buffing someone else's characters without asking ?

Talk about Neversummer 4 with your fellow players.
DrakhanValane
Arrogant Snob
Location: Five Minutes Before the End of Eternity (or Maryland, take your pick)

Post by DrakhanValane »

Well, you can dispel me if you ask first and I say it's okay. The rest wouldn't mind in the least. Dispel away!
If you tilt your head far enough and squint hard enough, anything becomes as simple or complex as you'd like--regardless of whether it is or not. -- A lesson learned from Stephen Wolfram's A New Kind of Science

Æ
Wheres the donation box?

Post by Æ »

LOL, hunt him down and buff him

LOL at this whole thread, this is fun

And I didn't quite leave so you people still have to put up with me lol
My goodbye got me a bunch of mails asking me not to leave and reminding me how many friends i still have here }: )
I just won't be around much until I'm done moving anyway

And DV, just because I rip on you doesn't mean I dislike you... I'm an italian wiseass from brooklyn, and a guy, it's to be expected lol
{FotS} Ælæressai, Forsaken Avatar Of Ckær'evlon
14 Fighter/7 Weapon Master (Rapier)/1 Rogue [LA Outcast]

:[FotS]: Ælæressai, Forsaken Avatar Of Ckær'evlon
8 Rogue/1 Fighter/1 Shadowdancer [MA]

DrakhanValane
Arrogant Snob

Post by DrakhanValane »

I can still dislike you though. :) I get "ripped on" enough as it is.
If you tilt your head far enough and squint hard enough, anything becomes as simple or complex as you'd like--regardless of whether it is or not. -- A lesson learned from Stephen Wolfram's A New Kind of Science

bongoblue
Newbie Helper

Post by bongoblue »

Revenge wrote:Please, you're complaining because somebody helped you while you were a sitting duck? They tried to stop you from being so vulnerable, and you felt threatened? And so what if they were going to kill you? You were headed home anyway, it would have been a free teleport for you, saving you even MORE time....

Yes, I am complaining.

I wasn't sure I should, at first, but yes now I do feel I should complain.

I explained it all in my first post, no need for me to repeat why it bothered me.

They didn't ask first if my character even needed buffing. The character didn't need it. Sold the gear that was causing the encumberance, problem solved less than 2 minutes later.

I checked with someone who plays online alot. They would have reacted in a much less positive way than I did. I did ask, and they told me they haven't encountered such rudeness online, but had heard it does happen.

It looks like my gaming style is too different than any other gaming style used here.

I was kinda enjoying game play here.

I do think its very possible some of the responses to my confusion are fair and honest, and others are just trolling.

JesterOI
Resident Spam King

Post by JesterOI »

I wouldn't consider it rudeness, what I would consider though is saying, "thanks!" 8)

Lighten, stop being a hermit. If they were trying to kill you, ya be pissed off. But they were probably just trying to help. Like I said before, I would be thankful.
LVL 69 LFGS!!!
The Hasselhoff 4 3v3r!!! Metis n3v3r!!!

bongoblue
Newbie Helper

Post by bongoblue »

JesterOI wrote:I wouldn't consider it rudeness, what I would consider though is saying, "thanks!" 8)

Lighten, stop being a hermit. If they were trying to kill you, ya be pissed off. But they were probably just trying to help. Like I said before, I would be thankful.

My reaction is all based on the numerous posts I've seen about PKing.

I would love to lighten up. I am trying to, but some of the responses make it very difficult.

I'm not going to respond further to this discussion. It would serve any purpose.

Revenge
Pk Bait

Post by Revenge »

As a compulsive buffer and healer myself, I assure I honestly do feel confusion and worry over your reaction.

It hasn't been brought out so much because I haven't created a caster/healer char on this server, but for instance on Urath (PW Story) where I spend more of my time, I will without a moments thought or hesitation heal any injured people and cast bull's strength on anybody who is walking at a heavily encumbered speed. So far I have recieved only gratitude, as all the players I have done this too so far during my time playing NWN have acknowledged that I just reduced their chances of dying to something more threatening than me, and have been accordingly grateful for it.

I honestly can not even conceive of how unrequested help could be a bad thing. I really can not see one single negative side to it. Yes I'm sure you got a fright when you saw "Fred the Wizard is casting an unknown spell" and noticed that Fred was looking in your general direction as he was doing it, but the instant you saw that spiral swirl go around your head you should have known he was helping you (that spiral swirl ONLY occurs when a spell is increasing one of your stats).

bongoblue
Newbie Helper

Post by bongoblue »

Revenge wrote:I honestly can not even conceive of how unrequested help could be a bad thing. I really can not see one single negative side to it. Yes I'm sure you got a fright when you saw "Fred the Wizard is casting an unknown spell" and noticed that Fred was looking in your general direction as he was doing it, but the instant you saw that spiral swirl go around your head you should have known he was helping you (that spiral swirl ONLY occurs when a spell is increasing one of your stats).

Well, you made an honest post. So I'll answer it.

I am new to this game and have no idea what kinda magic swirl means what.

But I'm done with this discussion.

Æ
Wheres the donation box?

Post by Æ »

What's rude is you shooting off on the forums complaining because someone tried to help you... that's not just rude, it's ungrateful, and I agree with what one said further back, if I buffed you then you complained, I'd kill you for being so unappreciative... would you complain if you were bleeding to death and a cleric ran up and cast heal? or if you were dead and rezzed you? what about if someone saw you wearing weak armor for your level and ran up and gave you a better one he had lying around, would you take it as being called weak? no, didn't think so

I could understand if it was maybe a roleplay server and you played some crazy superstitious barbarian who hated or feared all magic or some paladin on a witchhunt crusade against warlock, but this is just some petty peeve you have as a person
Last edited by Æ on Thu May 06, 2004 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DrakhanValane
Arrogant Snob

Post by DrakhanValane »

If it's an appearance changing spell it will piss me off as Throst has pointed out. As I've said you're insulting me when you heal or buff me without asking or being asked. I hate it when people assume I want or would like something based on some preconceived notion they have that usually doesn't apply to me.

Æ
Wheres the donation box?

Post by Æ »

Well as of now I wouldn't help either of you even if you asked me to, you probably wouldn't even say thank you or vxx which is even easier to do }: P

Revenge
Pk Bait

Post by Revenge »

Well if I ever meet you ingame Drakhan, and you happen to be near death, I'll remember that you prefer to be finished and proven how weak you were instead of being healed and making it a fair fight :twisted:

Æ
Wheres the donation box?

Post by Æ »

lol, rolling on the floor here }: )

DrakhanValane
Arrogant Snob

Post by DrakhanValane »

I did complain when someone healed me from bleeding in NS3.

I object to your use of the term "fair fight" since in that context it wouldn't be.

powerferret
Pk Bait

Post by powerferret »

you complained when someone healed you from a bleeding state? if you wanted to die to get back to town or something, that i could understand, but if not....that borders on lunacy. Anyone who is angry at someone for helping them, especially if it does the person no harm, can be likened to the north end of a southbound mule.
Eagles may soar, but weasles don't get sucked into jet engines.

NS character: Aadrian Monk-Ranger Extraordinaire

Return to “General NS4 Discussion”