Vid card advice

The Gelded Geek: Any issues relating to hardware, troubleshooting computer issues for NWN1 and NWN2, building a new computer, etc
Wolfarus
Newbie Helper

Vid card advice

Post by Wolfarus »

Around november, ill be putting together a new high-end gaming / multi-media desktop, with the intention of it lasting (w/o upgrading anything, unless something breaks/dies) at least 3 years, preferably 4-5 years.

Ive already got a pretty good idea of the components im going to use, but im having a hard time deciding what to do in terms of vid cards. Ive settled on 2 options :

1. Get 2 Geforce 9800 GTX cards, 512mb each, and run them in SLI

2. Get a single geforce GTX 280 card (1 gb)

Both options will run me pretty much the same $, but im really not sure which will give me the best performance run for the time frame i mentioned. Any advice?

Daltian
Relic Raider

Re: Vid card advice

Post by Daltian »

I know I wouldn't buy SLI setup. It simply isn't worth the money. Either buy one 9800gtx or one 280 if you can afford it. SLI has problems with many games and even more problems with some software that uses 3d graphics. And with 3D being used more and more in new applications it will only give you headache.

SLI needs fine tuning for every single game to get any performance increase over the single card setup, and many games don't go over 25% increase even with best fine tuning. Also, with every new driver installation you have to do it again. Remember also that SLI setup is 2 cards and you have two times the chance of something going wrong.
Also for SLI setup of that kind you need a SERIOUS power suply. While 280 needs strong PSU, 2x9800gtx needs a monster. Anyway. 2x9800gtx in SLI is similar in performance as 280 but you will get a lot less problems with it. And if its same price I'd say go for 280. You'll be very happy about it.

Some info here too, but don't take it for granted. They live from adds afterall.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/bes ... ,1987.html
xXenox

ashsagoon
Wheres the donation box?

Post by ashsagoon »

The new Radeon HD 4800 series is blowing away anything Nvidia has at this point. If you can afford it, the best card you can pretty much buy would be a Radeon HD 4870 x2. It's a dual video card in one. If you can't afford or don't want the dual, get the single 4870. I have a 3870 and love it. I haven't found anything it can't run well (other than Crysis in super high graphics although I haven't tried with my new proc).

If you really want to stick with Nvidia, wait until they come out with something better than the gtx 280. From what I hear it's kinda disappointing.
PWnD by Squishee
LinuxPup wrote:you probably just didn't realize your builds sucked

Amoenotep
Lord DM Supreme

Post by Amoenotep »

i have a friend that runs SLI nvidia 7800gt's or something similar. 256mb a piece. never has any problems and runs some games/apps bettr than my single 8800gts 640mb. strange, but true.
Mask, Lord of the Shadows
Gruumsh, One-Eye
amoenotep@hotmail.com
----------------------------------

Return to “General Computer Support”