Bigsy spells

Talk about Neversummer 4 with your fellow players.
Eldaquen
Newbie Helper

Re: Bigsy spells

Post by Eldaquen »

Isn't that the law of large numbers? Since encounters don't last long enough to be considered a large number why is that preferred over just obtaining an in game sample of what actually occures over the shorter time frame that is more applicable to an actual encounter and is a small number of occurances?
Last edited by Eldaquen on Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Murphy's Law:
Nothing is as easy as it looks.
Everything takes longer than you expect.
And if anything can go wrong,
It will, at the worst possible moment.

mining
Absentee Ballot Dev

Post by mining »

BlkMamba wrote:Dis check i think is great, useing the mages ab for the check made me laugh and still does
Think about what bigby 6 does. It has its own AB, which is actually pretty high - like 66 AB? That's going to have a chance of KDing stuff from 0 to 80ish disc.
Bargeld wrote:Overall, I think most would agree that a pure rogue is probably the worst build on the server.

Eldaquen
Newbie Helper

Post by Eldaquen »

I don't think the law of large numbers works because the game engine is not a true representation of a 6 sided die roll. I dare say the engine is weighted to higher numbers and gives very few 1's and 2's when determining damage output. In my collected data set there was no damage under 137, if it was truely random there would have been at least 1 under 100, but there wasn't.
Last edited by Eldaquen on Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Murphy's Law:

Bargeld
PKer

Post by Bargeld »

Dorf Elite Greataxe Crits. 'Nuff said.
Death Dealers ::DD::
Laufer - Gemetzel - Force - Little Fist - Egil - Torture - Hatshepsu - Nemesis - Hierophant - Supernaut - Flesh Hound - Insurrection - Antithesis - Dead of Winter - Volcanus 2000

mining
Absentee Ballot Dev

Post by mining »

Eldaquen wrote:I don't think the law of large numbers works because the game engine is not a true representation of a 6 sided die roll. I dare say the engine is weighted to higher numbers and gives very few 1's and 2's when determining damage output. In my collected data set there was no damage under 137, if it was truely random there would have been at least 1 under 100, but there wasn't.
Well, consider that you have 38 * d6: That is a reasonably large number, hence law of large numbers should have partially applied. The issue is that 140 arguably isn't enough given the 1/20 crit chance. 2 in a row isn't that unlikely and will kill most toons.
Bargeld wrote:Overall, I think most would agree that a pure rogue is probably the worst build on the server.

Eldaquen
Newbie Helper

Post by Eldaquen »

I didn't mean that 38d6 wasn't a large number in itself, but rather to apply the law of large numbers to arrive at the average damage dealt by bigby's level 6 may not work because the game engine is not a true representation of random dice roll.

After 517 casts of bigby's level 6 my average damage output was 178.54. Not much of a change, and that should be enough casts to cover a typical pvp encounter with multiple mages. Range was from 137 to 386. Odd that none were under 100 yet, you'd think at least 1 would have occured by now. Of the 517 casts 25 of them resulted in a critical hit.
Murphy's Law:

Korr
PKer

Post by Korr »

Eldaquen wrote:I didn't mean that 38d6 wasn't a large number in itself, but rather to apply the law of large numbers to arrive at the average damage dealt by bigby's level 6 may not work because the game engine is not a true representation of random dice roll.

After 517 casts of bigby's level 6 my average damage output was 178.54. Not much of a change, and that should be enough casts to cover a typical pvp encounter with multiple mages. Range was from 137 to 386. Odd that none were under 100 yet, you'd think at least 1 would have occured by now. Of the 517 casts 25 of them resulted in a critical hit.
Considering the number of possibilities that 38 d 6 can roll its not actually that surprising. Yes the end value is 38 - 228, but the combination to get that is probably well beyond the trillions. IIRC its roughly 6^38? Maybe one of the math guys can answer that for us.
Amoenotep wrote:korr is the greatest :(

ImageImage

mining
Absentee Ballot Dev

Post by mining »

My good friend wolframalpha can actually help us with this:

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=38d6

So yes - around 1/1542 odds, which is... rather low, lol.

