Aasimar light broken?

Talk about Neversummer 4 with your fellow players.
kain124
Looking for group

Aasimar light broken?

Post by kain124 »

Ok I think I've addressed this before but bringing it up again since fighting 2 hipsers w/129 spot effectively. I can understand it is an opposed roll, and I have to be in detect mode (I was both times), but how is it that a toon with 90 spot can't see a hipser in the aasimar light at lvl 39? At all, not even once. I thought all skills were capped at 125 or there abouts somewhere?

Nefarious
Looking for group

Re: Aasimar light broken?

Post by Nefarious »

I think a plus 40 to bonus to spot is pretty crappy and I also think SPAMING hips is pretty crappy, but O well you must have done something wrong or calculated something wrong. :mrgreen:

Lorkar1

Post by Lorkar1 »

Did these HiPsers have epic rings of shadow? It seems a few favored ones were able obtain them through DM's.
You'd think that any item whether it be ring of shadows or some item with MS ability would have a counterpart.
As far as I know there is not a Ring of the spotting type with the same bonus as the epic ring of shadows. Then you have the ranger/hipsers that are ghostwise, so they have the token, mass camo and one with the land which all stack. Throw on a cloak a couple of rings and voila.

Read carefully people this is not a complaint merely an observation. Complaints are considered whining and criticism is considered flaming. And the pat answer is your build sucks, build better and game on.
Well no complaints, no flames and I will build better....elsewhere.

mgrjebbo
PKer

Post by mgrjebbo »

think there was a topic on this already...
Amoenotep wrote:Interesting turn of events.....

disastro
Spamalot

Post by disastro »

i'm not sure how the skills system stacks with debuffs. since its quite possible to get 140+ hide, its possible that a debuff works against that before the 127 cap. so even if you overkill on hide, it helps you vs debuffs.

at least, thats what it looks like from your problem, assuming aasamir light does what it says on the box.

so 90 spot is far, FAR from competitive, even with aasamir (90 spot vs 110 effective hide == lost cause). keep in mind that spot in general is not competitive by design on this server... dont expect to ever do well with it vs a decently built hider. do the math on +spot vs +hide gear. the very best you can hope for in spot is a 50% chance to see them every 6 seconds, on a bad streak its possible to die before that 50% goes your way.

Lork, there IS an epic ring of awareness that gives +spot/listen to match ring of shadows. but i have no idea how to get one and history shows its easy to get a ring of shadows.

if you cant get your actual spot into the 120 range without aasamir, you are best off spending your skill points and feats elsewhere entirely and forget about the hiders. for the record, 109 listen is also useless vs the decent hide builds too.

Nyeleni
Relic Raider

Post by Nyeleni »

It's easier to get a ring of shadows than awareness? Now that is funny, both are DM drops...
Aiya Mielikki! CELEB ALCONTARI CUYO ANANN!

For the Glory of Torm! Clericus Liberatus Anno Dominis - Gloria Triadis!

Amoenotep
Lord DM Supreme

Post by Amoenotep »

a long time ago in a galaxy far way before the dm prize area a dm would ask you to make a choice of certain items....

imagine their surprise when everyone on the server wanted the +4 book or the epic ring of shadows...

lol, everyone always picks the shadows, never the awareness. now somehow its our fault because no one thought ahead enough to get the counter to the shadow....good job ;)
Mask, Lord of the Shadows
Gruumsh, One-Eye
amoenotep@hotmail.com
----------------------------------

kain124
Looking for group

Post by kain124 »

Sorry I thought the point of a cap was just that a cap, and a debuff was a debuff. So if they can get there hide/ms to 140+ then it is impossible to spot them outside a divination focused cleric, gotcha. As for dm events I have seen less than 5 in the seven months I've been on, I assume they are busy with ns5, but needless to say w/out even a lvl 35 toon for these, I don't have any +4 books or epic items (outside guardian greaves) for any of my characters. Actually best items I have are the random ia drops from the dwarves/planes.

disastro
Spamalot

Post by disastro »

