NWN: Enahnced Edition!

Talk about Neversummer 4 with your fellow players.
Rogue2x
Noob

NWN: Enahnced Edition!

Post by Rogue2x »

Hey guys, been a long time!

I hope everyone is doing well. It's heartwarming to see Neversummer still going :)

It's also heartwarming to see Beamdog working on a NWN: Enhanced Edition. I had a lot of fun playing in this world with all of you, and made a lot of friends. I have a lot of good memories hanging out with everyone here. I'm hoping that the EE breathes more life into this game, and into this server.

I have to admit that for the amount of time I spend on my computer, I know very little about how it works software-wise. I pre-ordered the Enhanced Edition and got the "Head Start" early access, and was trying to direct connect to the server via the new EE, but it wasn't working for some reason. It looks like they've done away with the Gamespy part, and of the named logins. I think it uses some sort of key specific to my particular computer to generate my character list, which means I won't be able to use any of my old toons, which are also spread across several login names. I logged in using my old install, and it worked perfectly, so I guess I'll be using that install for now.

Either way, it's awesome that the new EE will hopefully bring in more people, and hopefully get this server back to it's heyday!

Do the devs have any plans to start using the EE? I understand this was all just announced and you guys need to figure out how it all works (which I won't even pretend to understand myself). I hope it's possible to port the old toons to whatever new system the EE is using to login, it'd seem like a LOT of wasted time to "lose" access through the EE (although I still have the original install, so "lose" is a bit overdramatic).

I chuckle to myself (with pride) at the sheer amount of time it'd take to conceptualize and build a new toon and then to level it, gear it out, and start raiding. Good times. This was always such a great game due to the sheer complexity of the system along with the nuances of the math involved.

Here's to the future! I look forward to getting back in there and killing you all again! :)
Primarch (hail to the king)
Bakura, Archael, Kaletta, Ephemeral, Isao, Ciel, Ondine, Raiven, Spectral Link, Sekera, Lokshi, Cassian

Garn
Noob

Re: NWN: Enahnced Edition!

Post by Garn »

in my opinion the enhanced edition, according to the trailer, does not look remarkably different
all i know for sure is that its supposed to support 4k and have some other graphical updates and let you modify and scale the UI some, and it has a new logo
the game that existed last year already supports 1920x1080 with 60hz
there are supposed to be more changes, in fact all of them, listed here
https://www.beamdog.com/files/nwnee_release_notes.pdf
but the page won't properly load for me

im not gonna waste my money on it, and I hope that its fully backwards compatible for multiplayer

Rogue2x
Noob

Post by Rogue2x »

Yeah, I was kind of hoping for a graphical update. Not that I mind the graphics, that was never what made the game so great for me, but it would've been cool, and would have made the EE more attractive to new players.

I'm just hoping we see a nice renewed interest in the server, get some of our amazing PvP going again.
Bakura, Archael, Kaletta, Ephemeral, Isao, Ciel, Ondine, Raiven, Spectral Link, Sekera, Lokshi, Cassian

Garn
Noob

Post by Garn »

Rogue2x wrote:Yeah, I was kind of hoping for a graphical update. Not that I mind the graphics, that was never what made the game so great for me, but it would've been cool, and would have made the EE more attractive to new players.

I'm just hoping we see a nice renewed interest in the server, get some of our amazing PvP going again.
this i would not entirely oppose... and i wouldnt oppose it at all if it meant i could level in peace, but oh well
also theres been alot of new players very recently anyway, so this may increase the number of new players by a great amount
i just hope that none of them are very easily... offended, and simultaneously taken seriously

Lokey
-2 Penalty in Daylight

Post by Lokey »

Did a bit of reading.

Bugfix list is worth $20 to me, but don't know if it is to everyone. (Fix server/client crash bugs, put info into effects natively, couple others.) Not backwards compatible, but no reason to expect it to be.

Visually there isn't too much you can't already do with the big texture packages, Project Q and Peachy's shaders-don't know if he's directly involved.

Like that niv is involved, Trent was always one of the most knowledgeable Bioware devs.
Tep wrote:I login and there's a dwarf to kill. You can't ask for much more than that.

Alkapwn wrote:NC has the most amazing melee build there is. Its a friggin unstopable juggernaut of pain.

frogofpeace
PKer

Post by frogofpeace »

Does backwards compatible mean both NS4and your personal copy need to be updated to work together?

