Ruling on Flesh to Stone?

Talk about Neversummer 4 with your fellow players.
Bob
Newbie Helper

Ruling on Flesh to Stone?

Post by Bob »

To save on a ton of arguing that's going on in-game at the moment, at your convenience, could one of the DMs or Devs post if it's OK to use Flesh to Stone in PvP (with the associated XP loss bug)?

Don't really care one way or the other, but the self-appointed rule nazis have once again awoken...

[edit - A couple words about HiPS use would also be appreciated.]

Terminal Insanity
Newbie Helper

Post by Terminal Insanity »

i think the spells DC is a tad high but i wont complain about it... the problem is you loose XP when you respawn.

matex (login _Necroscope_) has been running around de-leveling people via stone all day...
I got a screenshot of it but it dident show his name... just the roll... i was bound on another server so i couldent scroll up to get it.
he was HipSing and poped out just long enough to cast stone then vanished again... tried to get a spell mantle up but was too late

He was camping Daeron newb spawn room stoning people (Kurth lost 3 levels to this [censored])
Anyone that has screenshots of him stoning you or others POST THEM! get this lamer banned or something. if you have no webspace to upload the screenshot to... email it to me and ill put it on my site ( terminal@counter-hack.net )

LadyCheron
Developer

Post by LadyCheron »

If you have screenshots, PM them to one of the DMs. As for losing multiple levels to this process - to lose three levels, the character must have respawned about 30 times. Somewhere in the first four or five attempts, he should have decided that his character couldn't do anything against the attacker and gone elsewhere or brought in another character. After watching the incident for more than 40 minutes, I did not see Matex attack any PC who did not attack (or at least charge toward him) first.

I also know that at least one time when Kurth was shouting about "I just lost another level'" he was in the Tombs of Morstai. Matex was in Daeron, taking out the High Marshalls. Matex has been talked to by the DM team, and will moderate his playing style at least until we get a fix for XP / gold loss from Flesh to Stone in place. I'm also going to suggest moving the NC bind point or the higher-level NPCs so there's "Nothing worth killing" at the respawn point.

And for the record, while using Flesh to Stone in PVP combat is NOT illegal, repeated use on a sigle player IS griefing, and made worse by the fact that there are respawn penalties. We would like to request that players refrain from using the spell on other players, at least until we can get the respawn penalties thing fixed. We're not going to kick someone for forgetting and using it once .... but those players who have made it their primary combat style, please find something else to use OR raise your opponent afterward.

Thank you.
Berronar Truesilver, The Revered Mother
Domains: Good, Healing, Law, Protection

Terminal Insanity
Newbie Helper

Post by Terminal Insanity »

Matex was in that tomb... and i was coming through it to kill him but he got out the other side and i dident know where he went (this was after his daeron spawn camp) i later herd someone shouting about a stoner in sleeth...

And i would hope using flesh to stone is illegal,,, or at least get the devvs to completly disable that spell untill they can remove the xp penalty like they did with the unleashed balors (Make stone work only on NPCs untill the xp loss problem is fixed?)

DrakhanValane
Arrogant Snob
Location: Five Minutes Before the End of Eternity (or Maryland, take your pick)

Post by DrakhanValane »

I followed Matex around for a good hour and a half after there were some more complaints about stonings in Sleeth. Matex never once used flesh to stone on another player in that time. Again, Term, we can't do anything until you or someone else sends in proof.
If you tilt your head far enough and squint hard enough, anything becomes as simple or complex as you'd like--regardless of whether it is or not. -- A lesson learned from Stephen Wolfram's A New Kind of Science

Kurth
Looking for group

Post by Kurth »

Ya Metax was really nice about it when I lost my lvl... 13>12... and well... she/he didn't stone any after the High Marshal got involved... I feel kinda bad and hope Metax is on the forum... I officially want to apologies to her for blowing my top.... And yes DV... she stopped stoning (lol thanks for the stone though I got really scarred and yelled at the rest of my party to hightail it outa the catacombs ^_^) any way... I was stone twice, once when I was dead on the ground waiting for a raise (I was bound in mel) and right after that.

Matex if you read to forums... I owe you an apology... I hope you can except my offer of a free 1x10 set of raise dead scrolls.

Any way I think the major problem was that very few people understood that FtS made the spawn penalty activate.