Amoenotep wrote:a long time ago in a galaxy far way before the dm prize area a dm would ask you to make a choice of certain items ... now somehow its our fault because no one thought ahead enough to get the counter to the shadow....good job ;)
well a few problems with that sentiment:
1. dm prize area has been around as long as i have been on ns. i've been part of many events and all i've ever seen was the dm prize area. i guess i'm sol along with all the other noobs?
2. people are still getting rings of shadows somehow.
3. i had no idea there WAS a ring of awareness until somebody mentioned it on the boards, and no dm ever liked me enough to just drop one on me ;)
4. due to engine caps on skills, rings of shadows will do more for a hider than a ring of awareness will do for a lot of previously competitive listen builds.

so while i do appreciate that there is history on this issue that i'm unaware of, it's not exactly "all our own faults."

kain, how the engine works for skills is something the devs here may not be able to fix: some things are hardcoded to the game and can not be addressed short of making everyone download a hak (which last i checked is strictly out of the question for ns).

Amoenotep
Lord DM Supreme

Post by Amoenotep »

skill bonus's that don't really cap are only affected by skills that can roll over the cap. hide/ms are capped at 127..no matter what you want or do, it won't go over that. i can't even get it over that with a super hacked up leto'd dm avatar. so i'm not entirely sure where your getting 140 hide vs the 127 cap spot..
Mask, Lord of the Shadows
Gruumsh, One-Eye
amoenotep@hotmail.com
----------------------------------

disastro
Spamalot

Post by disastro »

Amoenotep wrote:skill bonus's that don't really cap are only affected by skills that can roll over the cap. hide/ms are capped at 127..no matter what you want or do, it won't go over that. i can't even get it over that with a super hacked up leto'd dm avatar. so i'm not entirely sure where your getting 140 hide vs the 127 cap spot..
just theorizing on kains problem... why the debuff for aasamir light doesnt seem to help vs a hider. 1. either the light debuff is busted (an easy answer and no fun :) ), or 2. its working and yet still not enough.

so the question is: how do skill debuffs work against skill buffs, given the caps? if i get +60 to a skill through buffs (and getting properly capped at +50), what happens if i subsequently get a -10 skill debuff? does it apply after the cap, strictly reducing my skill by 10, or does it apply before, in which case my "extra" +10 helps against the debuff and i lose effectively nothing?

LinuxPup
Professor Nerfalicious

Post by LinuxPup »

Since they don't get Keen Sense, it can be tough to spot... you have to spam detect mode unless you're standing still, and I'm still not sure how well even that would work... I'd take an elf with 110 spot more than an Aasimar with an effective 140 spot.... keen sense is priceless.
Lead NS4 developer

[ Brilhasti ap Tarj ]
[ ...Darkfalz... ]
[ Azchekelon ]

disastro
Spamalot

Post by disastro »

kain mentioned that he was in detect mode, so he should have been getting his full spot.

Celorn
Relic Raider

Post by Celorn »

disastro wrote:
Amoenotep wrote:skill bonus's that don't really cap are only affected by skills that can roll over the cap. hide/ms are capped at 127..no matter what you want or do, it won't go over that. i can't even get it over that with a super hacked up leto'd dm avatar. so i'm not entirely sure where your getting 140 hide vs the 127 cap spot..
just theorizing on kains problem... why the debuff for aasamir light doesnt seem to help vs a hider. 1. either the light debuff is busted (an easy answer and no fun :) ), or 2. its working and yet still not enough.

so the question is: how do skill debuffs work against skill buffs, given the caps? if i get +60 to a skill through buffs (and getting properly capped at +50), what happens if i subsequently get a -10 skill debuff? does it apply after the cap, strictly reducing my skill by 10, or does it apply before, in which case my "extra" +10 helps against the debuff and i lose effectively nothing?
I've been spotting SDs with my human toon (no keen senses) for a long time now without too much trouble, I can usually land a KD when they least expect it and then it's all over. The main problem is when there are lots of distractions going on

My newer elf spotter is definately a LOT better, since you can chase SD running & hasted - very good for ranged-attacking SDs.

I've also tested the Aasimar aura in the 'lab' as well as in 'real world' pvp combat and it definately DOES work well for me in both cases.
ImageImage

disastro
Spamalot

Post by disastro »

Celorn wrote: I've been spotting SDs with my human toon (no keen senses) for a long time now without too much trouble, I can usually land a KD when they least expect it and then it's all over.
you've been fighting crap SDs.

Return to “General NS4 Discussion”