Eliminating excessive timeout wait (join multiplayer screen)

Official announcements about NS4 from the Developers and DMs.
mining
Absentee Ballot Dev

Eliminating excessive timeout wait (join multiplayer screen)

Post by mining »

For win, there's a replacement, see http://www.nsrealm.com/public/ns/viewto ... &t=1003673

While the master server is down, everyone is (unsurprisingly) irked by the long timeout. If you don't have premium modules or anything else that uses the bio auth server, blocking that in a way that returns a no connection error will remove that timeout.

Bypassing the long timeout is fairly easy:

For Win users (possibly mac as well? Don't know, try it and see, more likely to be related to linux method, which Lokey is still working on)

Find your hosts file.
Should be in %SystemRoot%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

In general, navigating from your root directory (mine is C, yours might be some drive like J)
windows > system32 > drivers > etc > hosts (no extension)

If using Vista/Win7: Open notepad as an administrator. Copy the path in the address bar of windows explorer. Use the "open file" option of notepad, paste in the path, and open hosts.
Everyone else (XP): Open hosts with notepad.

Should look something like this:

Code: Select all

# Copyright (c) 1993-2009 Microsoft Corp.
#
# This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
#
# This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
# entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
# be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
# The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
# space.
#
# Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
# lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
#
# For example:
#
#      102.54.94.97     rhino.acme.com          # source server
#       38.25.63.10     x.acme.com              # x client host

# localhost name resolution is handled within DNS itself.
#	127.0.0.1       localhost
#	::1                 localhost  
Add this line at the end of it:

0.0.0.0         nwmaster.bioware.com
Then save as "hosts" (no extension).

There, done, boots up NWN and try to log in, should be much faster.
Bargeld wrote:Overall, I think most would agree that a pure rogue is probably the worst build on the server.

Lokey
-2 Penalty in Daylight

Re: Eliminating excessive timeout wait

Post by Lokey »

/etc/hosts in linux.

0.0.0.0 maps back to local host, so it won't immediately return can't reach host, which is what we want. An illegal address like 256... returns error immediately, just not the right one. Reserved dev ips (100.something) don't work for this either. More research needed (and what happens in lin is probably also similar for mac).

Ah, the sweet smell of success.

0.0.0.1 worked for me, it might for you. The trick is finding an address that will timeout immediately as opposed to spit out one of a number of network errors win doesn't distinguish between.

ping 0.0.0.1
connect: Invalid argument returns to shell immediately

As root:

echo '0.0.0.1 nwmaster.bioware.com' >> /etc/hosts
(Return that text, append it to the file /etc/hosts.) Putting a # in front of that entry or removing it will remove the lockout on the bio auth server.

Note that the nwn2 master server domain is nw2master.bioware.com, and pretty sure the same method will work there.
Tep wrote:I login and there's a dwarf to kill. You can't ask for much more than that.

Alkapwn wrote:NC has the most amazing melee build there is. Its a friggin unstopable juggernaut of pain.

Lokey
-2 Penalty in Daylight

Post by Lokey »

Alright, asked the mac losers how to do this; file is /etc/hosts and it needs root perm to mess with like lin.

256.0.0.0 is worth trying, 0.0.0.0/1 didn't work. You need to flush dns after, and that's different on every mac version, so good luck.

Further word:

sudo sh -c "echo '256.0.0.0 nwmaster.bioware.com' >> /etc/hosts"
Tep wrote:I login and there's a dwarf to kill. You can't ask for much more than that.

Alkapwn wrote:NC has the most amazing melee build there is. Its a friggin unstopable juggernaut of pain.

DM_Sultan
Dungeon Master

Post by DM_Sultan »

Works like a charm. Thank you for this.

Sultan
Torm the Loyal Fury

Lokey
-2 Penalty in Daylight

Re: Eliminating excessive timeout wait (join multiplayer scr

Post by Lokey »

Do the same for peerchat.gamespy.com would be a temp "fix" for problems that just cropped up (plug pulled on some ancient server somewhere recently). It doesn't fix the nick dupe nag screen, but it's been fixed by skywing for nwn2, virusman has the info to update nwncx.

I'll let you know when nwncx (thread at http://www.nsrealm.com/public/ns/viewto ... &t=1003673 ) updates.

Lokey
-2 Penalty in Daylight

Re: Eliminating excessive timeout wait (join multiplayer scr

Post by Lokey »

virusman has an rc to fix the mp list. check the link above and don't forget to take that line out of your hosts file.

Return to “NS4 News and Announcements”