Your Armor discussion

Talk about Neversummer 4 with your fellow players.
Bargeld
PKer

Re: Your Armor discussion

Post by Bargeld »

Add another 5% and 5/- to +6 plates. Then be done with it... there are better fish to fry for the effort.
Death Dealers ::DD::
Laufer - Gemetzel - Force - Little Fist - Egil - Torture - Hatshepsu - Nemesis - Hierophant - Supernaut - Flesh Hound - Insurrection - Antithesis - Dead of Winter - Volcanus 2000

Carejo
Looking for group

Post by Carejo »

Amoenotep wrote:the fact that the dexr's can get more ac with the same amount of resistances on their robes is what stats putting them over the top. sure its more ac, but should they be afforded all the physical protections too.
They shouldn't get any physical resistances from robes. A robe is a piece of cloth. It might stop a spork, but that's it.

But that's talking logically. Logic can't always be seen as the only way simply for the sake of keeping gameplay fun.

I would say the Administration, including Developers, should sit down and make a decision about any major revision to NS4 first. After that, I would gladly throw my hat into the ring and help out.

Daral0085
Newbie Helper

Post by Daral0085 »

Carejo wrote:
Amoenotep wrote:the fact that the dexr's can get more ac with the same amount of resistances on their robes is what stats putting them over the top. sure its more ac, but should they be afforded all the physical protections too.
They shouldn't get any physical resistances from robes. A robe is a piece of cloth. It might stop a spork, but that's it.

But that's talking logically. Logic can't always be seen as the only way simply for the sake of keeping gameplay fun.

I would say the Administration, including Developers, should sit down and make a decision about any major revision to NS4 first. After that, I would gladly throw my hat into the ring and help out.
It's a heavily magically enchanted piece of cloth. As such, it's very easy to discard logic by simply invoking "magic", as is often necessary on an RPG server such as this. I mean, if we're pretending to be "logical", we can also get rid of 95% of elemental immunities (I mean really, a metal plate has acid immunity? Is that a joke? Acid dissolves metal.), and probably also clerics/wizards too, just to name a few examples. As you say, balance and gameplay can only really be the ultimate goal, because realism is quite thoroughly dead (which is not a big deal IMO).

My personal favorite unrealism is seeing crossbowmen reloading and firing 3-4 times per round, as if the crossbow were some sort of semi-automatic rifle that just reloads itself! I almost always laugh when I see that. *tries to imagine some super-epic crossbowman reloading once every 2 seconds in real life*
Last edited by Daral0085 on Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bargeld wrote:It's been shown in past relic events even, if NC actually has a decent amount of players involved, they will win.

Amoenotep
Lord DM Supreme

Post by Amoenotep »

Carejo wrote:

sometimes we could even get feedback on something before we nerf nuke it :)
Mask, Lord of the Shadows
Gruumsh, One-Eye
amoenotep@hotmail.com
----------------------------------

frogofpeace
PKer

Post by frogofpeace »

but getting knee-jerk half-hysterical feedback after the fact is so much more fun!

maybe drop DR/DI on robes 5% rather than up it on heavies

also, you may think the spork is a weak weapon, but it has 3 damage types, plus Bonus Feat: Dribble.
Three years of nursery school and you think you know it all.
- Dr. Michael Hfuhruhurr

mining
Absentee Ballot Dev

Post by mining »

Well, chainmail is actually very resistant to arrows, wheras plate armor woukd actually be punctured by bodkins occasionally.

As for the crossbow thing, we are talking about *superhuman* people here. The average commoner has 0 BAB, 10 in all stats, and has a feat in SF basketweaving.
With 20 strength I imagine you could quite comfortably reload a crossbow nearly as easily as a bow.
Bargeld wrote:Overall, I think most would agree that a pure rogue is probably the worst build on the server.

