Why do archers suck mommy?

Talk about Neversummer 4 with your fellow players.
JesterOI
Resident Spam King

Post by JesterOI »

Last time I checked the bullets for slings were bludgeoning...
LVL 69 LFGS!!!
The Hasselhoff 4 3v3r!!! Metis n3v3r!!!

DrakhanValane
Arrogant Snob
Location: Five Minutes Before the End of Eternity (or Maryland, take your pick)

Post by DrakhanValane »

I stand corrected. So ATI should stop complaining because there are Slings for blunt damage and throwing axes for slashing.
If you tilt your head far enough and squint hard enough, anything becomes as simple or complex as you'd like--regardless of whether it is or not. -- A lesson learned from Stephen Wolfram's A New Kind of Science

JesterOI
Resident Spam King

Post by JesterOI »

Which helps if you are a ranger archer, but an arcane archer looses all their abilities if they use anything but a shortbow or longbow.
WM of ranged remember? But with a VERY limited choice of weapons.
LVL 69 LFGS!!!

DeputyDog
Addict

Post by DeputyDog »

Um, an archer doesnt get hit back... a fighter does so of course a fighter should do more.

Arcanes also get magical enhancement bonuses and can eventually totally negate stoneskin or premo.

Rogue archers get a nice sneak att bonus that can devestate anything not immune to sneak.

Archers are meant to be in a party or to run and shoot. They are very difficult solo.

Ill show some of you my lvl 25 arcane sometime that can take down any creature in the game with 1 tank acting as a meat shield just fine.
DeputyDog
Founder
Neversummer
gmcever @ gmail.com

https://www.facebook.com/neversummer4

ATI
Spamalot

Post by ATI »

I guess your right...but DV arcane archers can't use slings or handaxes effeciently. But This brings up my other sweet idea.....to get parties to synergize...increase the synergy tactics bonus so that parties are more willing to work together :D

But points well taken...no more complaining about arrows :D
I've tried fire, i've tried faith, and i've tried force, all I have left is hope.

DrakhanValane
Arrogant Snob

Post by DrakhanValane »

As I said, They're the WM of missile weapons (to a degree). WM can't use the weapons they didn't spec in as efficiently.
If you tilt your head far enough and squint hard enough, anything becomes as simple or complex as you'd like--regardless of whether it is or not. -- A lesson learned from Stephen Wolfram's A New Kind of Science

garrykasparov
Pk Bait

Post by garrykasparov »

I highly recommend giving some sneak damage to missle chars (including AA) via some rogue levels if you want to do damage to anything with piercing resists, but I know that this option is unavailable to some factions and also unappealing for some builds. You can close to HtH combat or switch to a throwing axe/sling (lol), but you're probably still going to do crappy damage since you're dex based char.

Hmm...one thing that might help to balance dex fighters (AA builds as only one in mind) is to change some of the Dam Resist on monsters to further immunities. Unfortunately, immunities do stack, so care would have to be taken to insure that no 100% immunities accumulate (unless warranted). Also note that a monster with 10/- resist and 50% immunity to a particular type of physical damage is going to absorb at least 20 points of damage as immunity is counted before resist.

I realize and enjoy the fact that NS4 forces one to switch weapons often to deal with differently resisting opponents. However, I have seen some enemies with decent resists/immunities to all three types of damage, which may be something to watch a bit. I generally only use finessers with sneak damage, but I can see how agitating this issue could be for someone who does not.

EvilIguana966
Noob

Post by EvilIguana966 »

Bullet! Does 50d8 piercing damage, 1d6 poison damage (if you breathe in the dust), 25d8 fire damage (from the DU burning). I suggest you use these instead!

You may need to get yourself a GAU 8A Avenger +1 to use the ammo though. 400 attacks per round

All you have to do is switch weapons!

AndrewCarr
Spamalot

Post by AndrewCarr »

I vote that we include that for all rangers in the Circle going by my name... :D

[Edit:] Deleted word
Lindon Erithar
and
Quickie Mart the <a href='http://www.cultofokie.com'>Okie Ambassador</a>

DrakhanValane
Arrogant Snob

Post by DrakhanValane »

Bah. How about some Depleted Uranium Boom Gun Flechette rounds? 3d6x1000 damage plus supernatural creatures can't regenerate.

Oh you need a Glitterboy (with Boom Gun) to fire them :)

Last edited by DrakhanValane on Mon May 10, 2004 1:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

JesterOI
Resident Spam King

Post by JesterOI »

"exceeding one million rpm"

http://www.metalstorm.com/04_technology_demo.html

Better than the avenger, but no where near as cool!
LVL 69 LFGS!!!

ATI
Spamalot

Post by ATI »

See...how come NS3 didn't have any of that?

Man I wish I had a phalanx anti air system, capable of 3,000 bullets a second with auto tracking and the ability to literally shread the opposition. Its has Depleted Uranium Bullets, armor piercing bullets. Its the ultimate in defense against anything. In DnD terms....God wishes he had a Phalanx system :D

I've tried fire, i've tried faith, and i've tried force, all I have left is hope.

bongoblue
Newbie Helper

Post by bongoblue »

penny-ante stuff.

Try this for damage.

Asteroids in atmospheric breakup have more and faster damage than even a phalanx.

Æ
Wheres the donation box?

Post by Æ »

*whips a Deathstar out of his pocket* }: )
{FotS} Ælæressai, Forsaken Avatar Of Ckær'evlon
14 Fighter/7 Weapon Master (Rapier)/1 Rogue [LA Outcast]

:[FotS]: Ælæressai, Forsaken Avatar Of Ckær'evlon
8 Rogue/1 Fighter/1 Shadowdancer [MA]

Acce
Noob

Post by Acce »

JesterOI wrote:Which helps if you are a ranger archer, but an arcane archer looses all their abilities if they use anything but a shortbow or longbow.
WM of ranged remember? But with a VERY limited choice of weapons.

That's the cost of specializing to much. You get great at what you're specialized in, until you meet something that counters it. (The same reason some species get instict when their habitats gets destroyed for some reason... :D )

Return to “General NS4 Discussion”