Comp building resources 2016

The Gelded Geek: Any issues relating to hardware, troubleshooting computer issues for NWN1 and NWN2, building a new computer, etc
Lokey
-2 Penalty in Daylight

Comp building resources 2016

Post by Lokey »

Time to replace the 10 year old comp built on 15+ year old tech. Don't care if I build myself, but can't seem to find good pre-assembled easily.

http://www.logicalincrements.com/ a good resource? Ars Technica builds? I'd certainly fish around for supporting opinions and linux compatibility on my own.

Want to replace current case and lags in solitaire GPU as well as of course a modern cpu/mobo/ram combo and . Maybe mix the fair/good tiers and grab a well recommended SSD?

With a bit of glancing around, the 750ti GPU, I don't need latest gen games power.
Tep wrote:I login and there's a dwarf to kill. You can't ask for much more than that.

Alkapwn wrote:NC has the most amazing melee build there is. Its a friggin unstopable juggernaut of pain.

Tarias
Noob

Re: Comp building resources 2016

Post by Tarias »

Depending on your budget I'd recommend either a current gen i5 or i7. Overclocking only if you want to spend more than $1200. I'd probably recommend waiting for the next generation nvidia cards (1070, 1080) to release, might lower prices of older cards. How much you spend on your motherboard largely depends on how many USB and other ports you want, and if you want to use an M.2 SSD you might have to spend a bit more. I also recommend using http://pcpartpicker.com/. I could propose if a build if you give me a budget, or try to help with specific questions.

Lokey
-2 Penalty in Daylight

Post by Lokey »

I used most of your advice, sorry I didn't thank you for it sooner.

Plunked down for something like http://pcpartpicker.com/list/thh4d6 We'll see when the pile of stuff gets here, and yes, am waiting to see what the prices/redesigns on the nVidia 10 series look like later in the year. Til then it's go go 460 (the intel on the mobo might be better, I'll need to check that but doubt it).
Tep wrote:I login and there's a dwarf to kill. You can't ask for much more than that.

Alkapwn wrote:NC has the most amazing melee build there is. Its a friggin unstopable juggernaut of pain.

Lokey
-2 Penalty in Daylight

Post by Lokey »

Ok plugged everything together, very quick and easy with that motherboard and case. Case is rather large, but it's quiet until you crank the fans to max, I should have looked at the horizontal motherboard options more, but space isn't really a problem for me. Everything seems to work.

Mint 18kde released, I looked at and seems something I can work with. Getting my nwn dev stuff together will take a bit of time, need to read up on what a good wine setup will be. Would have gotten this far yesterday but I forgot when to use a root command-line and when you can just use sudo (i.e. not with dd command because it'll fail at the end of write and it won't look wrong til you try to use it in some cases like authoring a liveusb stick) :)

My gt430 is a dog, intel onboard is way up the gpu ladder on it, so I'll try it. Hopefully it'll last until a good budget card hits for the nVidia 10 series.

Return to “General Computer Support”