Noob

Post by report »

Pyros says thanks for the ring and the boots.
The "low ac cots" killing machine (also known as the slayer of Chirrem) will retire soon, and is grateful to everyone who offered fun moments.
*waves*

P.S.: Yo Chirrem! RELAX!!! No more friendly bigs hitting your bum now!

Eldaquen
Newbie Helper

Post by Eldaquen »

After casting level 6 bigby's more but in higher plains where most npc's have bldg protection I am of the opinion that bigby's is alittle lite in damage output. Yes against someone with no bldg protection bigby's does a lot of damage, but against a foe with 25%/10 with racial or class level DR, then bigby's isn't doing enough.
Murphy's Law:

mining
Absentee Ballot Dev

Post by mining »

Eldaquen wrote:After casting level 6 bigby's more but in higher plains where most npc's have bldg protection I am of the opinion that bigby's is alittle lite in damage output. Yes against someone with no bldg protection bigby's does a lot of damage, but against a foe with 25%/10 with racial or class level DR, then bigby's isn't doing enough.
If a spell that's level 6 is doing less damage than a level 9 spell, and also providing a form of utility, I think it's doing alright for itself. If you want raw damage, bigby shouldn't be your first stop - consider maxed flame arrow, or IGMS, or any number of spells.

Eldaquen
Newbie Helper

Post by Eldaquen »

I did stop casting bigby's lvl 6 and switched to thunderclap and igms. I was just providing feedback from a non-regular arcane caster. Bigby's lvl 6 seem to be down to around 40 per hit. Arcane has plenty of offensive options to change to when faced with foes who wear bldg gear, so I suppose not critical.

From receiving end of bigby's hard to decide which is better wearing bldg gear for protection against bigby's lvl 6 but then being vulnerable to pierce (AA's) or wear pierce so dont have to worry so much about AA's but then mage's casting bigby's is worrisome.

Factions with bigby's option have nice added benefit that bigby's prepared raiders are vulnerable to pierce giving arcane's allies who deal pierce damage (AA) may have field day a with pierce damage.

Edit: thought of similar synergy in TC, but decided to keep quiet about it.
Murphy's Law:

Amoenotep
Lord DM Supreme

Post by Amoenotep »

wait..you mean it makes you have to choose what you want to take less of a beating from? i can't be immune to everything at all times? i call bs on that!
Mask, Lord of the Shadows
Gruumsh, One-Eye
amoenotep@hotmail.com
----------------------------------

cRaZy8or5e
PKer

Post by cRaZy8or5e »

What bigsby 6 allowed you to do was keep people at arms length, considering grasping hand doesn't work the way it used to, and crushing hand works against will saves ... sometimes.

Virtually every ability to slow a blinding speed melee toon has been nerfed. Pure mages are hosed. Apparently it has been decided that mages WILL be multiclassed.

*claps hands together*

Thats enough for me.

I'm out :P .....

at least for now .....
"Nobody Expects the Northern Inquisition!!!!"
-Blystos Re-

Korr
PKer

Post by Korr »

cRaZy8or5e wrote:What bigsby 6 allowed you to do was keep people at arms length, considering grasping hand doesn't work the way it used to, and crushing hand works against will saves ... sometimes.

Virtually every ability to slow a blinding speed melee toon has been nerfed. Pure mages are hosed. Apparently it has been decided that mages WILL be multiclassed.

*claps hands together*

Thats enough for me.

I'm out :P .....

at least for now .....
Karate still does alright for no AC and just epic warding for DR (wears no Ac/DR robes). Just gotta... run!

Nice an versatile though the different bigby, anti hipser, anti mage, and something for low disc builds.
Amoenotep wrote:korr is the greatest :(

ImageImage

Return to “General NS4 Discussion”