NWN: Enahnced Edition!

Talk about Neversummer 4 with your fellow players.
Celorn
Relic Raider

Re: NWN: Enahnced Edition!

Post by Celorn »

AllanTel wrote:I had no idea they were working on Neverwinter Nights enhanced version. I'm pretty excited about that to be honest. When is it due? I really enjoyed Baldur's Gate enhanced edition.
They've got a long way to go -- looks like one of the highest requested features is all new player character models...!

Latest livestream; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQySkIWXj9A

Current/future dev work; https://trello.com/b/K0C0i8wF/neverwint ... ed-edition

Requesting dev work; https://trello.com/b/Lb79bbgy/neverwinter-nights-input

And the Beamdog forums; https://forums.beamdog.com/categories/n ... discussion
ImageImage

Blystos Re
PKer

Post by Blystos Re »

This piqued my interest.

Several steam reviews saying that the server list is fixed, which I'd heard had been an issue after the old login servers went offline.

From what I am reading, it's looking as though they're going to carry the game forward with new updates, and that's good to hear.

As Lokey mentioned, $20 for the bug fixes alone, and a smoother toolkit, seems worth it (even though it would strictly be an NS4 client for me).

Guess I'll check back in a while and see what people are saying here now that it's out.
frogofpeace wrote:And we like to think of the FoN guildhall as cozy - perfect for cuddling up in our snuggies with a hot toddy after a long day of smiting.

frogofpeace
PKer

Post by frogofpeace »

Any more word on EE? Anybody used it yet?
Three years of nursery school and you think you know it all.
- Dr. Michael Hfuhruhurr

sknymick
Noob

Post by sknymick »

I've been playing on (and helping fix) World of Amon on EE for a bit. Beamdog definitely has a ways to go to get all the bugs out. They dropped in some really nice features (when they're working right), but in the process resurrected some old bugs, and made some new ones. Their master server isn't an authentication server, just for "match making" which presents some "security" issues. There are some animation bugs that cause mobs and PC's to stand in the middle of a fight trying to decide what they want to do (causing you to win big or die big).

The NWNX people have already made NWNX ready for EE on Linux (but won't be doing Windows).

You can't cross versions (i.e. you can't use a 1.69 client on a 1.74 server and vice versa). However, you can do all your modding and use the exact same .mod file (simultaneously) to host a 1.69 and 1.74 PW. If you mod with 1.69 Toolset, no special steps required. if you mod with 1.74, you have to open the mod with a text editor (Notepad ++) and search for 1.74 and replace with 1.69. We use this technique and it's running smooth.

Overall, I am pleased with it, if just that it broadcasts to a new clientele and lends itself to growing a community.

Let me know if this is useful. I might have answers to more pointed questions.

Sknymick

moobled
Noob

Post by moobled »

Hey guys, I have the enchanced version and the server isn't showing up on the list. I've tried connected via direct IP but I get server not responding.

Also just a side note, I tried logging in as my old account but it's saying I tried to many times. However there's no image showing up in the captcha so I can't try again.

Garn
Noob

Post by Garn »

moobled wrote:Hey guys, I have the enchanced version and the server isn't showing up on the list. I've tried connected via direct IP but I get server not responding.

Also just a side note, I tried logging in as my old account but it's saying I tried to many times. However there's no image showing up in the captcha so I can't try again.
thats because NWN: EE doesn't let you play on old servers; you're only allowed to play on EE servers
you can't even play on LAN with a non-EE player

and beamdog probably thinks that it was worth the maybe 2000 entire extra sales, and thats a generous estimate
too bad they didn't make EE compatible with non-EE

but at least you can export your 1.69 characters to EE, but not vice-versa

LinuxPup
Professor Nerfalicious

Post by LinuxPup »

Wow, haven't logged been on here in a looong time. What would it take to get NS4 running on Enhanced Edition? Haven't downloaded it yet... and who's hosting NS4 (if anyone) now?

EDIT: I wonder if they fixed horses... we had them for a few days I think, but they caused so many crashes we took them out.
Lead NS4 developer

[ Brilhasti ap Tarj ]
[ ...Darkfalz... ]
[ Azchekelon ]

frogofpeace
PKer

Post by frogofpeace »

Give me back my rapier.
Three years of nursery school and you think you know it all.
- Dr. Michael Hfuhruhurr

Garn
Noob

Post by Garn »

LinuxPup wrote:Wow, haven't logged been on here in a looong time. What would it take to get NS4 running on Enhanced Edition? Haven't downloaded it yet... and who's hosting NS4 (if anyone) now?

