Build for newcomer

Talk about Neversummer 4 with your fellow players.
-MoK-
Noob

Build for newcomer

Post by -MoK- »

Hey everyone, just looking for a quick critique on my proposed build. Been away from NWN for ages and have never played NS4 seriously. I played 3towns for about 8 years on and off though so pretty well versed in building.

Thinking i'm gonna start with the classic bard/ftr/rdd 26/4/10 with lasting and all that jazz to begin with and move into my sneak builds when i understand the server better.

Any suggestions, tips, pointers, abuse, hot-dogs or anything else?

Look forward to seeing you all ingame!!

Tarias
Noob

Re: Build for newcomer

Post by Tarias »

Hey there, welcome to neversummer :)

Bard/ftr/rdd is a strong toon, and it also happens to be a toon you can only build in the most awesome faction (Ancient ones). I suggest making it Earth Genasi. I have no experience with other servers, but in this place you want epic discipline, and if you're hoping to do anything against hipsers you'll want epic listen. The wiki has a lot of useful information. You could take a look at the available weapons before you choose one, as there are some asymmetries (the best scimitar, for example, is only +6, while many other weapons go up to +7 or even +8).

Other than that; Have fun, do the AO jobs to level up, and feel free to send me a message in game if you need anything (most toons are named Tarias, should be easy enough to recognize:))

-MoK-
Noob

Post by -MoK- »

Thanks for the warm welcome.

I'm an Aasimar(sp) already and level 7. Currently hunting around for ogres to kill and other things for XP. Typical that i'd already focussed in the Scimitar lol.

I'm primarily interested in PvE content, i have enough pvp on my plate with my console gaming.

Tarias
Noob

Post by Tarias »

Haha, I figured you would have picked scimitar, thats why I specifically mentioned it :P It's still a great weapon though :) Ogres are great xp at level 7, and as soon as you get some RDD levels going, you should have a relatively easy time leveling up untill level 30 or so :)

See you in game! :)

Lokey
-2 Penalty in Daylight

Post by Lokey »

I'd probably think blackguard for the saves, RDD will certainly help your fort and will a bit. Of course the usual new-comer recommend is any type of cleric spellcaster, that'll always be useful to you in some way. Definitely try to fit still or silent spell in there somewhere and check where the song bard level cut-offs are (with good charisma you probably won't need any feats to boost perform).

http://www.nsrealm.com/ns4wiki/index.ph ... =Bard_Song http://www.nsrealm.com/ns4wiki/index.ph ... Curse_Song
Tep wrote:I login and there's a dwarf to kill. You can't ask for much more than that.

Alkapwn wrote:NC has the most amazing melee build there is. Its a friggin unstopable juggernaut of pain.

Delisha Zrazorian
Newbie Helper

Post by Delisha Zrazorian »

Welcome to NS :D

FYI - RDD can't be de-lvled other than using books...

*hugs a tree*

cya IG :lol: :lol:

at your service,
DZ :twisted:
My attitude toward men who mess around is simple: If you find 'em, kill 'em!

Rufio
PKer

Post by Rufio »

That is probably a pretty solid build. Bards and clerics are generally the most versatile builds and what I recommend as starter builds.

A few notes:
Saves are important on this server, there are no items that grant immunity from anything and most spells that grant immunity have been nerfed to just grant save bonuses. It is good idea to take some feats for fort and will on many builds. Discipline is also important and many builds take epic skill focuses.

You will probably want still spell to help with spellcasting. There are a few armors and shields with reduced spell failure, but they aren't common and won't be as optimized as fullplate and tower shields defensively.

Damage reduction is important, which is why earth genasi was recommended, but you'll also benefit from collecting a variety of armors and shields and switching liberally depending on the situation. It is a common newbie mistake to always use their rarest armor in situations where another common armor would do better.

A bard/fighter/rdd will probably be good solo, in small parties, and in pvp, but probably isn't optimal for large parties in endgame areas. On the flip side of that, many builds that are optimized for large endgame parties aren't that great in PvP.

If you want to PvP, take full ranks in listen (or spot for non bards) and ideally some skill focuses. Spotting, listening, and hiding is a big part of PvP. Bards have a natural advantage as they are the only things that can buff listen and hiders can't buff their move silently as high as their hide. Keen senses also help a lot, but that limits your races to elves. Aasimar also has a nice anti-hipser aura, which most hiders just avoid, but it counts for something.
Sebastian (TSS) Doc - Rufio of (TSS) - Dagr (TSS)
Raijin {FoN} - Arcadia {FoN} - Geb {FoN}

Return to “General NS4 Discussion”