Shout Abuse

Talk about Neversummer 4 with your fellow players.
Monkey
Pk Bait

Shout Abuse

Post by Monkey »

Are there any official policies on this?

The shout channel is great for finding parties, or for letting everyone know what's going on in with relics, but some people abuse it by using it far too often. The result is that it's hard to communicate with party members at times and to new players the server often looks juvenile because the shouts can be so petty and pointless.

Some of my own pet peeves:

4. People shouting praises to the gods every time they level. Gratz, but it usually just annoys people and often leads to snarky shouts in response.

3. People shouting lame excuses to the server when they get killed in PvP. To me this makes the player look even more lame than the toon that got killed. Even the best toons die in PvP sometimes, but the best players don't feel a need to shout excuses when it happens. Grow up and congratulate your killer with a tell, or just shut up and get back into the fray.

2. People getting into flame wars. These just go on endlessly and don't accomplish anything other than blocking all meaningful communication on the server. Yes, some people find it amusing to watch two or more people make fools of themselves while driving themselves nuts. I'm not one of those people though.

1. Pathetic, attention seeking shouts from newbies. (Edited for politeness... original version may still be viewable in responses).
Last edited by Monkey on Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rufio
PKer

Re: Shout Abuse

Post by Rufio »

Without 24/7 DM vigilance, shout policies are difficult to enforce. The only policies I know of are no swearing, no verbally abusing other players, and no shouting with intent to spam.

A "no saying dumb things" policy would be fine and all, but people generally don't say dumb things on purpose, or their opinion on what is dumb happens to be different.
Last edited by Rufio on Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sebastian (TSS) Doc - Rufio of (TSS) - Dagr (TSS)
Raijin {FoN} - Arcadia {FoN} - Geb {FoN}

MasterYoda
PKer

Post by MasterYoda »

Monkey wrote:Are there any official policies on this?

The shout channel is great for finding parties, or for letting everyone know what's going on in with relics, but some people abuse it by using it far too often. The result is that it's hard to communicate with party members at times and to new players the server often looks juvenile because the shouts can be so petty and pointless.

Some of my own pet peeves:

4. People shouting praises to the gods every time they level. Gratz, but it usually just annoys people and often leads to snarky shouts in response.

3. People shouting lame excuses to the server when they get killed in PvP. To me this makes the player look even more lame than the toon that got killed. Even the best toons die in PvP sometimes, but the best players don't feel a need to shout excuses when it happens. Grow up and congratulate your killer with a tell, or just shut up and get back into the fray.

2. People getting into flame wars. These just go on endlessly and don't accomplish anything other than blocking all meaningful communication on the server. Yes, some people find it amusing to watch two or more people make fools of themselves while driving themselves nuts. I'm not one of those people though.

1. Pathetic, attention seeking shouts from newbies. There's been a new guy around lately who's managed to annoy almost everyone with his ignorance, his playing style, and his constant abuse of the shout channel. I taught 1st grade for many years, and I've had some students who'd annoy other kids and cause problems just for attention. They were neglected and belittled at home and pretty much the only way they could get attention and feel relevant was too annoy people. The new guy reminds me an awful lot of these kids. It's pathetic and people should really just ignore him in the hope that he'll go away and find someone else to bug. Instead we usually just get flame wars on the shout channel which feeds the guy's need for attention.
First of all if your gonna whhine abotu rules then folloe then. Second turn it off you can do that. 3rd shut up. Your gonna act like a child your gonna get treatyed like one. If your gonna break rules and be a douchebag then dont come onthe forums crying like a little baby about shout. Turn it off stop being a whiner.
TGPO wrote:Man, dont u hate it when yoda is right

Amoenotep wrote:yeah....he's a little right :(

Nyeleni
Relic Raider

Post by Nyeleni »

Turning off shout isn't the solution. You can miss vital stuff otherwise. Other than that, your post was as enlightening as your usual shouts, Yoda.
Other than the recruiting ones. But who would want to join your clan is beyond me...
Aiya Mielikki! CELEB ALCONTARI CUYO ANANN!

For the Glory of Torm! Clericus Liberatus Anno Dominis - Gloria Triadis!

Alkapwn
PKer

Post by Alkapwn »

1 = Havok rofl
::DD:: Minister of Hatemongering and Enemy Carpaccio
:MADD: Resident SlackMaster and KittenPuncher

mining
Absentee Ballot Dev

Post by mining »

Note: Its quite possible for us to stop persistent shout abusers from using this channel. Or from using the server, if it comes to that.

Secondly: No personal attacks. Monkey's come onto the forums with reasonable comments/questions, no need to come out swinging. If its directed at you, then maybe you should look at your use of the shout channel, if in the, what, 30 minutes you've been back you've been able to elicit a thread about shouting when 60 odd players and 2 years haven't been able to?

Finally, in regard to the actual points:

4) I'm ok with this. Praising the gods when significant things happen is fine. If its annoying, well, they'll start to be pretty quiet after level 30 :).

