NS4 Unofficial Map

Talk about Neversummer 4 with your fellow players.
Ting
Noob

Post by Ting »

The graphics JoeFaust did do have their merit; there is a lot of information presented at once, in a clean layout. Unfortunately it based off of using a tool that is both in beta, and wants to charge for it's use. Another problem is figuring out where you are; while you might know that you are in the Black Hills, if you are really lost you would need to wander quite a bit for JoeFaust's map to become helpful (which area of the Black Hills are you in?).

If there was a tool similar to this, I might end up using it. However, I don't think that it is a substitute for what you see on your automap, and I think that JoeFaust's style of map is much more likely to cause people to skim through areas. Rather than being able to look at 5 or 6 areas as just a little bulge off the main track, they would need to click through them and along the way realise that there is quite a bit out there.

bongoblue
Newbie Helper

Post by bongoblue »

That map has problems in that the map I based it on, the ns4 map on the ns servers, is all close enough to one color my eyes have a difficult time figuring out what are roads, and what are rivers.

The other problem I've having is that the mapping program I'm using Campaign CartographerPro by ProFantasy, is based on a CAD engine.

Its maps are exact, in that you can find out distances between points, which the original map doesn't have. So I just 'estimated by guess' the size of the neversummer map. And thats what I drew. Oh, Profantasy has a free viewer if you don't have the program.

If there was a Neversummer map, in colors, I would be happy to convert it to a CampaignCartographer map. A map that has almost infinte zoom. I wouldn't mind one with the rivers and roads being labelled either. Well, colors would be enough.

In case you all don't know, CC2Pro can import bmp files of maps, and the mapper can trace over those and then insert things like areas of green for forests, blue for lakes, etc. Then add symbols for cities, villages, Evil Areas, Good Areas, etc.

If you want to see my extensive, for my ad&d 1e campaign, maps they are at:

http://crestar.drivein-jim.net/index.html

Over 700 map files there.

Jim

bongoblue
Newbie Helper

Post by bongoblue »

kiros wrote:Maping out the entire areas might spoil the fun... Players could stop exploring areas because they know the main path... and miss great places (caves, houses, etc.)

There could always be dotted lines for less travelled paths leading off the main road.

And a sign that says 'possible short cut'.
Searching for eternity, dreaming, for the key to open twilight.
- - - -
Jollyblue/Bongoblue blog NS3 and NS4 site updated November 24, 2004

Sakad the II
Looking for group

Post by Sakad the II »

How bout we just map the area's and not put any trails on them, that way they are not just following the well traveled routes and get into a rut of not exploring.
Mortimer Kune (CLAD)
Rhia Kune (CLAD)

JesterOI
Resident Spam King

Post by JesterOI »

For those with no maps, the compass in the lower right does work properly :D
North in one area is the same north in a different area.
LVL 69 LFGS!!!
The Hasselhoff 4 3v3r!!! Metis n3v3r!!!

Brennan068
Looking for group

Post by Brennan068 »

Just curious how this project is coming along. Is anything mapped now? What needs to be mapped?

bongoblue
Newbie Helper

Post by bongoblue »

I haven't made any changes to the map I started.

time being one problem, and the gray scale of the original map being the other. I have problems seeing the map clearly as far as detail goes.
Searching for eternity, dreaming, for the key to open twilight.
- - - -
Jollyblue/Bongoblue blog NS3 and NS4 site updated November 24, 2004

Sakad the II
Looking for group

Post by Sakad the II »

I forgot about that..... :oops:
Mortimer Kune (CLAD)
Rhia Kune (CLAD)

bongoblue
Newbie Helper

Post by bongoblue »

Sakad the II wrote:I forgot about that..... :oops:

No problem, but if someone where to fix that gray scale map, so I could read it better. I'll update my map.

in other words, mark the rivers in blue and roads in black.

Oh, and some of the hills and trees sort of look alike... color the tree areas green, and the hills brown.

Put it up on a web site and post that info here.

I'll grab it and I'll fix my map up to match that. If its in bmp, I can directly import it into Campaign Cartographer. Trace over it, and after a bit of work, I'll be done.

Levan75
Noob

Post by Levan75 »

I have 3/4 mapped NS4, I am using a multi layerd PSD format, with the background layer as the official map and then a number of sub layers to simplify the underground and above ground areas. If anyone would like a copy send me your email. I am going to host it but I need to get it uploaded in the mean time send me your emails via Private message and I will email you either the PSD or the jpeg up to you

Edit: here is the link to the upload
NS 4 Map low res

AndrewCarr
Spamalot

Post by AndrewCarr »

A couple things about that last map. Melencia Forest is misspelled(as "Melencie Forst")

and isn't li norarla on the left side of the first deep woods area?
Lindon Erithar
and
Quickie Mart the <a href='http://www.cultofokie.com'>Okie Ambassador</a>

The Rizz
Noob

Post by The Rizz »

Personally, I like a map more like this: http://therizz.50megs.com/NS4_Map_Demo.gif

Ting
Noob

Post by Ting »

Hmm, I do like that map style The Rizz, but how difficult was it to make? With so many areas that style might not be practical.

The Rizz
Noob

Post by The Rizz »

Hmmm... isn't too difficult once you've got the style down.
Most of the time was taken up trying to find a good scale/fonts/etc. and exploring areas to get the maps done.

Other than that, I've mostly done the maps themselves while watching TV, so it's hard to guage how long it really takes ... I did 5 pages of maps in about 6~8 hours of TV shows, but since I'm paying more attention to the TV than to the work on the maps, that's hardly a good estimate of time.

TheBestDeception
Developer

Post by TheBestDeception »

I prefer the official map style, as it is easily printed and taped to the wall next to my comp for quick reference.

Return to “General NS4 Discussion”