SUGGESTION
If the DMs (like the lovable huggable DV) or devs/joran/DD could put a thread on the NS-documentation forum about what major PvP and otherwise harmful bugs there are left in beta and reiterate the rule about abusing bugs in beta (unless testing, modding, etc)
SUGGESTION

I know the only reason I knew was because one of the peeps on IRC told me a while back.

Any way... DV we also owe you an apology for forcing your hand into baby-sitting on your day off... I really don't know what I can do for a DM to make it up... but if there is anything just ask.

To the rest of NS... I really should have logged and taken some time off last night... I'm really sorry...

any way... ^_^
Am I really as ugly as Father Kurth? %#$&

lord_modred
Spam Master General

Post by lord_modred »

i have a very simple solution to the Flesh to stone respawn penalty... WAIT IT OUT! as soon as the caster rests, all flesh to stone spells that player casted are dispelled, sure it takes patience, but if you dont want to loose experiance your gonna have to wait it out!
"O cruel fate, floating through the void of space like gravity's plaything. O to be thusly boned. Ask not for whom the bone bones, it bones for thee."

help save world hunger!

Bob
Newbie Helper

Post by Bob »

I think there are some problems once the petrification window comes up - won't go away evidently (http://www.nsrealm.com/bugs/bug_view_pa ... id=0000811).

There are also some "persistency issues" with the petrification effect that can cause it to remain even after the caster rests.

Much thanks to the DM staff for clearing this up. [<-- edit - not sarcasm, just saying thanks for the rule clarification.]
Last edited by Bob on Sat Jul 10, 2004 10:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

DrakhanValane
Arrogant Snob
Location: Five Minutes Before the End of Eternity (or Maryland, take your pick)

Post by DrakhanValane »

Yes, there are a few issues with the spell at the moment. It is being worked on (like almost everything else in NS). When an acceptable solution has been worked out it'll be added. Until then we ask that you have patience.
If you tilt your head far enough and squint hard enough, anything becomes as simple or complex as you'd like--regardless of whether it is or not. -- A lesson learned from Stephen Wolfram's A New Kind of Science

-=Mushra=-
Noob

Post by -=Mushra=- »

just some side note whats up with the word griefing its not even bloody english, its been made into this weird sense of taking by some geeks who got nothing better to do and are mostly hatefull about dying cause the suck to much at what they do there whole life.

so plz explain wtf is up with it, talk english or slang don't use it both in 1 sentence.

:?

Danhalen
Noob

Post by Danhalen »

-=Mushra=- wrote:just some side note whats up with the word griefing its not even bloody english, its been made into this weird sense of taking by some geeks who got nothing better to do and are mostly hatefull about dying cause the suck to much at what they do there whole life.

so plz explain wtf is up with it, talk english or slang don't use it both in 1 sentence.

:?
let he who is without bad grammar cast the first stone. :twisted:

now back to your regularly scheduled pissing match.

lord_modred
Spam Master General

Post by lord_modred »

mushra, think about it... is noob a word? is pwned a word? do people online use raped or owned by the english dictionary?

you want a simple explanation? here goes: people are morons, thats why
"O cruel fate, floating through the void of space like gravity's plaything. O to be thusly boned. Ask not for whom the bone bones, it bones for thee."

help save world hunger!

AndrewCarr
Spamalot

Post by AndrewCarr »

lord_modred wrote:i have a very simple solution to the Flesh to stone respawn penalty... WAIT IT OUT! as soon as the caster rests, all flesh to stone spells that player casted are dispelled, sure it takes patience, but if you dont want to loose experiance your gonna have to wait it out!

Hmm... good idea. Didn't know that'd happen. I also believe getting someone to kill you when you're in stone will count as a pk and avoid the xp loss.
Lindon Erithar
and
Quickie Mart the <a href='http://www.cultofokie.com'>Okie Ambassador</a>

Spura
Wheres the donation box?

Post by Spura »

lord_modred wrote:mushra, think about it... is noob a word? is pwned a word? do people online use raped or owned by the english dictionary?

you want a simple explanation? here goes: people are morons, thats why
Next time I see someone say wat in game instead of what I'm gonna kill them. GRRR so stupid.

LadyCheron
Developer

Post by LadyCheron »

This is getting way off topic.

Return to “General NS4 Discussion”