Monk Build

Talk about Neversummer 4 with your fellow players.
Dobian
Noob

Monk Build

Post by Dobian »

I have a soon-to-be 11 monk with kama weapon focus. I was wondering if I should keep him as a pure monk with his kama as a backup, or make him a monk/ranger duel-wield kama with, ultimately, improved weapon fighting? Any suggestions? I don't know what kind of kamas are available here beyond the basic ones.

Bargeld
PKer

Re: Monk Build

Post by Bargeld »

Death Dealers ::DD::
Laufer - Gemetzel - Force - Little Fist - Egil - Torture - Hatshepsu - Nemesis - Hierophant - Supernaut - Flesh Hound - Insurrection - Antithesis - Dead of Winter - Volcanus 2000

Dobian
Noob

Post by Dobian »

Thanks. Is there a table for how many skill points you need to craft different weapons? I know that there is a system of experience points but don't know how that fits in with your base skill points. I haven't put any points into crafting weapons (just 1).

mining
Absentee Ballot Dev

Post by mining »

No craft skill ranks needed to make weapons, and crafted weapons are useless.
Bargeld wrote:Overall, I think most would agree that a pure rogue is probably the worst build on the server.

Dobian
Noob

Post by Dobian »

Good to know. I won't put anymore points into crafting then.

Shadowalker
Relic Raider

Post by Shadowalker »

for a stealthy monk add SD

unarmed monks tend to build for stunning fist

kama monks can increase dmg with dual wielding (by feats or ranger) and/or the addtion of cleric with divine might/shield
Twig (TSS) - Twig [CLAD] - Twigs -Fury- - SyNfully Rotted Twig - Twig'lee -Down Under- - Twig'zilla

Fergus Glonshire [FoN] - Sakij Lovac [FoN] - Zatharus Rivermoon (TSS) - Bumble (TSS) - Body built for SyN

Rufio
PKer

Post by Rufio »

Dobian wrote:Thanks. Is there a table for how many skill points you need to craft different weapons? I know that there is a system of experience points but don't know how that fits in with your base skill points. I haven't put any points into crafting weapons (just 1).
check out the wiki for the crafting system here. unfortunately crafted weapons aren't too hot, but everything else is worthwhile and widely used. monks can be master artisan tailors, which is a good craft.
Sebastian (TSS) Doc - Rufio of (TSS) - Dagr (TSS)
Raijin {FoN} - Arcadia {FoN} - Geb {FoN}

Dobian
Noob

Post by Dobian »

Shadowalker wrote:for a stealthy monk add SD

unarmed monks tend to build for stunning fist

kama monks can increase dmg with dual wielding (by feats or ranger) and/or the addtion of cleric with divine might/shield
Yeah I took a point of ranger at 11. Now I have my two kamas and I kill faster. I'll want to go to at least 4 ranger to get the extra attack round, but maybe all the way up to 9 to get improved weapon fighting. Don't know what I'll do after 20 but I'm not going to plan that far ahead.

Dobian
Noob

Post by Dobian »

There's really no point taking more ranger levels after 4, I just wanted to get to BAB 16 by level 20 anyway. So I figure at 20 I'll be monk 16 / ranger 4. After that, I was thinking of going cleric or RDD. Is there an advantage to one over the other on this server?

Amoenotep
Lord DM Supreme

Post by Amoenotep »

need bard or sorc to be RDD
Mask, Lord of the Shadows
Gruumsh, One-Eye
amoenotep@hotmail.com
----------------------------------

Dobian
Noob

Post by Dobian »

That's right I'd need a bard level. That would be sort of weird. And I'd need lore. Okay I'm scratching that one. Monk/Cleric FTW.

Dobian
Noob

Post by Dobian »

Okay I'm at a crossroads, with a monk 16/ranger 5. I can go monk the rest of the way and have a pretty powerful dual-wielding kama monk, but how powerful would that be on this server? I could also go cleric but would need 17 or 18 levels of that so I could have level 9 cleric spells. So it would be a pretty good cleric/pretty good monk. If I go kama monk I'll need some better kamas soon.

Bargeld
PKer

Post by Bargeld »

9 clc 11 monk will get you lvl 5 spells (battle tide & true sight). Kinda depends on your base wisdom too... max spell lvl = base wis -10, so you would need base 15 wis for that. You would also get divine favor and power (+ battletide) for some good AB boosts. This would also get you to 27 monk, and 180% speed (faster than haste). If you wanted the cool monk mist @ mnk 30, you could do 30 monk 5 rngr 5 clc and still get some decent AB spells and basic buffs up to lvl 3 (extend spell might be useful here too).

As for domains... that depends on what you are imagining I suppose. The standards are trick/travel for ii and haste.

I guess see what others might suggest too. You will find that most of the players on this server that are into heavy PvP will build their entire toon before ever creating the character on the server. Of course those players also put in a lot of hours into playing and end up with many toons.
Death Dealers ::DD::
Laufer - Gemetzel - Force - Little Fist - Egil - Torture - Hatshepsu - Nemesis - Hierophant - Supernaut - Flesh Hound - Insurrection - Antithesis - Dead of Winter - Volcanus 2000

Dobian
Noob

Post by Dobian »

Bargeld wrote:You will find that most of the players on this server that are into heavy PvP will build their entire toon before ever creating the character on the server. Of course those players also put in a lot of hours into playing and end up with many toons.
Yeah, you see that's not my idea of fun. It's just mathematics, not roleplaying. If I was going to map out every class and feat and skill point at every level before I started, I may as well just open up Leto and build the whole character in a gui and save myself a hundred hours of tedious killing, if a server would let me do that. The fun comes in not knowing, or thinking you know and then changing your mind, and taking your character in some totally new direction and finding out where it leads. It makes levelling something to look forward to, not just a rote exercise.

Rufio
PKer

Post by Rufio »

ah, but you can't pvp or conquer all the NS4 dungeons in leto :wink:

To do well in pvp AND pvm here, you need a well built toon, and believe me, my first build here was mostly unplanned, and it just couldn't handle the challenges. Yours may fare better, but everyone's first build here isn't too optimized anyway, so maybe it is best to just wing it and figure things out from experience. It takes a few mistakes to figure out what is really needed to handle the toughest parts of the server.
Sebastian (TSS) Doc - Rufio of (TSS) - Dagr (TSS)
Raijin {FoN} - Arcadia {FoN} - Geb {FoN}

Return to “General NS4 Discussion”