NS4 Unofficial Map

Talk about Neversummer 4 with your fellow players.
Ting
Noob

NS4 Unofficial Map

Post by Ting »

I have heard of several people trying to map areas on their own, but I don't know of anyone who has had much luck. I had an idea of a system of graphical maps, but it would take the participation of more than just a few members of the community to make it useful. Would anyone feel like contributing to a community map? Do you think a little friendly contest between guilds would help?

kiros
Noob

Post by kiros »

I think it is a great idea. Especially that the official map shows focus points only. And it could be interesting to have a map of the underground.

Though, I think it would require time and a good system to map the areas in order to be interesting and effective.

I'm curious to see your idea to build a graphical map.
"And now, may I make a right choice to change the evil fate of this unhappy day"
-Aragorn son of Arathorn
### Furion Whitehorn - Cleric (RK) ### Eledril Agurindar - Ranger/Rogue (LA)

Ting
Noob

Post by Ting »

http://people.clemson.edu/~carrol4/

This is a link that explaines the idea. Directions could be given from a known point to the destination simply as a series of zone numbers. I was planning on starting at Avendell and perhaps each of the faction's cities and working out from there.

JesterOI
Resident Spam King

Post by JesterOI »

LVL 69 LFGS!!!
The Hasselhoff 4 3v3r!!! Metis n3v3r!!!

Ting
Noob

Post by Ting »

Those are good links JesterOI, and certainly good for general directions, but I was thinking about having a map that would put you on the doorstep of where you were looking for. Unfortunately I don't think that the zones fit together nicely enough to be made into one 2D map; and there is the trouble of underground areas. What would make this much easier would be if there was a tool to dump the current automap directly from the NWN application...

Sakad the II
Looking for group

Post by Sakad the II »

Ill help.. Ill do rk strong hold to NC captial tonight
Mortimer Kune (CLAD)
Rhia Kune (CLAD)

Ting
Noob

Post by Ting »

Excellent!

JesterOI
Resident Spam King

Post by JesterOI »

Personally I think it's more fun to go out and explore and find your own way. 8)
LVL 69 LFGS!!!
The Hasselhoff 4 3v3r!!! Metis n3v3r!!!

Ting
Noob

Post by Ting »

Then don't use the map. :P

Sakad the II
Looking for group

Post by Sakad the II »

Do you want the auto map to be fully expanded for the screens? Becuase some area's are messy to try and use the large automap..
Mortimer Kune (CLAD)
Rhia Kune (CLAD)

Lokey
-2 Penalty in Daylight

Post by Lokey »

Expect a rework of the underground areas in the near future (less bottleneck, more directions to go and so on) especially those around the starting cities for RK and SL.

Hate making promises, but don't want you to spend too much time mapping out something we're planning on changing to.

By the way, liked Joe Faust's map a lot.
Tep wrote:I login and there's a dwarf to kill. You can't ask for much more than that.

Alkapwn wrote:NC has the most amazing melee build there is. Its a friggin unstopable juggernaut of pain.

Ting
Noob

Post by Ting »

True, I did notice that the maximized version would require a lot more reworking... I think the medium size would be best, as the larger does not really add more detail.

Sakad the II
Looking for group

Post by Sakad the II »

To Ting: Will do

To lokey: Thank you for giving me hope that the tunnels for Rk will be desigend :D They are far TOO LONG TO TRAVEL. And since the tunnels are changing start off in the black hills.... Time to get to work :D
Mortimer Kune (CLAD)
Rhia Kune (CLAD)

kiros
Noob

Post by kiros »

What I had in mind is more the kind of graphs that JoeFaust did... (see Jester's links in this post).

That kind of map can help to locate yourself after a long journey, it can help you get home more quickly (but still slower than by being killed).

Maping out the entire areas might spoil the fun... Players could stop exploring areas because they know the main path... and miss great places (caves, houses, etc.)
"And now, may I make a right choice to change the evil fate of this unhappy day"
-Aragorn son of Arathorn
### Furion Whitehorn - Cleric (RK) ### Eledril Agurindar - Ranger/Rogue (LA)

Lokey
-2 Penalty in Daylight

Post by Lokey »

Other mapping problems to tackle ;)

Bio may fix the spawnable wall memory leaks someday (the part at the end of SoU that was a slideshow). Could do some interesting things with them.

Nothing of the type in yet, but a few planar areas will have randomized destinations (but we wouldn't split up a party...at least very seldomly and only for a very good reason). You thought it was easy to get lost in Enchanted Forest :twisted:
Tep wrote:I login and there's a dwarf to kill. You can't ask for much more than that.

Alkapwn wrote:NC has the most amazing melee build there is. Its a friggin unstopable juggernaut of pain.

Return to “General NS4 Discussion”