Timestop

Talk about Neversummer 4 with your fellow players.
Midori
Noob

Timestop

Post by Midori »

Since I've not attained a high enough caster level for level 9 spells, I was wondering if Timestop is going to be allowed.

If so, how is it implemented? Just affecting the area the spellcaster is in? Going to assume not the entire server since I've not seen it yet, heh.
Grace, honor and nobility;
show these beforehand.
But when the battle begins,
attack with terrifying swiftness,
be the Diamond Shark,
relentless and ruthless.
- Passage 127, Verse 42, Lines 16-20

Kirg
Newbie Helper

Post by Kirg »

Well Timestop is disablet as per now. Dont know what the plans will be with this spell...

BR

ATI
Spamalot

Post by ATI »

Bring back time crystals!!! :D
I've tried fire, i've tried faith, and i've tried force, all I have left is hope.

Terminal Insanity
Newbie Helper

Post by Terminal Insanity »

time crystals made timestop usless

DrakhanValane
Arrogant Snob
Location: Five Minutes Before the End of Eternity (or Maryland, take your pick)

Post by DrakhanValane »

I still used Timestop tons when we had to use Time Crystals. you just had to stock up and use them strategically.
If you tilt your head far enough and squint hard enough, anything becomes as simple or complex as you'd like--regardless of whether it is or not. -- A lesson learned from Stephen Wolfram's A New Kind of Science

Heron
Noob

Post by Heron »

How about making Timestop area specific (only one map)? Add a will save (it’s a 9th level spell so the DC would be high) and make anyone who fails the save petrified.

Terminal Insanity
Newbie Helper

a will save to timestop? lol... you do realize, timestop isent Web or some kind of holding spell right?

I mean... lol.

Mabe limit how often you can cast it (you have to wait 1 real minute between casting it) so you cant timestop/igms/timestop/igms/timestop/igms/etc.

but adding a save to timestop lol... it would be funny to see a mundane fighter breaking the laws of time

Heron
Noob

Post by Heron »

It’s just an idea. Having played on arena servers for a while, I’m thinking more from a practical and functional perspective rather than realistic.

I’m glad I was able to amuse you. lol

Terminal Insanity
Newbie Helper

*pictures a wizard with a "wtf?!" look on his face as he is taking a beating from Minsc and his minature giant space hamster*

Stormwarden
Noob

Post by Stormwarden »

A saving throw is not an incredibly bad idea. Once again people are trying to put common sense into a game by saying characters cannot break the laws of time. Common sense is not as important as game balance, never has been and never will be. That being said do not try and use common sense as an argument against a game balance idea.

Midori
Noob

Post by Midori »

Don't know what'll happen with saving throws since somebody could save and another fail so you'd have some people frozen and others moving around or something. Then with that you could have one wizard/sorc cast it and if everone allied with you pumped their saves for it they could have free reign for those 9 seconds.
show these beforehand.
be the Diamond Shark,
relentless and ruthless.

Denort
Looking for group

Post by Denort »

I agree, common sense should also not be applied to arcane casters stopping time. The entire concept is neither common, nor sensible. :wink: Go for fun over common sense any day. It is not fun to to keep pausing because a mage somewhere has reached level 17 and has a new toy.
The concept of stopping time is not very compatible with large multiplayer games. In particular, server wide effects. As a level 9 spell maybe it could do a combination of effects.

In a colossal area of effect centered on the caster;
All allies are hasted for 1 hour.
All enemies are slowed for 1 turn. (no save)
All enemies are held for 3 rounds. (will save to negate)

It still keeps the whole time based theme with people slowing down, speeding up and stopping but without the annoying side effects of server wide pausing. Being a level 9 spell, the slow and hold effects would probably want to bypass the normal immunities such as freedom and mind immunity. Especially considering they are supposed to be a result of changes in time rather than actual hold and slow spell effects.

Qui
Looking for group

Post by Qui »

actually Denort in NS3 with Timecrystals i thought it worked great, it didnt get used that often.. problem is the game xists on multiple servers in which the time is 'hopefully' synched
"If you are 20 and not yet a communist you lack heart, If you are 30 and you are still a communist you lack rationality" ~ dont remember.

Midori
Noob

Post by Midori »

I think what you suggested there is quite possibly even more powerful than time stop. A wizard hasted with his enemies slowed and possibly held would make it real easy to kill somebody with IGMS or Ice Storms
show these beforehand.
be the Diamond Shark,
relentless and ruthless.

JesterOI
Resident Spam King

Post by JesterOI »

If a "true" timestop is going to be used, the time crystal idea is the best way I think, tried and proven via NS3.
How ever the best practical way (not necessarily the easiest) to impliment timestop would be to make it actually freeze everyone but the caster in the same area, and not the whole server, but no time crystals.
I like pizza!
LVL 69 LFGS!!!
The Hasselhoff 4 3v3r!!! Metis n3v3r!!!

Return to “General NS4 Discussion”