Clarification needed re: special races

Talk about Neversummer 4 with your fellow players.
Tigsen
Noob

Clarification needed re: special races

Post by Tigsen »

I noticed that some of the special races, after listing the benefits, say something like "level adjustment +3". I'm guessing that this means a character of said race has 3 added to their true level for purposes of determining how much XP they'll get from killing monsters? Is that indeed how it is used and are there any other circumstances under which it is used and how?

Thanks,
Tigs

TGPO
Dungeon Master

Post by TGPO »

Hole in one Tigsen. Its used exclusivly for exp calculations.
*Computers are alot like air-conditioners. They work great until you open windows*

Downfall
Noob

Post by Downfall »

i would like to know how it works, i am a Aasimar and i get A LOT LESS XP than many others, even my minimum xp is affectd :(

TGPO
Dungeon Master

Post by TGPO »

Simple if your char level is 1 and your ECL is 3 you collect exp as if you were level 4. Add your ECL modifier to your current level to get what level you are actually gaining exp at.
*Computers are alot like air-conditioners. They work great until you open windows*

Throst54
Addict

Post by Throst54 »

i think it should also be changed so that a ecl 3 person can only obtain lvl 37 and go no higher....
otherwise, ppl are going to technically have a lvl 43 character...
Type post, tab tab enter, wait 4page 2 load, shift+tab tab enter, REPEAT!!!

Quiett
Looking for group

Post by Quiett »

I'm still not convinced that a lvl 1 Aasimar Paladin has the same strenght as a lvl 3 human Paladin. Just thinking about the AB and HP I would think that the lvl 3 would kick the lvl 1+2 ecl character every time.

But my Question is really, does the ECL come into play when you're examineing a monster to show the difficulty. ie. 'Overpowering', or 'Easy' I would think that it should considering you're supposed to be 1-3 lvls more powerful.
There are 10 types of people in the world.

Those that know binary, and those that don't.

http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting.php

Souldin
Pk Bait

Post by Souldin »

this is all confusing and i don't see the point.
-Once known as "Stealth"-

Souldin Reijn now adays

---

"Shutup and eat your cheese sandwitch."

---

DrakhanValane
Arrogant Snob
Location: Five Minutes Before the End of Eternity (or Maryland, take your pick)

Post by DrakhanValane »

Nah, The calculation is hardcoded by bioware. Class Levels vs. creature CR. Might be possible with a hak, but those aren't happening. :)
If you tilt your head far enough and squint hard enough, anything becomes as simple or complex as you'd like--regardless of whether it is or not. -- A lesson learned from Stephen Wolfram's A New Kind of Science

Throst54
Addict

Post by Throst54 »

Quiett wrote:I'm still not convinced that a lvl 1 Aasimar Paladin has the same strenght as a lvl 3 human Paladin. Just thinking about the AB and HP I would think that the lvl 3 would kick the lvl 1+2 ecl character every time.

that's b/c it's the immunities and ablities that the assimar gets make up for the 2 lvls, wheras a regular lvl 3 person gets thier regular stuff.
Type post, tab tab enter, wait 4page 2 load, shift+tab tab enter, REPEAT!!!

Downfall
Noob

Post by Downfall »

TGPO wrote:Simple if your char level is 1 and your ECL is 3 you collect exp as if you were level 4. Add your ECL modifier to your current level to get what level you are actually gaining exp at.

are you sure because a lvl 25 (no subrace) gets more minimum xp than me lvl 22 +3 ECL

-=Mushra=-
Noob

Post by -=Mushra=- »

just curious.

are you poeple actually reading what it said in the posts?

the ECL level does not count as a char level. you can not make lv 43. you make lv 40 just like everyone else.

the ECL just makes sure your char gets the xp as if he was 1/2/3 levels higher then what is shows.

it is for xp calculating only.

so yes a lv 3 player would beat a lv 1 player with a ECL of 2

cause hes 2 levels higher.

Terminal Insanity
Newbie Helper

Post by Terminal Insanity »

if you have ecl+3, and you are level 2, you are level 2 but you gain XP as if you where lvl 5 (+3 levels higher)

It should be pointed out in the docs, and also what ive been wondering is if MY ecl effects my party members XP, or is my ecl ignored when deciding my party members xp?

Kaz
Noob

Post by Kaz »

Your ECL has no effect on your party members.

From my experience as an ECL 3 player in sleeth, they just arn't worth it. It is a very harsh xp cut. As for limiting it to make is so they can only recieve level 37, thats pretty much a joke.

I managed to make it to level 8, before giving up in bordem. I also have Robes of the Master, but it simply isn't worth the time taken to level that character. When I log into my character, thats the last one I will pick. Simply put, I can level another character at least 2x faster (yes ecl 3 only cuts your xp by an extra 3 levels, but that rarely means you can take the monsters you could if you were 3 levels higher).

Personally, I think the ECL's need a little work, but thats anohter topic that can be found in the suggestions forum.

Terminal Insanity
Newbie Helper

Post by Terminal Insanity »

ive made a number of ecl +3 chars in sleeth, 2 mages and 1 dex rogue (BIG mistake there) and now ive got a +2ecl str fighter

As for the mages... they where hard to level, during 1 - 5 but it doesnt realy get any better untill you get around lvl 15.
my ecl+3 rogue.... is HORRIBLE. no XP anywhere, even things that take him 5 minutes to kill give him 8xp. Dex rogues (and probably any dex melee char) is very harsh to level, at least from sleeth.
My str +2ecl melee char however... the easist char ive ever leveled. he is lvl 5 right now and taking out ogres solo. i was never able to do that with my mages... my mages where still trying to pick off the gargoyles and lepords... the dire boars and bears where very harsh too

The problem also, mages naturaly have little strength (most anyway) and carrying those kits around realy weighs them down, so they never make it far from home without runnung out of kits... str fighters on the other hand just stock up on 200 kits and run to avendell... from lvl 1 to 5

If your character is lawfull, and not str based, consider xfering a formian link to your char. Its not realy lame 'powerleveling' because the actual summon doesnt last long (but the higher level you get the longer it lasts). that thing saved my sorc a number of times from rats

AndrewCarr
Spamalot

Post by AndrewCarr »

Downfall wrote:
TGPO wrote:Simple if your char level is 1 and your ECL is 3 you collect exp as if you were level 4. Add your ECL modifier to your current level to get what level you are actually gaining exp at.

are you sure because a lvl 25 (no subrace) gets more minimum xp than me lvl 22 +3 ECL

Yeah, that should be like that, it may not be the best thing, but it makes sense. Here's why:

Gradually the min xp for creatures increases, until about the point that most guards con white. Then it hits a good enough point to lvl off of, and from there it increases at a pretty good rate. The reason an ecl char will get more is at those lvls you notice the difference more, and so a lvl25 char will get more min xp(i think like 13 xp total) than a lvl22(who gets like 10 or 11)
Lindon Erithar
and
Quickie Mart the <a href='http://www.cultofokie.com'>Okie Ambassador</a>

Return to “General NS4 Discussion”