A power-gaming exploit that needs fixin

Talk about Neversummer 4 with your fellow players.
bongoblue
Newbie Helper

Post by bongoblue »

Gil-Este wrote:especially if the character is online almost 24/7, because then the ip address wouldnt change so much

I have a cable modem. To get a new IP address, all I have to do is reboot the cable modem.

Hmm. But its within a range of possible ip addresses.

Daltian
Relic Raider

Post by Daltian »

Gil-Este wrote:yeah but all the ips will be more or less the same. and the pattern of ip changes on any one account could be tracked according to an algorithm to determine irregular change patterns. especially if there are two or three constantly changing IPs with one static one stuck in there. especially if the character is online almost 24/7, because then the ip address wouldnt change so much

You obviously don't know [censored] about IP adresses!
xXenox

Chimaira
Looking for group

Post by Chimaira »

Clang wrote:The only problem developing from this would be in-direct.

Lets say 4 people keep a fighter-type char always logged in till he hits mid 20s in level.

Then they make another one this time caster type.

By the time the caster hits Mid 20's (both getting 4 people playing them and using very loose math) the vast majority of the server will be well under 20th level.

The boredom having that kind of advantage will most likely lead to things that would be considered player griefing.

It also will end up as meta-gaming...
Using those characters to supply individual "personal" characters.

MY PROBLEM with meta-gaming.
<B>I got a uber leveled tank with some xtra gear that has no small value.
Why in the world would that person, if real, "GIVE" stuff to another char.</B>

I understand the problem you got with a lvl 1 fighter starting off with lvl 30 gear. But there are level limits on gear.
I have a situation which is actually a good example at how the average player would be effected, should transferring gear be considered illegal.
I have a bard, which I started out as, got pretty nice gear. Then I decided to make a sorcerer(I did not transfer any gear since I didnt have any really good robes, and even if so, I cant even use them), and when I went to Drow with a party(after of course, leveling quite a bit), a boss there dropped a pretty nice scimitar(and my bard has all the weapon foccusses in scimitars) WHY the HECK should I be forced to go back to Drow on my bard, kill the very same boss, and HOPE the scimitar drops, while the much easier(maybe not as RP-friendly) solution would have been to just give the scimitar to someone I known and then switch over to my bard so he can give it to me. Like its an excuse for RPing for my bard to say "Well in my past life as a sorcerer I remembered that I had found a very good weapon, and will now set out to find it as I know exactly where it is" And I wont even start about what RPing is involved in: "Aww not what I expected, guess Ill just leave the SL HQ, wait 5 mins, and then go back in to kill him again".

Lokey
-2 Penalty in Daylight

Post by Lokey »

Is it so onerous to ask that you consider your characters as seperate individuals?

Your mage finds a heavily enchanted broadsword--learn to use it or sell/trade it for something you can use. We hope there's some reusability in content as well, will your mage and friends deal with x creature in the same way as your bard and friends?

Well it's probably a good argument not to have unique items then...
Tep wrote:I login and there's a dwarf to kill. You can't ask for much more than that.

Alkapwn wrote:NC has the most amazing melee build there is. Its a friggin unstopable juggernaut of pain.

Alexiagold
Looking for group

Post by Alexiagold »

Heh if it matters at all I was by far the fastest leveling character out of the start gate, and I played my character only. No one else played my sorc. I just got lucky that the beta was released duing law school's reading weak, which basically means I had my last day of class, then a week of nothing, then 4 days till a final, then 3 days till another final, then 1 week till my last final. You do the math, I had plenty of time to waste playing the best PW ever :D .

Gil-Este
Newbie Helper

Post by Gil-Este »

Daltian wrote:You obviously don't know [censored] about IP adresses!

if thats what you think *rolls eyes* then enlighten me

i still don't see the problem with characters being shared. yeah its total lame RP-wise, but if they want to do it, how does it give them an advantage. they are going to level a character in less time but will have to share that character among multiple people. seems like more or less a fair trade to me.
O heat, dry up my brains! Tears seven times salt
Burn out the sense and virtue of mine eyes!

mumoogaipan
Noob

Post by mumoogaipan »

I think the problem is that people are assuming that the number one priority of the game is to enjoy a great game. This is wrong, we are here to test a great game. Complaints like this cant be fixed, and could happen on NS3 as well. Regardless, you should revel in the fact that at some point in time the character who is on 24/7 will get deleted and will have to start over because this is a beta test. ^_^

Return to “General NS4 Discussion”