XP and level differences

Talk about Neversummer 4 with your fellow players.
Drunken Dwarf
Noob

XP and level differences

Post by Drunken Dwarf »

Sorry if this has been asked and answered before:

What is the level difference before the XP penalties apply?

I think it is 3 levels difference before the lower level character starts to lose most of their xp from combat.

Does this apply to epic levels also?

Thanks in advance

mgrjebbo
PKer

Post by mgrjebbo »

well i dont have the actual facts but it seems that any level difference matters at any level.

Squikker2001
Wheres the donation box?

Post by Squikker2001 »

Im not 100% sure on this, but I believe optimal XP is obtained when there is 5 or less levels difference between the highest and lowest members of the party.

i.e lvls 10 to 15, with any number of people that are between or at those levels.

Also, I think your ECL is figured in after the level differences of the party.
"I can't make anymore new items for 24hours since the box ate my new boots." ~ Mloki

Binkyuk
Absentee Ballot Dev

Post by Binkyuk »

er. i'm pretty sure mgrjebbo is right. members of the party will be penalised if they're lower level than the highest party member. How much penalty seems to be a gradual progression and it's steeper than linear, but there's no arbitrary cutover when it goes from 'good' to 'bad', it's just up to you how much you're prepared to live with.

Note it's based on the highest single member of the party, so 5 level 10s partying with 1 level 13 is quite inefficient. OTOH if your highest member is 16 you can take on another 16 with no problems.

And yes, ECL is factored in *after* party adjustment, so a level N with ECL
2 can party with other levels Ns without penalising them.
So yes folks, party with those ECLers - that level 5 that kills with the fury of a level 7 gives *you* the same proportion of xp as that other level 5 that only fights like a level 5.

JesterOI
Resident Spam King

Post by JesterOI »

ECL only affects the player with it I believe.
LVL 69 LFGS!!!
The Hasselhoff 4 3v3r!!! Metis n3v3r!!!

VagaStorm
Developer

Post by VagaStorm »

JesterOI wrote:ECL only affects the player with it I believe.

That is true, but note that if you have ecl, you will get xp like you where the lvl of the highest in party + your ecl. So if you are 13 with +2 ecl in a party with a 16, you will get xp like you where 18, wich can be a bummer at times :shock:

disastro
Spamalot

Post by disastro »

VagaStorm wrote:
JesterOI wrote:ECL only affects the player with it I believe.

That is true, but note that if you have ecl, you will get xp like you where the lvl of the highest in party + your ecl. So if you are 13 with +2 ecl in a party with a 16, you will get xp like you where 18, wich can be a bummer at times :shock:

i wish the party xp rules were a little more relaxed for the sake of promoting partying. a one-level grace would be nice (if you are within 1 level of each other there's no xp penalty for anyone, maybe a bigger grace spread for higher levels.), and the highest level ecl thing is just horrifying at ecl3.

JesterOI
Resident Spam King

Post by JesterOI »

Considering what party XP was like when NS first went public, the way it is now was a godsend.

Though if what Vagastorm says is true, that could use a fix.
LVL 69 LFGS!!!

disastro
Spamalot

Post by disastro »

JesterOI wrote:Considering what party XP was like when NS first went public, the way it is now was a godsend.

Though if what Vagastorm says is true, that could use a fix.

yeah my level 31 gith (ecl3) cleric has hit a total xp wall, it was such a long process getting from 30-31.5 that i ended up rolling another toon and levelling IT to 27 in less time than it took to get that one level. (granted i know a bit more about the ways of the server now).

JesterOI
Resident Spam King

Post by JesterOI »

Finding a good party is the way to go.

I have an Aasimar atm, just got him to 37 lastnight. Only getting 86xp for moleppl now.

Will need to find a good HoD party or something. Maybe try Pos/Neg planes, haven't really been there much yet.
LVL 69 LFGS!!!

Mythri Wolfwood
Wheres the donation box?

Post by Mythri Wolfwood »

I find that even with hefty XP bonuses due to level gaps, I'd rather group than solo. Sometimes the XP/time is worth taking on the hit. With groups, I can tackle mobs I normally can't tackle solo, and, let's face it, soloing can be very boring.

JesterOI
Resident Spam King

Post by JesterOI »

That's the proper way to measure XP, XP / Time
LVL 69 LFGS!!!

Binkyuk
Absentee Ballot Dev

Post by Binkyuk »

don't forget to make it XP/Time - Deaths/Time
another way parties pay off. a death in a party usually only happens when everyone dies (barring running out of scrolls), so (theoretically) Death rate reduces quadratically according to party size.

Soloing really is for chumps in NS4... and i love that.

Rummybum
Newbie Helper

goin solo

Post by Rummybum »

actually soloing is for anyone who cant find a party. I wish people were more into parties, it's too bad that they only seemto occur in Ave, FD and planes.
Vastly confused

Alkapwn
PKer

Post by Alkapwn »

My observations have been ecl doesnt effect party xp at all just indvidual xp. CR is the key to the calculation of party xp .
eg. say a lvl 16 high party would go as follows defeating a CR 16
Lvl 16 - 100xp
Lvl 15 - 75xp
Lvl 14 - 50xp
lvl 13 - 25xp

and say the lvl 15 had an ecl 1 her would recieve 50xp..

this is a rough estiamate and not full proof by any means.
The progession of higher CR changes this formula drastically. In the planes ive been in a wide range of parties like 5 lvls fighting cr 5 above the highest lvl in the party and the variance drops drastically

Ive almost noticed in party of 2 with 2 levels apart and ecl2 high and the lower lvl get almost the exact same xp. also depending on cr lvl
::DD:: Minister of Hatemongering and Enemy Carpaccio
:MADD: Resident SlackMaster and KittenPuncher

Return to “General NS4 Discussion”