can someone explain the multiple damage type 'bug' to me?

Talk about Neversummer 4 with your fellow players.
rkanodia
Noob

can someone explain the multiple damage type 'bug' to me?

Post by rkanodia »

Hi all. In PnP D&D, weapons with multiple damage types are generally treated as using the most advantageous type for a given target. However, I see lots of posts on this board talking about how multiple-type weapons (such as halberd and morningstar) are bugged, acting in the LEAST advantageous way. I wanted to try this out, so I tried using three different weapons against ordinary skeletons. Those weapons were:

Masterwork Iron Morningstar (B/P)
Masterwork Iron Mace (B)
Masterwork Iron Dagger (P)

Damage Immunity protected the skeletons against 5 points of damage from each blow with the dagger. With the mace and the morningstar, the skeletons took full damage. Can someone explain to me what I'm missing?

JesterOI
Resident Spam King

Post by JesterOI »

I've done testing myself.
From what I have seen, Morningstar's act predominantly as bludgeoning weapons. They skip peirce resist.

Longswords and [censored] Swords will suffer from both slashing or peircing resists. Which is why I don't use them.

My 18 fighter is a general weapon user, as such I have only taken the improved crit feats for scim, rapier, and warhammer, what I consider the best single handers from each single physical damage type.

Personally I try to avoid using any dual damage type weapons.
LVL 69 LFGS!!!
The Hasselhoff 4 3v3r!!! Metis n3v3r!!!

rkanodia
Noob

Post by rkanodia »

Hmm, I just did some testing on a Forest Giant and it looks like you're right about the Morningstars. Thanks.

Return to “General NS4 Discussion”