Deleting Characters

Talk about Neversummer 4 with your fellow players.
Sagil
Pk Bait

Deleting Characters

Post by Sagil »

Could we introduce some means of deleting a character you don't want to use anymore? Currently I got two bugged chars that I'd simply like to remake.. :?
I have opinions of my own, strong opinions - but I don't always agree with them!

TastyTreat
Looking for group

Post by TastyTreat »

I agree that being able to delete characters (even if they're not bugged) without having to bother a DM is a good idea. This isn't the most urgent feature but would be very helpful in the long run (whenever you iron out the more important bugs).

Mz_Shadow
Wheres the donation box?

Post by Mz_Shadow »

A tip. Create a new charater with the exact same name and the old one will be gone.

Sagil
Pk Bait

Post by Sagil »

I just tried it, won't work. When I create a new character with the same name as my old (bugged) one, the server tries to load the old one while the new one gets deleted (or simply thrown away..). :cry:
I have opinions of my own, strong opinions - but I don't always agree with them!

DrakhanValane
Arrogant Snob
Location: Five Minutes Before the End of Eternity (or Maryland, take your pick)

Post by DrakhanValane »

Aye, I've always seen it act as Sagil describes, so I've always recommended against it. Why do you think there were so many v2 and v3 etc. tags floating around in NS3? :)
If you tilt your head far enough and squint hard enough, anything becomes as simple or complex as you'd like--regardless of whether it is or not. -- A lesson learned from Stephen Wolfram's A New Kind of Science

Nerdlor The Destroyer
Site Admin

Post by Nerdlor The Destroyer »

Marking characters for deletion is certainly doable, but I can't guarantee it will be done quickly since there are a number of other improvements the Devs are currently working on. Until we have something like that in the game, you can PM me your username and character you want deleted. I'll find you in-game to verify, and then take care of it.

Souldin
Pk Bait

Post by Souldin »

Isn't there a way to make an NPC ask you if you want to delete your character or something like that. I think i saw that on Howard's LOTR or something... lol, I dunno i didn't stay on that server for long but i did think that the character deletion method looked useful.
-Once known as "Stealth"-

Souldin Reijn now adays

---

"Shutup and eat your cheese sandwitch."

---

Nerdlor The Destroyer
Site Admin

Post by Nerdlor The Destroyer »

Due to the deeply integrated database system, deleting characters is much more involved in NS4 than simply deleting the character file from the vault. As such, certain precations nee dot be taken to make sure nothing can happen that would... well... blow up the system.

AndrewCarr
Spamalot

Post by AndrewCarr »

I renamed my char(as i gave him 9 cha and 11 str, which totally wasted a stat point) on this server when i just started and it worked. Replaced the old one, char location and all, with my new one with his inventory and everything. At least i think it was this server. Other times i've had it work the opposite way.

Sagil
Pk Bait

Post by Sagil »

Well, I guess during beta we can just as well chose some other names rather than bothering you to delete the chars for us manually (better don't offer this, or you'll be flooded I would guess.. :P ), just thought it would be important to have this feature once we leave the beta stage.. 8)

Return to “General NS4 Discussion”