Polling the populace for opinions on a server wipe.

Talk about Neversummer 4 with your fellow players.

Wipe NS4?

Yes, it will be a good thing to start fresh.
47%
No
40%
Do it and I am out of here!
13%

Total votes: 68

Lorkar
Spamalot

Polling the populace for opinions on a server wipe.

Post by Lorkar »

I am curious as to how many people are for or against a server wipe. I favor a server wipe because of the final patch release. And also the addition of a new class, not too mention the various cumulative changes since NS4 went live. I believe it will breathe new life into the server (I know some of my guildmates will return to play if the is a wipe). How many would leave...who knows probably not alot given the current playerbase.
I put the IO in socIOpath!
Lokey wrote:Yeah, ... I blame Tep in that case.
ImageImage

Bargeld
PKer

Re: Polling the populace for opinions on a server wipe.

Post by Bargeld »

When this topic comes up in the game, the general consensus of the long-time player is that, were a server wipe to occur, they would not be back to rebuild their toons, gp, and item hoardes. I understand this sentiment.

Personally, I believe that there is a better solution than a server wipe. It should be possible to clean up the player databse by deleting toons that have not been accessed/saved within the past X amount of time, perhaps a year or so. This would address the growing database size, while maintaining the work that active players have acheived.

The addition of a class and new skills is just that, an addition... it does not render existing toons useless. For those who really care about mounted comabt etc, they will most likely build around that skill and come up with a new creation anyway.

Are there any other main issues that the general population should be aware of that may impact this 'vote'?
Death Dealers ::DD::
Laufer - Gemetzel - Force - Little Fist - Egil - Torture - Hatshepsu - Nemesis - Hierophant - Supernaut - Flesh Hound - Insurrection - Antithesis - Dead of Winter - Volcanus 2000

Goreshade
Noob

Post by Goreshade »

I think the devs are smart enough to figure a way out to update this server with out a wipe... I know a few people that stopped playing this game because of the last wipe... And I agree with Laufy, just look at what players/toons havent been logged in, in a long time and do a little 'spring' cleaning.

SO my vote would be no wipe. Thank you, come again.

-Goreshade

--Ashe--
Looking for group

Post by --Ashe-- »

I'm for it. Bring on the wipe.
Celeste Harenhaal {FoN}, Rayne Quinn {FoN}, Vin {FoN}
Shogun (TSS), Zen (TSS)
Tyrion SyN, Deviant SyN, Rahvin SyN, Venial SyN

priestofbast
Looking for group

Post by priestofbast »

some of us can't play all day every day and are relatively new to ns4. i, for one, would be broken-hearted to lose my hardwon couple of toons that have some time in them.

but since i am so new, perhaps i fail to see the need.

priest of bast

brother catfoot
catfoot of sol

Gornickthy
Spamalot

Post by Gornickthy »

Personally I think a server wipe is the best idea there is. Get rid of all the DM items that are not available to all the players and put the player base at an even level again. Then stop DM's from playing favorites again in the future. Sorry, but it is true and we all know it. It may not exist anymore, but it did at one point. If items are not available to everyone then they should not be coveted by the select few. Enough said.
Power is not given. It is taken.
Tal, Soul Reaper of [IO]
Gol-Gorath [IO]
Shilo [IO]
Cthulhus Acolyte [IO]
Ya ya ya I know... stop whining, complaining, and learn to build better.

Bargeld
PKer

Post by Bargeld »

Gornickthy wrote:Get rid of all the DM items that are not available to all the players and put the player base at an even level again.
This is my sentiment as well, but because of my noobness here, it definately is a biased choice. When it comes down to it, I'd rather keep keep my friends and fight the tougher battle vs the more equipped enemy.
Death Dealers ::DD::
Laufer - Gemetzel - Force - Little Fist - Egil - Torture - Hatshepsu - Nemesis - Hierophant - Supernaut - Flesh Hound - Insurrection - Antithesis - Dead of Winter - Volcanus 2000

-BannyD-
Spamalot

Post by -BannyD- »

100% for a wipe.
-Slave- [GM]
Psycho Banny and all his forms

Chuff_7
Noob

Post by Chuff_7 »

Bargeld wrote:The addition of a class and new skills is just that, an addition... it does not render existing toons useless.
Not useless but there will be some "illegal" toons. I believe the new patch corrects the previous errors (not listed in the manual) with Epic Dodge and Tumble. Currently the requirement is only a Dex of 25. The new patch corrects this with a toon now required to be at least level 27 before taking Epic Dodge (i.e. Tumble 30).

I think a wipe is good even though I will lose 1/2 doz books! :(
Cashmere the Unrepentant
Chiffon the Sojourner
Pongee the Peacemaker
Jaconet de Heureux
Velvet the Troubadour

VagaStorm
Developer

Post by VagaStorm »

I don't know wether a wipe would be good or bad, but I -DO- trust that the devs responsible for making that decision know. I to will loose some books and 900 lvls worth of toons, some wery interesting, some deserve only wiping ;..; but the bottom line is, every single one of those 900 lvls where fun to get, and I expect getting another 900 will be just as fun as the previous ones. I do not rely play to horde toons, but to have fun, and playing will be just as fun weather I play old or brand new toons :)
Best Regards
VagaStorm

Why would I want to count 12 hours twice? I’m perfectly capable of counting to 24, and while we’re at it, can someone go shoot named time zones. GMT+x is all we need!

Amoenotep wrote:if you die to harper that just means your build sucks.

Amoenotep
Lord DM Supreme

Post by Amoenotep »

wow...another wipe thread? lol
Mask, Lord of the Shadows
Gruumsh, One-Eye
amoenotep@hotmail.com
----------------------------------

Charles I
Looking for group

Post by Charles I »

IMO 80-85% of the characters here will become invalid. What will happen to invalid characters? Will their be a way to make them valid or will they remain in the database inaccessible? I would not expect DMs or Devs to sift through thousands of database entries to figure out which are valid or invalid. I know deleveling/releveling scripts are possible, but not certain how complex this would be or what new hardcoding might prevent this. If half or more of the existing characters become unplayable and cannot be corrected, then it's time for a fresh start.
Adapt or die.

Mental
Pk Bait

Post by Mental »

hmm, i am for the wipe because of a new beggining, like some others i do have rare drops such as dm dropped items. Plus I have a few books to lose as well, and some epic gear from places such as posi plane, neg ect... On the other hand I am against the vote because of other ppl with all their hard work to gain their lvl 40 toons, and gear. I dont think I will vote on this, but maybe someone can update me and the poll see who voted for what.

cRaZy8or5e
PKer

Post by cRaZy8or5e »

There is no option for "I could care less" so I'm writing it in.

Seriously I don't 'play' to build up a storehouse of gear and toons, although in my time at 'play' I have both now.

I 'play.' Nuff said.

The idea that we as a playerbase have a say in the matter is absolutely silly. We are a fickle bothersome bunch that show very little gratitude for the effort put in by those who keep NS4 exciting and new. Why would they care if we all left. More people will come in. And if for some reason more players don't show up, then its probably time for Aetheria to disappear back into the rifts and DD can find a more profitable or enjoyable use for the equipment he's got invested here.
"Nobody Expects the Northern Inquisition!!!!"
-Blystos Re-

$chase$
Dearly Departed

Post by $chase$ »

that is the best post i have read in about a year.
Auril - God Of Trickery
good thing im the DM then.............................lol

Return to “General NS4 Discussion”