As far as more PvP, even when the server was full all the time, there was plenty of room for PvP and PvM to coexist, even though there were people who played only for pvp (including some NC/TC people and not just the no-account, dadblamed PKers among the other factions). Anything that gets the population up especially during off hours is a good thing.

Is there any new content in the EE?
Three years of nursery school and you think you know it all.
- Dr. Michael Hfuhruhurr

Rogue2x
Noob

Post by Rogue2x »

I watched their livestream announcement and they kept talking about how the new EE is backwards compatible with the original game, modules, persistent worlds, and what-not, and how that was very important to them so that they could support the community that was still there. Beyond that, I have no idea what it means technically or practically, or how it would work or effect NS4.

As far as new content, they mentioned that the launch of the EE would not really be introducing new content. For now they are concentrating on "enhancing" the game by fixing bugs, and improving general performance. Trent did say though that they plan to keep working on the game after its launch, much like their Baldur's Gate EEs, and that new content is something they'd be interested in, but haven't gotten to the point of planning that sort of thing yet.

mining
Absentee Ballot Dev

Post by mining »

I'd like a bunch of those fixes if we can support clients running 1.69 or EE.
Bargeld wrote:Overall, I think most would agree that a pure rogue is probably the worst build on the server.

Rogue2x
Noob

Post by Rogue2x »

mining wrote:I'd like a bunch of those fixes if we can support clients running 1.69 or EE.
Hey Mining! I hope you've been doing well, it's nice to see you still here. And Lokey as well. And the rest of you :)

Someone asked this exact question during the livestream, but they didn't answer it. From the questions that were close to this one, it seems like the answer is that regardless of which client you're running, you'll be able to connect and play on whatever the server is running, and play with people regardless of which version they are using. They mentioned that's why they can't make some of the bigger, sweeping changes that some people requested; because it would break that backwards compatibility.

I'm not positive, but it sounded like that's what they were saying. I don't know a single thing about software engineering, so I could have completely misunderstood what was being talked about.

They also mentioned that they were going to move some of the previously "hard coded" stuff to being "soft coded". As far as I understand (and I don't really), I think that means that some of the pain-in-the-[censored] rules that couldn't be changed or balanced can now be accessed. So that sounds cool.

mining
Absentee Ballot Dev

Post by mining »

That seems pretty exciting if true. I'd love to not have to use NWNX at all :), and have an engine that supports changing this stuff.

Window for us changing over is probably a while, though - everything we currently do in NWNX would probably need support.
Bargeld wrote:Overall, I think most would agree that a pure rogue is probably the worst build on the server.

Frendel
Looking for group

Post by Frendel »

Most burning question is: Does this maybe mean we'll get mounts?

Lokey
-2 Penalty in Daylight

Post by Lokey »

They mention recompiling models to run better, that would be horses...but those need help to load fast and stay in memory. It's something they can address, depends on if they did. Now adding another +1ac per 5 skill to the game, no :)

Per this trainwreck of a thread: https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/6 ... ee-servers it's a no for 1.69 + EE officially. Whether it's "easy" to configure the server to accept 1.69 without that client falling over for the first release is a maybe. They plan to expand in ways that'd make that more difficult, not a promise they'll make.

I don't think nwnx will get easier than it is on the linux side. Surprising how much cool stuff we have is due to the clean function signatures being accidentally released with the 1.28 linux server :)
Tep wrote:I login and there's a dwarf to kill. You can't ask for much more than that.

Alkapwn wrote:NC has the most amazing melee build there is. Its a friggin unstopable juggernaut of pain.

mining
Absentee Ballot Dev

Post by mining »

What a trainwreck of a thread. I think we'll be 1.69 for the forseeable future, then.

Lokey
-2 Penalty in Daylight

Post by Lokey »

It did lead me to the nwnx thread where I learned there's something called NWNX_MoveSpeed. hmm

AllanTel
Noob

Post by AllanTel »

minfing wrote:What a trainwreck of a thread. I think we'll be 1.69 for bodybuilding forseeable future, then.
I had no idea they were working on Neverwinter Nights enhanced version. I'm pretty excited about that to be honest. When is it due? I really enjoyed Baldur's Gate enhanced edition.
Last edited by AllanTel on Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:22 am, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “General NS4 Discussion”