3) Yah, its stupid, but its not covered anywhere by hard and fast rules. Its a free server/free country scenario - if people want to complain, they can, sadly. If it IS shout spam/abuse, not cool.

2) Query on flame war. Debates on shout CAN be ok if the majority of the server is involved/appreciate it, but if someone asks you to stop, take it to tells/irc/party chat or something.

1) Again, no personal attacks. It would've been quite fine to comment on shout spam without comparing them to a neglected 6 year old.

The relevant commandments:
I - Thou shalt not abuse the Shout channel by cursing, blaspheming,spamming, or harrassing messages of any kind. This Realm is inhabited by both children and grandparents; moderate your language appropriately. Vulgar language will not be tolerated and the guilty party will be banished from the realm.
VIII - Thou shalt not disrupt the server community. Behaviors that directly affect other players, DMs, or others in general that are deemed disruptive by a DM shall not be tolerated. This is not open to debate on the forums.
XIII - It is the spirit of all commandments which is enforced and not the strict letter. Players who habitually skirt the edge of legal behavior will have their bad attitudes taken into account; the gods of Aetheria have long memories and little patience for those who damage the community at large.
Bargeld wrote:Overall, I think most would agree that a pure rogue is probably the worst build on the server.

MasterYoda
PKer

Post by MasterYoda »

he relevant commandments:
I - Thou shalt not abuse the Shout channel by cursing, blaspheming,spamming, or harrassing messages of any kind. This Realm is inhabited by both children and grandparents; moderate your language appropriately. Vulgar language will not be tolerated and the guilty party will be banished from the realm.
VIII - Thou shalt not disrupt the server community. Behaviors that directly affect other players, DMs, or others in general that are deemed disruptive by a DM shall not be tolerated. This is not open to debate on the forums.
XIII - It is the spirit of all commandments which is enforced and not the strict letter. Players who habitually skirt the edge of legal behavior will have their bad attitudes taken into account; the gods of Aetheria have long memories and little patience for those who damage the community at large.
- end Quote

This is crap and frankly isnt fair. Yesterday Monkey Venge logged on me. Now how EVER you wish to make the loop holes or say it however you want a BLANTENT rule was broken and not only done. but done with a dm on who said they didnt have time.

Spammin shout is derevitive to the person doing it. I dont break rules and quite frankly ifyour going to ban for for shouting then do it. I have been gone for a while yes and now im back. Your the dm deal wiht it. Log on to see the shouts. look and see whats happening. Dont just sit there and take someones word for it.

in the 30 mins i have been here as you put it. I have been venge logged, trained with mobs causing xp loss , hunted, disarmed and wepon kept, and ect. Its part of the game. I talk massive crap over shout especially when others did it first and then i put them in there place.

I personally think if your going to be a dm and get on here like you know what your talking about you should spend more time in game before you take some randoms opinion over a player thats beenhere for what 10 years wiht a rep where you know idont break rules i bend them.

I follow all the commandments to a tee and i kill poeple. Freedom of the game. thats what i want to do and kst people want to do and quite frankly touch cookies to anyone who wants to complain.

Further more poeple who join kst join cause they see how we are. We talk crap then we kill people and we shout about it.

Ask ANY kst member. When we get owned and someone wants to talk crap i ALLWAYS tell them no to if they got spanked. i have had MANY run ins wiht poeple higher level than me and i STILL attack so dont feel special cause i happened to kill you.

Ya im back deal with it. Ban me or tell poeple exactly what they need to hear.

DEAL WITH IT YOUR SELF. im nto breaking rules and quite frankly after seeing others break rules and get away wiht it im still not going to break any rules with the exception of cussing on shout. Which i will apologize for. But again im not the only one who did this so if i do get banned for it then i guess it just goes to show you can take the Havok out of Neversummer, but there will allways be whiny babies who complain and moan all the time.

I b***h on shout. Yes. But when? i get killed by someone 10 lvls higher and there mocking me? Or how about when i get specifically hunted by 5 poeple who kill me over and over again and start takling crap. Or how about when you KNOW i dont care or my wife or friends are on and i get told when i get back on that ALL you poeple did was kill them over and over again. WHens the last time you heard me [censored] about being unbuffed, fighting mobs, pissed off cause of XP loss?

Never. So shut up. Plain and simple. dont lie it leave, dont want me here ban me. The fact of the matter is i am being compared to a child cause i am killing poeple, and defending my self on shout? cmon, children throw fits till they get there way. complain aotu stuff then do it them selves.

This is rediculess. Plain and simple. years ago this would be the DM response.

PVP is part of the server deal with it.

on another note the ONE time i ever saw a dm on was auril and when he said to shut up i did.

So again join the server sometime and BE a dm or shut up cause you dont even know what YOUR talking about.

