mobs are killable with the right gear and weapon.

just take notice the kind of weapon they use and get that dmg type for armor+shield, also get a weapon that does piercing, blud, anything besides slashing.

Return to “General NS4 Discussion”