Windows 10

The Gelded Geek: Any issues relating to hardware, troubleshooting computer issues for NWN1 and NWN2, building a new computer, etc
frogofpeace
PKer

Windows 10

Post by frogofpeace »

I've been having all sorts of problems with lag lately, like for the last few weeks, I mean like the program would freeze up when more than 2 NPCs came into view.. I tried a bunch of the standard fixes (turn all the vid options down, disable sound ...), and what looks like it works was to switch my CPU affinity from core 0 to core 1.

Two questions:

1. NWN already looked to be running on a single processor. Why would switching to a different one help?

2. How can I get the affinity to stay on core 1? looks like it reverts to core 0 every time I restart the game.
Three years of nursery school and you think you know it all.
- Dr. Michael Hfuhruhurr

Bargeld
PKer

Re: Windows 10

Post by Bargeld »

It's not core 0 or core 1... it's "CPU Affinity" True(1) or False(0).

Video Drivers.

Check Ports
Try 5121 in the direct connect shortcut if you use that.
Example "Target" = "C:\Program Files (x86)\Neverwinter Nights Diamond Edition\nwmain.exe" +connect ns4.nsrealm.com:5121

In nwplayer.ini set:

[Game Options]
Memory Level=1
Memory Access=1
Client CPU Affinity=0

[Profile]
Client Port=5123
Game Port=5121
Death Dealers ::DD::
Laufer - Gemetzel - Force - Little Fist - Egil - Torture - Hatshepsu - Nemesis - Hierophant - Supernaut - Flesh Hound - Insurrection - Antithesis - Dead of Winter - Volcanus 2000

frogofpeace
PKer

Post by frogofpeace »

Thanks, I already had those settings in the .ini.

I actually went to task manager -> right click on the NWN process "Show Details" -> right click "Set Affinity" and changed the core from 0 to 1. I just wondered what that was doing, life is learning!

May have been a driver update that messed it up though - I've had that happen where I had to roll back to a previous driver version.
- Dr. Michael Hfuhruhurr

frogofpeace
PKer

Post by frogofpeace »

I started having a lot of trouble with crashes and lag the last week or two, after the "Creators Update" or whatever the last big windows update was called. My lappy wouldn't actually complete the update, and I had to do a fresh install - that ultimately seemed to make my system run a little better over all EXCEPT for NWN.

I finally disabled the NVidia control panel from launching on startup (had to go to services.msc and set all the NVidia apps I saw to "Manual"; I couldn't find a setting in the app). NWN runs much more smoothly now.
- Dr. Michael Hfuhruhurr

Return to “General Computer Support”