MasterYoda
PKer

Post by MasterYoda »

and BTW i have been here since the begenning. =kSt= was not only the first guild on teh server to be both Recgonized and have forums but we also were teh first guild to EVER have a 40 on this server that wasnt paid for. So before you try to tell someone about the rules you should pay attention to who your talking to :)

Rufio
PKer

Post by Rufio »

Ok, I take my last comment back.

I think we should institute a "Don't say dumb things" rule, but apply it to the forums also.
Sebastian (TSS) Doc - Rufio of (TSS) - Dagr (TSS)
Raijin {FoN} - Arcadia {FoN} - Geb {FoN}

Bargeld
PKer

Post by Bargeld »

MasterYoda wrote:Further more poeple who join kst join cause they see how we are. We talk crap then we kill people and we shout about it.
Bad PR is still PR. This is all a media stunt.

And if it's not...

Death Dealers ::DD::
Laufer - Gemetzel - Force - Little Fist - Egil - Torture - Hatshepsu - Nemesis - Hierophant - Supernaut - Flesh Hound - Insurrection - Antithesis - Dead of Winter - Volcanus 2000

MasterYoda
PKer

Post by MasterYoda »

Bargeld wrote:
MasterYoda wrote:Further more poeple who join kst join cause they see how we are. We talk crap then we kill people and we shout about it.
Bad PR is still PR. This is all a media stunt.

And if it's not...

Last i knew making fun of someones special needs in unacceptable. Sice i know of at least 1 peson in NS who reads the boards has been in teh special olympics i appreciate you do not mock them.

See Ryddwillow i DO have you back ^^ :)

Amoenotep
Lord DM Supreme

Post by Amoenotep »

yeah....he's a little right :(
Mask, Lord of the Shadows
Gruumsh, One-Eye
amoenotep@hotmail.com
----------------------------------

Lokey
-2 Penalty in Daylight

Post by Lokey »

Don't forget rule 0 and that we enforce the spirit of the rules more so than the actual rules (because while they're hopelessly inadequate they're also complicated and probably contradictory).
Tep wrote:I login and there's a dwarf to kill. You can't ask for much more than that.

Alkapwn wrote:NC has the most amazing melee build there is. Its a friggin unstopable juggernaut of pain.

Monkey
Pk Bait

Post by Monkey »

MasterYoda wrote:Yesterday Monkey Venge logged on me.
For the record...

I'd been playing with Clha and Homer (a newbie). I've been helping Homer level his cleric with my paladin, but he had to log and I didn't want to level that toon ahead of him, so our party was about to break up.

Havok and his dual-logge-wife toon found my paladin alone on the mountain. My toon gave the VSS "Hi there." greeting. Havok's wyrmling started attacking me. I moved a couple steps away and used the keyboard to move forward and back so that mine wouldn't counterattack. He kept at it, every few rounds rolling a 20 and doing 5 or 6 points of damage. Eventually I got tired of waiting for him to kill me, so I just logged off and started leveling another toon in FD, which I'd been planning to do anyway.

I suppose it would have been more polite to take off my gear and let him kill me faster. If a similar situation arises I'll just do that instead. I have no interest in validating his delusions by attacking him with any of my toons.

mining wrote:1) Again, no personal attacks. It would've been quite fine to comment on shout spam without comparing them to a neglected 6 year old.
Yes, too personal. My apologies to any who were offended. My intent was to encourage others to ignore negative attention-seeking behaviors rather than respond aggressively.

MasterYoda
PKer

Post by MasterYoda »

Monkey wrote:
MasterYoda wrote:Yesterday Monkey Venge logged on me.
For the record...

I'd been playing with Clha and Homer (a newbie). I've been helping Homer level his cleric with my paladin, but he had to log and I didn't want to level that toon ahead of him, so our party was about to break up.

Havok and his dual-logge-wife toon found my paladin alone on the mountain. My toon gave the VSS "Hi there." greeting. Havok's wyrmling started attacking me. I moved a couple steps away and used the keyboard to move forward and back so that mine wouldn't counterattack. He kept at it, every few rounds rolling a 20 and doing 5 or 6 points of damage. Eventually I got tired of waiting for him to kill me, so I just logged off and started leveling another toon in FD, which I'd been planning to do anyway.

I suppose it would have been more polite to take off my gear and let him kill me faster. If a similar situation arises I'll just do that instead. I have no interest in validating his delusions by attacking him with any of my toons.

mining wrote:1) Again, no personal attacks. It would've been quite fine to comment on shout spam without comparing them to a neglected 6 year old.
Yes, too personal. My apologies to any who were offended. My intent was to encourage others to ignore negative attention-seeking behaviors rather than respond aggressively.
First of all it wasnt my wife it was ANOTHER guy who was brand new to the server. Played like mabey a week? so you Venge logged onto him as well of me doing exactly what you are currently crying about.

and you logged off about 10 seconds into it. Dont flatter your self monkey on being a good player.

Return to “General NS4 Discussion”