Low Magic DOES NOT mean no magic

Talk about Neversummer 4 with your fellow players.
JesterOI
Resident Spam King

Post by JesterOI »

I'm talking about possibly adding it in increasing +5 alotments to each higher level of armor to gain the +1 saves / +5 spellcraft vs spells
LVL 69 LFGS!!!
The Hasselhoff 4 3v3r!!! Metis n3v3r!!!

Gil-Este
Newbie Helper

Post by Gil-Este »

whoa...after reading your post i pulled out my manual and read the last sentence of the spellcraft check description. thats awesome. i have a reason to get spellcraft now lol.
O heat, dry up my brains! Tears seven times salt
Burn out the sense and virtue of mine eyes!

Bariagan
Noob

Post by Bariagan »

Gil-Este wrote:A Sun Elf Wizard. Lets make him say level 24. I've maxed his intelligence at every level so that comes out to 26.

Base DC: 10
Level 9 Spell: +9
Intelligence Modifier: +8
Epic Spell Focus: +6
Total DC: 10+9+8+6=33

Thats a 33 right there. And thats assuming he is naked and without any intelligence boosting gear.

Do clerics not get a bonus from wisdom? With the cleric I tested, it was not increased, which means if you raise saves to counter mage spells, clerics and other casting classes would suffer disproportionately.

One solution to the difficulty with saves then might be to remove the bonus from high intelligence. Would reduce the difficulty to more managable levels (29 max for level 9 spell with epic focus), which in turn would cause mages to use a greater variety of spells, rather than the instant death ones, as they usually don't do anything on a successful save.

dond
Newbie Helper

Post by dond »

clerics and druids get a bonus from wisdom last i checked...

sorcs and bards get a bonus from cha and wizs get a bonus from int

i don't think taking the bonus away from int is gonna save you from axon the sorc/paladin....

garrykasparov
Pk Bait

Post by garrykasparov »

Correct me if I am wrong but only the base spellcraft (i.e. those points put into the skill) factor into saves vs. spells, no?

Gil-Este
Newbie Helper

Post by Gil-Este »

you are correct as far as i know. it should work the same as tumble.
O heat, dry up my brains! Tears seven times salt
Burn out the sense and virtue of mine eyes!

Chimaira
Looking for group

Post by Chimaira »

I do not know if its fixed, but I know an old skool method of getting insane saves without wasting much armor room was to take 1 cross class rank of spellcraft, and then put a total of +28(usually you had 1 int mod) to spellcraft on armor, and put a bit of saves on items so your saves ended up at 25, and with +6 of spellcraft, your saves would be 31 vs spells, which meant you saved when rolling a 1 vs the maximum DC(32) possible back then. Only thing that needed to be a bit higher was fort(since implosion is 3 DC higher then any other spell) According to the rules this should not be possible however.

Return to “General NS4 Discussion”