Carejo
Looking for group

Post by Carejo »

Amoenotep wrote:sometimes we could even get feedback on something before we nerf nuke it :)
Yeah. I'm not meaning to tell you your job or what to do. I was just suggesting. I trust the Staff with decisions more than I other players.
Daral0085 wrote:It's a heavily magically enchanted piece of cloth.
Well if plate armor is just as heavily magically enchanted, it would be twice as betterer!
mining wrote:Well, chainmail is actually very resistant to arrows, wheras plate armor woukd actually be punctured by bodkins occasionally."
I would say nothing is really resistant to arrows. Bodkin arrows are generally taken as armor-piercing heads, or built with that intent. It's a very pointed tip. And they can definitely penetrate plate armor if the circumstances are right. But I would say it would be more easy to puncture chainmail than plate. If they were using a broadhead arrow I would agree entirely that Chainmail is resistant to it.

Amoenotep
Lord DM Supreme

Post by Amoenotep »

what if every item lvl had a set limit of resistance/reduction assigned to it. then each class of armor gave a % of that based on what type it was.

robes could give 100% to elemental 25%physical

light armor would be 75% elemental 50% physical

medium would be 50%elemental 75%physical

heavy woudl be 25%elemental 100%physical

keep in mind these %'s would be a number reflective of the item lvl and what ever value was deemed appropriate at those lvls. so it would be the % of the base value.

shields could be worked around also

buckler 25% physical 10%elemental no negative

small 50%physical 20%elemental -1 dex

medium 75%physical 30%elemental -2dex

large 100%physical 40%elemental -3dex

tower 100%physical 50%elemental -4dex
Gruumsh, One-Eye
amoenotep@hotmail.com

Carejo
Looking for group

Post by Carejo »

Amoenotep wrote:what if every item lvl had a set limit of resistance/reduction assigned to it. then each class of armor gave a % of that based on what type it was.
Perfect.

cRaZy8or5e
PKer

Post by cRaZy8or5e »

I would put it 25% physical AND elemental for robes, 50% physical/elemental for light armor, etc.

Dexers should live off of not getting hit, and high reflex saves to avoid elemental damage. I know this will seriously hurt any dex builds out there without evasion (pure bards for instance) but I'm of the opinion that's as it should be.
"Nobody Expects the Northern Inquisition!!!!"
-Blystos Re-

Daltian
Relic Raider

Post by Daltian »

I disagree that Medium armor or Light should have less physical then heavy. Its robes that are the problem, medium and light are already penalized by lower AC.

Just adjust the robes and thats it. Leave medium and light alone. They are already almost never used anyway.
xXenox

Amoenotep
Lord DM Supreme

Post by Amoenotep »

thats kind of the point, they are already the same right now. so why would you use one item when another is the same but with no down side?
Gruumsh, One-Eye
amoenotep@hotmail.com

VagaStorm
Developer

Post by VagaStorm »

I think I'd probably prefear leving hevy and robes as they are since changing em will have a tremendous impact on the users(cahnging theese 2 types alters the life of almost evry toon), but give the unused(medium and light) a boost. Some medium armors have a boost with the dual resistance, maybe give em more of it, like full resistance/dr for its lvl but for 2 dmg types. I'm more unsure of the light armor, maybe make em with more enhancement, but they will still only be used by dexers with low dex. How about adding other bonuses to the light armors? The bard armor from hod is prety nice, and almost worth it.
Best Regards
VagaStorm

Why would I want to count 12 hours twice? I’m perfectly capable of counting to 24, and while we’re at it, can someone go shoot named time zones. GMT+x is all we need!

Amoenotep wrote:if you die to harper that just means your build sucks.

Nyeleni
Relic Raider

Post by Nyeleni »

Id say more magic resistance like elemental or negative, divine etc. prot. for robes and scaling it to standard weapon dmg (blunt, piercing and slashing) for heavy armour. Light and medium armour would be the compromise if you need protection from both types.

The same with shields.

25%/20- being the best you could get from any protection.
Aiya Mielikki! CELEB ALCONTARI CUYO ANANN!

For the Glory of Torm! Clericus Liberatus Anno Dominis - Gloria Triadis!

cRaZy8or5e
PKer

Post by cRaZy8or5e »

Addendum:

I like the dex penalties for large and tower shields, but I think small shields should be without a dex penalty (I missed that part of your post earlier). I think if you make shield penalties too heavy, dexxers will become the exclusive domain of monks.
"Nobody Expects the Northern Inquisition!!!!"
-Blystos Re-

Return to “General NS4 Discussion”