EDIT: I wonder if they fixed horses... we had them for a few days I think, but they caused so many crashes we took them out.
I dunno whos hosting, but I can tell you who the active and semi-active DMs/devs were as of the day before yesterday
mining develops sometimes, and he rarely logs on as a player; he is currently the only developer and makes very infrequent updates, the most recent one being a nerf to the maximum duration of inferno, which was done a few months ago
sultan logs on almost every Wednesday night for EPW... and hopefully, you'll be there tomorrow night with him
baccob has been online within the last 6 months, and is very rarely seen
and theres been a new DM since... uhh... about a year ago, called Myst; he or she has been online within the past 6 months, and is very rarely seen

also, we get from 12+ to 20+ players online on Wednesday nights, but pretty much never more than 29, if ever in the past two years, and we often get 10+ players online on weekend nights
we also get between 1 to 1.5 new players a month on average, if not more

LinuxPup
Professor Nerfalicious

Post by LinuxPup »

Cool. I think about NS4 every once in a while... was really fun working on it. I don't even have Neverwinter anymore...I think my Macbook Pro could run it though. Is one of the issues that NS4 doesn't show up in Enhanced Edition's server finder?

frogofpeace, I think Lokey has it ;)
Lead NS4 developer

[ Brilhasti ap Tarj ]
[ ...Darkfalz... ]
[ Azchekelon ]

Garn
Noob

Post by Garn »

LinuxPup wrote:Cool. I think about NS4 every once in a while... was really fun working on it. I don't even have Neverwinter anymore...I think my Macbook Pro could run it though. Is one of the issues that NS4 doesn't show up in Enhanced Edition's server finder?

frogofpeace, I think Lokey has it ;)
I dunno about that(I don't own it), but I can tell you this: NWN non-enhanced edition is now, iirc, bundled with enhanced edition on GoG, and is no longer available for separate purchase
and to make non-enhanced edition work on W7, you'd want to launch the program via nwmain.exe as an administrator with XP SP2 or 3 compatibility mode enabled without moving the mouse after clicking the administrator confirmation until you reach the NWN logo splash screen; you can mash esc after the first logo screen comes up to skip it and all the other ones and the opening cutscene
and don't forget to disable shiny water if you play it

Bargeld
PKer

Post by Bargeld »

Those W7 tips are only specific to certain computers/drivers. I have W7 and can watch movies, don't need to run as admin, don't need any compatibility settings, have shiny water turned on, and don't have to dance with my mouse to start the game. Movies play, everything is normal.
Death Dealers ::DD::
Laufer - Gemetzel - Force - Little Fist - Egil - Torture - Hatshepsu - Nemesis - Hierophant - Supernaut - Flesh Hound - Insurrection - Antithesis - Dead of Winter - Volcanus 2000

cely
PKer

Post by cely »

LinuxPup wrote:and who's hosting NS4 (if anyone) now?
BlkMamba has been hosting NS4 at digitalocean.com since Dec 2016.
cely
NS4 Server Admin
NS5 Developer (retired)

mining
Absentee Ballot Dev

Post by mining »

Still dropping in; still developing less than I should be :).

I think the main effort to getting NS4 to run on NWNEE would be:
- getting NWNX plugins ported
- dealing with any new balance changes (e.g. they changed stunfist again)
- character vault / database shenanigans? that's the sort of thing that gives me nightmares.
- one million years testing

IIRC the model they use for logins is significantly different, but I'm unsure if porting is easy. There's probably an FAQ.
Bargeld wrote:Overall, I think most would agree that a pure rogue is probably the worst build on the server.

Lokey
-2 Penalty in Daylight

Post by Lokey »

We all think of NS4 occasionally Bril. I even updated my dev environment a little while back :)

I do have a serious lack of time, and tracking down info on enhanced edition isn't the easiest. I don't think we have enough trust issues or instability issues for it to be really worth the effort, since there's also the everybody has to throw money out to get the new client and doesn't get enough visual bang for the buck for it to seem worthwhile.
Tep wrote:I login and there's a dwarf to kill. You can't ask for much more than that.

Alkapwn wrote:NC has the most amazing melee build there is. Its a friggin unstopable juggernaut of pain.

Return to “General NS4 Discussion”