Bard +spell slot item question

Talk about Neversummer 4 with your fellow players.
AndrewCarr
Spamalot

Bard +spell slot item question

Post by AndrewCarr »

Well, i'm a bard with 8 cha, which means no spells to choose from at level up. It's not a problem really since I chose bard for tumble, use magic device, spellcraft, and sorta for the bard song, but I was hoping that adding a cloak that gave additional bard spell slots would let me cast those spells. Turns out it doesn't. Does anyone know if a similar thing would've happened if I had taken sorc levels, and if it's meant to be this way?
Lindon Erithar
and
Quickie Mart the <a href='http://www.cultofokie.com'>Okie Ambassador</a>

Joran
Spamalot

Post by Joran »

Have to have 11 CHA + spell level to cast the spell, in NWN this is implemented as you can't get the spell slot unless you have that much CHA. Now, if you have 15 CHA as a level 1 you can use an item that gives a level 4 spell slot successfully, but only if you have the right amount of the stat.

AndrewCarr
Spamalot

Post by AndrewCarr »

Makes sense, ty.
Lindon Erithar
and
Quickie Mart the <a href='http://www.cultofokie.com'>Okie Ambassador</a>

Dyson
Pk Bait

Post by Dyson »

Correct me if I am wrong, but having a 15 cha won't let you cast a 4th level spell just cuz you have a bonus slot item. That trick only works for divine casters. Classes that have to select spells on level up (Wiz, Sorc and Bard) don't get access, but they can use the slot for metamagiced versions of lower level spells they already know.
=CI= Dyson of AO
=CI= Hack of AO, still looking for =CI= Slash...
=CI= Kyran of NC

TTG
Looking for group

Post by TTG »

That is correct. The other classes don't know all the spells, wheras divine casters know all their spells once their WIS is high enough.

DrakhanValane
Arrogant Snob
Location: Five Minutes Before the End of Eternity (or Maryland, take your pick)

Post by DrakhanValane »

In fact the trick only works with divine casters who have spell casting abilities. By that I mean it doesn't work for Rangers or Paladins until they get at least their first level spells (level 4).

For The arcane classes you have to pick spells, so it defeats the trick for the most part. However I believe you can still meta-magic with those higher level slots even though you don't have any normal spells at that level.
If you tilt your head far enough and squint hard enough, anything becomes as simple or complex as you'd like--regardless of whether it is or not. -- A lesson learned from Stephen Wolfram's A New Kind of Science

X-I-L
Pk Bait

Post by X-I-L »

Think this trick might work with wizards as they prepare spells the same way clerics do. Would just need to learn the higher lvl spells from scrolls if you wanted to use them at low lvl.
I sense a soul in search of answers...

DrakhanValane
Arrogant Snob
Location: Five Minutes Before the End of Eternity (or Maryland, take your pick)

Post by DrakhanValane »

The reason that doesn't work is wizards can't learn a spell off a scroll that's above their current abilities (no fireball learning until 5th level). All Divine spells are automatically known.
If you tilt your head far enough and squint hard enough, anything becomes as simple or complex as you'd like--regardless of whether it is or not. -- A lesson learned from Stephen Wolfram's A New Kind of Science

-=Mushra=-
Noob

Post by -=Mushra=- »

uhm well that might work for you that way darken, but i got a wiz with 19 int, and learn a lv 9 spell les take wail, then get a item that gives me a lv 9 spell slot i can use it perfectly, the spells are bound to int not the level.

diff story with sorc, a sorc with 19 cha could easily cast a lv 9 spell if he had it memorized, since a sorc gets spells by leveling up and not reading scrolls he will have to wait.

dond
Newbie Helper

Post by dond »

a lvl 4 wiz with 19 int cannot learn lvl 9 spells.

X-I-L
Pk Bait

Post by X-I-L »

If u have items that give you extra spell slots for it then I'm pretty sure they can cast metamagic spells for those slots even if they're not high enough lvl...
I sense a soul in search of answers...

Kirg
Newbie Helper

Post by Kirg »

Metamagic yes, all other spells no...

BR

Return to “General NS4 Discussion”