Prestige classes and tradeskills

Talk about Neversummer 4 with your fellow players.
Llew Silverhand
Noob

Prestige classes and tradeskills

Post by Llew Silverhand »

I was just wondering if anyone can clear this up, I know that once you take a prestige level you can no longer progress beyond craftsman, but I was wondering, if one were to become a master artisan, and then take a prestige class, would we remain a master artisan? or be dropped down to craftsman?

Llew Silverhand
Noob

32 view and no one knows? Come on, can anyone explain please? I m trying to figure out whether I should wait till level 20 to take shadowdancer given that I woud be a master artisan at level 19, but if will just drop me, then I might as well take it now. So again, does anyone know? Thanks in advance.

crippe13
Pk Bait

Post by crippe13 »

Its on my list of things to check, but I'm a lot of levels+xp+time away from being able to test it.. sorry :(

TGPO
Dungeon Master

Post by TGPO »

Llew hows about being a helpfull beta tester and finding out. Let us know when you get through it.

*edit* I just reread my post and realized I came off like a smart ***, honestly Llew, if you would be kind enough to check on that it would be appreciated.*/edit*
Last edited by TGPO on Sun May 16, 2004 12:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
*Computers are alot like air-conditioners. They work great until you open windows*

Lunas
Pk Bait

Post by Lunas »

is that a bug that you cant progress or is it normal cause i know i advanced to journeyman after i took an assassin level

crippe13
Pk Bait

Post by crippe13 »

From Joran
If you have levels in Assassin, Blackguard, Cleric, Divine Champion, Dwarven Defender, Dragon Disciple, Paladin, Palemaster, or Shadowdancer, the maximum craft level you can attain is Craftsman (Level 3) in any Tradeskill (these classes have significant other duties to perform or skills to practice).

Llew was wondering what happened if you took levels in these AFTER attaining higher crafting levels (ie artisan, master artisan). Very good question, it just takes forever to advance far enough to test :(

ATI
Spamalot

Post by ATI »

an easier test of this would be to have char get artisan, or master artisan in a skill, then have that character multiclass into a class that doesn't allow artisan lvl crafting in that craft. See what happens :D If you are still an artisan (which I suspect you will still be an artisan due to the coding) then it should be fine with PrC's :D
I've tried fire, i've tried faith, and i've tried force, all I have left is hope.

Llew Silverhand
Noob

Thanks for responses guys, I didn't know no one knew, i'll test it asap

Hopefully, it won't kill my craft skills, But if it does, I'll also see if deleveling will bring it back.

So you guys should all know within a week or two, once the real time restricts pass.

LadyCheron
Developer

Post by LadyCheron »

Level 15 fighter, achieved Artisan level armor crafting. Took my next level as Cleric (unable to take any of the prestige classes) and was still Artisan level in crafting.

SmurfZG
Noob

Post by SmurfZG »

could you get to master artisan from there?

dond
Newbie Helper

Post by dond »

that would meen you have to lvl 19 without multi to get master artisan (and a lot of xp invested in that too!)

gl!

Bob
Newbie Helper

Post by Bob »

Just posting to confirm this - leveled up to 19 pure wizard, but only took crafting to Artisan. Took 1 level of pale master at 20, another level of wizard at 21, and am unable to progress to Master Artisan (at approx. 17.5k XP towards the skill).

I don't know, it seems like an unnecessary level of complication to me. As long as you have the requisite levels in the appropriate class, I'm not sure I see the harm in allowing progress in the trade skill. You could well make the arguement that monks, bards, druids, arcane archers, weapon masters, and (*shudder*) harper scouts all come with "significant other duties to perform or skills to practice", so it ends up seeming a little arbitrary.

With the hefty XP cost to make the upper level items and the real-time delays, I can't see the problem linking progression only to the primary class levels. Multi-classing early will slow down tradeskills, but am I missing some other possible abuse?

Joran
Spamalot

Post by Joran »

That's a good point, Bob. The upper end of the tradeskill spectrum is pretty hefty with the XP costs, and the system of limiting crafting classes was really more of a "quick fix". We'll probably flesh it out a bit more and turn it into something more sensible :)

AndrewCarr
Spamalot

Post by AndrewCarr »

Oh crap, just multiclassed to bard from ranger and i haven't maxed fletching yet, darn darn darn.
Lindon Erithar
and
Quickie Mart the <a href='http://www.cultofokie.com'>Okie Ambassador</a>

Bob
Newbie Helper

Post by Bob »

I think you should be OK with bard levels - was just using them as an example in my post, they aren't on the restricted list.

The Crafting info thread: http://www.nsrealm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=21

Return to “General NS4 Discussion”