Restoration and Level Drain

Talk about Neversummer 4 with your fellow players.
Murkill
Noob

Restoration and Level Drain

Post by Murkill »

Just a question, why is it you need greater restoration to remove level drain? I just can't understand this... And please now bs like "it's more challening" or anything like that, because yes it might be more challenging but its also annoying and it just makes no sense. There's reason why that was there, and make a better effort informinf people about it, like inclunding that it wont work in the items description.

lord_modred
Spam Master General

Post by lord_modred »

it's a more powerful curse than others and there fore requires a more powerful remedy to cure it.
"O cruel fate, floating through the void of space like gravity's plaything. O to be thusly boned. Ask not for whom the bone bones, it bones for thee."

help save world hunger!

HealingBreeze
Pk Bait

Post by HealingBreeze »

I think what he's saying is that in the NWN manual restoration reads as follows:

4th-Level Cleric Spell
Restoration - Removes most effects, including level drain and blindness.

I can think of only 3 possibilities for this:
1) Typo on the part of Bioware
2) Changed for Neversummer
3) Bug

DrakhanValane
Arrogant Snob
Location: Five Minutes Before the End of Eternity (or Maryland, take your pick)

Post by DrakhanValane »

It's number 2.
If you tilt your head far enough and squint hard enough, anything becomes as simple or complex as you'd like--regardless of whether it is or not. -- A lesson learned from Stephen Wolfram's A New Kind of Science

Murkill
Noob

Post by Murkill »

lord_modred wrote:it's a more powerful curse than others and there fore requires a more powerful remedy to cure it.

If it's so powerfull then why would you get it from a succubus which in NS is alot weaker, and if it's so powerfull why is it that I got it when a botched a roll, and since i site there making my chracter have at least decent saving throws... now understand it's beta, but there's is no reason to need greater restoration, restoration itself is powerfull enough, and if you compare how powerfull the curse is with the remedy they're equal. Completely unecessary and it shold be changed, there's a reason in the first place why restoration was able to remove level drain.

AndrewCarr
Spamalot

Post by AndrewCarr »

On hit lvl drain from things like vamps and the ghosts is pretty nasty. Perhaps that could be changed so it could be cured by restoration, while energy drain would still require a greater restore.
Lindon Erithar
and
Quickie Mart the <a href='http://www.cultofokie.com'>Okie Ambassador</a>

DrakhanValane
Arrogant Snob
Location: Five Minutes Before the End of Eternity (or Maryland, take your pick)

Post by DrakhanValane »

Consider that Enervation is a level 4 spell. Enervation's effects go away after a period time (resting also removes). Energy Drain is permanent (until you die, get a greater restore). Energy Drain is a level 9 spell. How effective is a level 9 spell if a level 4 spell easily removes the effects? On hit level drain is tricky. It's hardcoded if used as an item property, and I think it is.
If you tilt your head far enough and squint hard enough, anything becomes as simple or complex as you'd like--regardless of whether it is or not. -- A lesson learned from Stephen Wolfram's A New Kind of Science

Spura
Wheres the donation box?

Post by Spura »

Mage level 9 spell Energy Drain produces a level drain effect, therefore your suggestion can't be implemented. "Perhaps we could make level drain be cured by restoration, while leaving level drain still requiring greater restoration".

lord_modred
Spam Master General

Post by lord_modred »

i think lvl drain from items is a temporary effect as well though... of course i could be mistaken...
"O cruel fate, floating through the void of space like gravity's plaything. O to be thusly boned. Ask not for whom the bone bones, it bones for thee."

help save world hunger!

Murkill
Noob

Post by Murkill »

DrakhanValane wrote:Consider that Enervation is a level 4 spell. Enervation's effects go away after a period time (resting also removes). Energy Drain is permanent (until you die, get a greater restore). Energy Drain is a level 9 spell. How effective is a level 9 spell if a level 4 spell easily removes the effects? On hit level drain is tricky. It's hardcoded if used as an item property, and I think it is.

The whole point is that its still effective, if you're not a cleric then you're still pretty screwed and have to look for a cleric while under the effect. Now if you're a clerci then you should have the priviledge to remove it easier, because you're a cleric... It's completely unecessary, and i know have said this alot of times already, but people shouldnt have to suffer this much because they botched a roll, and until they take out the automatic failure in rolling a 1 this shouldnt be implemented.

HealingBreeze
Pk Bait

Post by HealingBreeze »

You know, ou could just have somebody kill you...THAT removes level drain too, and you don't need to search out a cleric to have it done either :lol:

AndrewCarr
Spamalot

Post by AndrewCarr »

Heh, unfortunately some people have gotten into a habit of sneaking and lvl draining people(well, me at least :p ) and no one kills you after that, because they know being lvl drained just short of death is a worse punishment.
Lindon Erithar
and
Quickie Mart the <a href='http://www.cultofokie.com'>Okie Ambassador</a>

JesterOI
Resident Spam King

Post by JesterOI »

Actually having clerics that you can buy healing from in the temples would be awesome!
LVL 69 LFGS!!!
The Hasselhoff 4 3v3r!!! Metis n3v3r!!!

HealingBreeze
Pk Bait

Post by HealingBreeze »

Just go fight a random person you know can kill you. Odds are they'll attack back. Hell, depending on how low a level you're drained to, a newbie could kill you. Of course, that might be bad for your reputation, being pwned by a lv2...

JesterOI
Resident Spam King

Post by JesterOI »

I usually just ask the person to kill me, and remove my armor, shield, and weapon to be killed faster and more safely for the other person.
LVL 69 LFGS!!!
The Hasselhoff 4 3v3r!!! Metis n3v3r!!!

Return to “General NS4 Discussion”