Hosting situation

Talk about Neversummer 4 with your fellow players.
Lokey
-2 Penalty in Daylight

Hosting situation

Post by Lokey »

As you know, we're currently serving from cely's home connection on his hardware. As storm season hits, his utilities get iffy and besides he doesn't want to host forever.

We don't know yet if Sultan can acquire the hardware we used previously, but that's only a $400US build; we can cancel Christmas for tep's kids if needed. We have some semi-decent home connections to pick from among the team and a possible freebie from a hosting company (Europe), but nothing industrial park or better (routing to home connections tends to be hideous plus other reliability problems) so far. Havnen't been able to convince tep to move into google fiber territory either.

We'd rather something that didn't have continuing costs, putting together a fund is annoying (1 or 2u colocation runs like $40-50, VM about the same, need a somewhat decent amount of cpu and ram). Depending on where it can be hosted, only knowledge needed is build and install disk image (shipping parts probably being free and easier than shipping a comp, but can do that if needed too). Rest of setup can be handled remotely. Would appreciate help adminning, but can survive with the occasional press the power button and occasionally dust and check for explosions and figuring out how to handle data backup.

So that's the lack of news, post here or message any or all of myself, mining, tep or cely. Cely's not pulling the plug today, but we do need to come up with something else in a few weeks.

Thanks again for those that volunteered to host on home connections.
Tep wrote:I login and there's a dwarf to kill. You can't ask for much more than that.

Alkapwn wrote:NC has the most amazing melee build there is. Its a friggin unstopable juggernaut of pain.

Korr
PKer

Re: Hosting situation

Post by Korr »

Wish I could convince (though I guess I could try lol) my company to host. We do SO much of similar things anyway, I think our VM cluster is something like 50 cores (including hyperthreaded xeons) and several terabytes of ram. ALL of which is horribly underutilized for what we do (though someday it might not be!).

Though I dont live far from google fiber(about 10 miles) I dont have it to help offer. ';(

I do have like $30 on my paypal I can donate!!!
Amoenotep wrote:korr is the greatest :(

ImageImage

Frendel
Looking for group

Post by Frendel »

I'll throw some cash in. I've played here for 6 years, might as well. This info still good?

McEver Studios
2503 Kathleen Cove
Leander TX 78641

Make checks payable to McEver Studios?

Lokey
-2 Penalty in Daylight

Post by Lokey »

Hopefully the only expense would be one time build a new box (cely's weighs like 20 tons and it'd be more hassle to ship and find a home for than building a new small form factor box). In that case, we'll figure out the financial help/least hassle to get it somewhere details then.

I'm not sure if DD's moved again or not, though a few bucks to him doesn't hurt (he handles the financial for this site).

Still exploring options, i.e. the hard part. Rest will be easy.
Tep wrote:I login and there's a dwarf to kill. You can't ask for much more than that.

Alkapwn wrote:NC has the most amazing melee build there is. Its a friggin unstopable juggernaut of pain.

Delisha Zrazorian
Newbie Helper

Post by Delisha Zrazorian »

Greetings,

Fury update...

Mord is on the list to have a business fiber optic line (through D & F Communications, Fredonia, New York) installed... they promise before the first of the year...

as for a rig... I've already bought the case, power supply, dvd player, and the hard drive... and a new copy of NWN

just waiting on some specs to purchase the motherboard and cpu that will best do the job...

will keep you updated... :D

at your service,
Dee :twisted:
My attitude toward men who mess around is simple: If you find 'em, kill 'em!

Return to “General NS4 Discussion”